new guy:"Why did Son Volt break up?"

wilco1836

Post by wilco1836 »

Hey C I wasn't trying be anti to you, I was the one who posted the quote about the Tweedy numbers originally. One thing is a fact, those guys worked hard for a long time to get where there at and for what its worth they've been generous with their offerings, the music. Yeah I know my humor is a bit off center, thats why I'm not in comedy. Many years of hard work have made me a little funny and not in a good way.
Maybe all of us old hasbeen rockers should start a "supergroup". :lol: Who knows chicks might like a guy in size 40 waist pants.

Post by Sticky »

No problem, just giving you a hard time for the pee pee quote. My skin's old and thick. Never heard that song, but I remember the controversy over the ads. I was smoking Camels's just to get the free "Joe Camel" stuff.

Yes, I'm aware of what you were trying to convey. I also know that you can say something like an asshole and nobody will listen, say the same thing nice and everybody listens. But yes, I get it, it just wasn't funny. You don't know what I know or who I know. Honestly, I wasn't throwing around made up numbers, I only stated that Tweedy's numbers sounded pretty "right".
Last edited by Sticky on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilco1836

Post by wilco1836 »

Now thats funny! Do you remember that song Pansy Division did, "touch my joe camel", great stuff. Came out after they pulled the ads for looking like a phallus and teste, with shades on. I never saw it.

Don't be upset I've played in "tiny bands" as well and some "tiny bands" grow into "bigger bands", no secret there. What I was trying to convey is how much do you really know about the biz when at that level your not even on the radar. I'm sure when Jay and Jeff were The Primitives they didn't have the knowledge they have now being pros for over a decade. Get it. :roll:

Post by Sticky »

wilco1836 - now I'm catching on, but I'm sure you meant "touch my Camel-toe". Sorry about the "prince" reference, I should have said "princess".

peace all,
c
Last edited by Sticky on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilco1836

Post by wilco1836 »

touch my Joe Camel

I Am Who Am

Post by I Am Who Am »

My favorite Joe Camel song was the cover of Kid Creole's

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife."

Post by Sticky »

wilco1860, I thought today was thick skin day. No matter, perhaps you're just tired and need a nap.

Sleep well, little prince.
Last edited by Sticky on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freeuntilcaught

Post by freeuntilcaught »

Sticky wrote: I look at it a little different. If Jay hadn't quit UT, we'd never of had Wilco or SV. If he hadn't quit SV, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :) What would have served Rock and Roll better? "

Hell's Yes, Sticky! You Know.

I AM...for the record, We don't all agree about Anything. Best, better, worst, who cares it just Is.

wilco1836

itty bitty

Post by wilco1836 »

itty bitty pee pee

Post by Sticky »

I AM - - - I wish you would have started off with that tone. Discussion is much simpler when people aren't emotional. I look at it a little different. If Jay hadn't quit UT, we'd never of had Wilco or SV. If he hadn't quit SV, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :) What would have served Rock and Roll better? That's a little too philosophical for me in the morning.

For the record, UT was once a very tiny little band.

I Am Who Am

Post by I Am Who Am »

I think we can all agree that Jay did his best work with UT, and when he broke up the band "rock and roll" was in no way better for it. I think we can all agree that Son Volt was almost as great a band, and that when Jay left that band rock and roll again suffered for it. Finally, I speak for myself when I say that if Jay regrouped UT or SV tomorrow, I would not miss Jay Farrar Solo for an instant.

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

I've been on the backstage side of many a concert with many mid-level bands and seen many bands have their eight-ball of coke and 3k guarentee waiting for them when they arrive. Maybe I'm underestimating the popularity of Son Volt. But I've payed 15 or 20 dollars on several occassions just like the other 2 or 3 hundred and sometimes 4 or 500 people who showed up to see Jay in his different incarnations. Again, I'm not saying anyone here is rich. The original argument was whether or not the SV boys should feel scorned. My opinion is no. They've made money as professional musicians, they know how to "Work" and probably have the right connections to find work. Will they have a retirement? I don't know. But there's no reason to feel sorry for them, they're quite capable human beings who will either continue to play music for a living or they might choose to get a jobby-job like rest of us commoners.

Dan

Post by Dan »

hot burrito wrote:Is anyone else sick of hearing this shit? No one here knows what Jay, Jeff, DBT or anyone else makes.
Actually, not knowing anything about the topic, I'm finding it really interesting hearing the various opinions. Keep going!

hot burrito

Post by hot burrito »

Is anyone else sick of hearing this shit? No one here knows what Jay, Jeff, DBT or anyone else makes.

wilco1836

agreed

Post by wilco1836 »

I wasn't talking about samwhatever but about grotto slack he seems to think he has it all figured out especially about the DBTers, are you in that band? If not how the f do you know what they make. Most people serious about not living in a box for arts sake that played in bands put down their instruments along with their dreams after starving for a while. I've played since I was 7 and have been in many bands I quit check my voice mail for msgs from David Geffen years ago.