One Album to spend your life

MightyLeeMoon

Post by MightyLeeMoon »

One album..... Being There

My thoughts on Dylan....not a fan. I respect him, just can't listen to him too much. All this "The will never be the Doors/Dylan/Stones/Beatles/Insert music from long ago" is all crap. The bands who try to be them will only fail. Any band that tries to be something else will only fail. Makes me wonder if pop fans say "Yea, but they will never be New Kids On The Block!" when talking about the latest Backstreet Boys album or what have you. There is some new stuff out there as good and better than what has come out before. Some people think older makes it better. It's not wine gentlemen.

Go look up some Richard Buckner for some greatness in the modern world. YHF is as innovative and ahead of its time or great as anything Dylan ever put out. But this is all "to each his own". Great music is all subjective. Because one person, or 2 billion people, think something is great, does not make it so. Nor do plenty of accolades. When MiliVanilli is nearly awarded a Grammy.....enough said. (But, perhaps MilliVanilli was great....I just don't think so.)

So, I will live without a Dylan collection and be as complete as anyone who lives and breaths Dylan.

Hanging Blue Side

Album

Post by Hanging Blue Side »

Wide Swing Tremelo is a great album,love Question, Hanging Blue Side,etc.

cowboydown

Post by cowboydown »

DRUNKEN BOAT s/t album.

stevie

Post by stevie »

I like WST too. I thing the song of that title is one of his best ever.

tedious

Obviously......

Post by tedious »

I'm at odds with everyone on the list because mine would have to be Wide Swing Tremolo.......but the fact that it hasn't rated a mention from anyone else surprises me.
I came to Jay and the rest in a vacuum as none of my friends were into it and my brothers were just plain hostile towards them and this list is the first contact I have had with people who like it. I don't know if this influences my decision (i can't see why but I thought I would mention it). Every time I hear the start of Straightface or the verses of Medecine Hat or the hook of Question I want to start a band (just as well I don't or I'd be in about 5,000 bands by now).
Yep, the more I think about it Wide Swing Tremolo is the one (honorable mention to Still Feel Gone and Trace).

stevie

Post by stevie »

Yup, Jay shits on the stones! They aren't directly comparable, but he is better in the same way that he is better than NSYNC but not directly comprable.

Down with the stones! Up with Jay!

farrarfan1

Which album

Post by farrarfan1 »

Trace. Period.

SonWilco

fruity

Post by SonWilco »

apples and oranges anybody? jay shits on the stones? stevie needs to see about changing his meds.

gb68

best of the best of the best of their greatest hits

Post by gb68 »

Which Stones "Best of.."? There are about twenty of them aren't there?

Technology has made this old "desert island" question a quaint remnant of the days when this sort of thing was asked of jazz artists in downbeat. Now you can fit something like 20 hours of music on a gadget smaller than the case for your reading glasses. I know, I'm a big party pooper.
Maybe think of it this way: there was this disc jockey in Sarejevo who had this awesome record collection. Signed LPs from U2, Dire Straights, all kinds of musical heavyweights, and this cat was apparently something of a celebrity in his own right. Well, his house was bombed. He lost everything, records, bed, food, toilet, everything. So if you could rescue just one thing from the wreckage of your bombed-out house, what would it be? A Wilson volleyball? Letters to Penthouse?

If I really ended up on some god-foresaken island, I'd rather have a guitar, banjo or mandolin so I could entertain myself. It would beat the hell out of having just one record by anybody. Or five records. Or even twenty hours of music on an ipod. But Letters to Penthouse...

Okay, I'll play along. Terroir Blues.

stevie

Post by stevie »

March for me. Jay's voice as he sings 'this miners song' on shakey ground gets me every time.

As for Sir Bob of Dylanshire, I own everything he has commercially released and would put Jay right up there with him. Possibly a little below but there is nothing wrong with being second to the greatest ever.

As for the Beatles, I much prefer Jay. The Beatles released great records but there were/are vastly overrated. Having said that, the two are hardly comparable so I'll happily let it pass when someone says they prefer those 4 scouse scallies/

The Stones? Sod the fact that they aren't comparable, Jay shits all over them. A best of is about the only thing worth buying (Let it Bleed aside).

tillotson505

Post by tillotson505 »

Oh,

You and all your 'rules' are screwing me up. I now realize that I'm what's wrong with you people. Sorry about the rant.

But Blonde on Blonde should still be listened to tonight. Blood on the Tracks is an acceptable substitute.

And sorry about the TB dissappointment, you're missing some good stuff in there. At least in my humble opinion.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

"What is wrong with you people?"

Tillotson, my dear boy, if you had bothered to read the beginning of the thread, you would have noticed that Mr. Dylan was not even an option to begin with.... this is supposed to consider Jay/Jeff albums only.

I agree with you... I'm not sure that any of Jay's or Jeff's albums would make my overall top 5 or 10 either (although I'm pretty sure "Trace" and "Being There" would make top 10), but that is a topic for another conversation altogether.

I think I will listen to "Blonde on Blonde" tonight, thanks, but my Dylan desert island preference is "Blood on the Tracks".

By the way, after having almost 6 months to fully digest and indulge myself with "Terroir Blues", my overall feeling is disappointment... it would not make my top 10 CDs for 2003.

tillotson505

Post by tillotson505 »

Fair enough.

I believe that may have absolved you of any sin you may have been committing.

saratoga jay

....(clear throat as loud as I can....)

Post by saratoga jay »

well thanks for the prayers....lord knows i could use some more!

but i'm not dissing or dismissing dylan's talents. i own just 4 cd's of his and i consider him a great talent, influential, a legend, etc. and i'm into way more types of music, bands, etc other than jay/jeff/ut/etc.

but honestly i don't think it is fair to compare those who set the standard of great rock/folk/punk/whatever with those who come along later (at no fault of their own...you can't control when you're born) and did their own thing in the world of music.

i love all the stones, beatles, zeppelin, etc. and tons more from 30-40 years ago...if it is good, i liked it.

my point was with the 'thank god' is i don't think jay or jeff ever intended/wanted to be the next/just like...or even better than dylan.

tillotson505

Post by tillotson505 »

Saratoga,

I'm going to pray for your soul tonight so you may see the light that is Dylan. Obviously there is some hope as you seem to be a Jay fan. But this disillusionment by you (and others in this thread) is quite scary.

May you all realize that Jay is very good, but he's not as good as Bob, the Beatles, the early Stones.

I'm afraid that March would not crack the top five for 'island albums' and possibly not even the top ten. I'll need to do some research.

Everybody listen to Blonde on Blonde tonight, and thank me tomorrow.