Space Junk City

turpentim

Post by turpentim »

Doug, I know you and I don’t have a history of camaraderie like you do with some others here, but as a father of daughters I feel compelled to let you know that my heart goes out to you. I simply cannot imagine. May you find comfort and love in everything you do.

Tim in the ATL

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Rich! Great to hear, er I mean read your voice. I appreciate it. She did so well for so long, but her boyfriend slipped and she followed. The unknown fentanyl addition took her but not him. She dealt with bipolar type 1, rheumatoid arthritis and addiction, as you know, for a long time. 6 years clean, but it isn’t easy.
We haven’t backpacked in years but plenty of hiking and car camping. Thank you, my friend. Nature is the best cure.

How is the bread game, you Teamster badass? Tell Alisha hello

Talus

Post by Talus »

dcarter wrote: I’m debated riding 6 miles to Cigar City Brewing to catch the last day of teachers get a free pint month. Haha!l:
Coincidentally, I just enjoyed a Jai Alai from Cigar City. Can't have too many, drunk on crutches (broke tibia hiking) is not good.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Hey Doug, so sorry to hear about your Daughter. I know she was struggling ages ago. I can't imagine what grief you must be going through, hopefully time will heal what can be healed.

I hope you still get out on backpacking trips. They certainly keep me in a better mental state.

Tom: I've caught the smoking bug a bit, but work doesn't let me do too many of those 12 hour cooks.

Peace everybobdy

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Just to be clear, I’m only talking about Saturday and Friday. Friday has a 3:50 start time. Also that’s all dependent on whether or not we’re spending time with the 2 youngest grandkids. No drinking Sunday through Thursday, unless during vacation.

Still riding my bike, but it’s a quality man bike. Maybe that’s why I’ve never been bricked again. Wife is in Orlando chaperoning students. I’m debated riding 6 miles to Cigar City Brewing to catch the last day of teachers get a free pint month. Haha!

Love that you cater. Damn. Maybe we’ll take the Indiana route to WA for some quality barbecue.

The front half of my head is still bald and the back half is still close-cropped to 1/8 inch. Grey, like my hipster beard.

Greg, you’ll definitely be buying me beer(s) before we head to the PNW.
:lol:

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Greg sounds like you're very busy111 I remember those days well, practices and games year round plus my daughter did cheer leading and gymnastics. I kind of miss it but I also just enjoy watching the grand kids play and then going home.

Still doing the BBQ thing, enjoying it as much as ever. Do a few catering gigs a year, like the money but truly like watching people enjoy BBQ made with a little extra time and effort chain restaurants can't put into their product.

Beard is almost completely grey, but still have a full head of hair with very little grey. My dad and both grand dads had very impressive hair their entire lives and I guess I inherited that.

Awesome catching up with some of the old timers.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Wisdom comes with age, my friend. Grey hairs. Hell, I looked like fucking Gandalf until I trimmed about 4 inches off of my beard about a month ago. :lol:

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I think I am just like you now Doug. Early bedtimes, craft beer and even some Futbol. Oh and some grey hairs.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Greg, me too! I go to bed at 9 PM. Have for at least 20 years. I can’t understand someone wanting to drink at night. Ideally start at 2ish, eat at 6ish, watch TV, bed at 9. That’s livin’.

Go to 5 or 6 shows a year. Just saw Tweedy solo at the Tampa Theatre. Top fucking drawer. Went to the 97s in St. Augustine area in January.Always a great show.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Doug, I cannot even imagine what that pain is like. I gotta say it seems like it would be hard to recover from and the best one could do is just try and cope. My best to you and Elizabeth and your other daughter.

I get out to maybe one or two shows a year. Damn near impossible if it is a weeknight. Plus I like day drinking and going to bed at 10pm.

Believe it or not my oldest is about to turn 13 and will probably get the hell out of here as soon as she can.

Let me buy you a beer before heading to WA. Maybe once new New World opens...will that ever happen?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Tom and Greg,
Thank you for the kind words. Losing a child is as bad as you imagine. My full grieving was somewhat delayed, as I quickly realized we both couldn’t be depressed. I held it together for many months until Elizabeth was relatively better. With the year just happening too, it’s sort of like it happened recently.

Jim, forgot to congratulate you on the 2 new grandchildren. They are the best.
Damn, Tom, 8! That’s old school. Good for you.
Greg, I’m glad the girls are growing and life is good. I remember seeing fewe shows at that time in my life also.

I’m going to go cook breakfast. Speaking of food, how’s the smoking life,Tom?

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Howdy folks! Good to see some old names. DC, so very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter.

I am still doing whatever the hell it is I do here in FL. I don’t really get out to many shows l, but still listen to too much music. We try to travel when we can, but that has even become challenging as my girls have gotten older and compete in sports year round.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Oh Doug I am so very, very sorry to hear that.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Gentlemen, hello. My only online presence is here and Via Chicago. I have no interest in FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Still 3 grandkids and it wil remain that way due to a tragedy. Our youngest, Kristan, died a year ago March 11th. A few months shy of her 31st birthday. As far as retirement goes, June 2022 will be 36 years and Elizabeth and I will be Washington bound, as planned. Glad you’re well, Jim. Tom and I occasionally connect at jayfarrar.net. Wish the rest were around. These current people, it’s all Jay, all the time. Boring! :lol:

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

:D