new guy:"Why did Son Volt break up?"

freeuntilcaught

Post by freeuntilcaught »

Didn't you intend to call yourself I Am Who I Am? schwoops

Anyway, it's nice of you to give Jay such God-status, but honestly can anyone out there really believe that it was all Jay's decision? Picture Jay throwing his guitar at one of the Boquists saying F You brothers you suck and I will play with you in this incarnation nevermore. That makes Jay into a spoiled brat like the other Jay, Jay Bennett in the Wilco film. Anyone that is around musicians and any sort of scene knows that people burn out, songwriting styles run their course, and it's hard to believe but people get tired of the day in day out party that ensues. Unless you are the Rolling Stones, but I think we'd all agree enough is enough.

And for Pete's sake Jim Boquist plays a fine bass on the stellar new Gillian Welch album. I don't think he's crying in his beer and furthermore he most likely carries his phone with him.

Why insult the other Son Volt musicians? Why insult Jay? "Pardon me, but what the hell do you do?" (from a Jeffrey Fredricks tune, the Red Newt)

I Am Who Am

Post by I Am Who Am »

When Jay Farrar left UT, the band was fortunate in that they still had a great singer-songwriter to pick up the pieces. SV is not so fortunate. To make matters worse, Jay has left them hanging. Kind of hard to get on with your lives and career if tomorrow you may get a call to go out on a world tour.....We all know he has a problem communicating, but this is ridiculous. I figure the rest of the band is holding on to some hope that the band will get back together, which is why they haven't said hell with Jay and joined some other band. I doubt Heidorn has any interest in playing with anyone but Jay (except maybe Jeff Tweedy). When Brian Hennemann of the Bottle Rockets started a side project last year he wasn't even interested in playing in that. Understandably. Why settle for less?

The point is he has left them and us hanging for four years, meanwhile we've had to endure his dull solo work. I have no interest in Jay's solo work. I am simply holding on to the hope that SV makes another record. Or a UT reunion. Or Jay starts another band--if so the band members shouldn't expect him to be around very long....

Antelope850

"The Truth"

Post by Antelope850 »

I respect differing opinions, but one thing I can't stand is - whenever someone who says they used to love Jay but hate his solo work - they punctuate their opinion with "the truth hurts." Man, I hate that. Tell me your opinion and I'll tell you why I disagree with it, but don't tell me "the truth hurts." It's not the truth, it's your opinion.

Jay's under no obligation to make music with Son Volt if he doesn't want to. And his fans should want him to do what his heart tells him to. If he was a jerk to the other guys in Son Volt by not being upfront with them about making a solo album - and I don't know if that's exactly how it went down - then maybe that's a lame thing to do. But don't blame Jay for what you call the "shitty jobs" of the guys in Son Volt. As far as the music goes, I want Jay to make the music he wants to make with the people he feels like making it with. Sebastopol is a great album. I love the songs on the Grotto Slack EP. I listened to the Slaughter Rule soundtrack again the other night - some great stuff on that. And I like Terroir Blues a lot, whether it rocks on the record or not. I saw Jay live 4 times last year - 3 with Spencer and the backing band from Varnaline and once with Canyon - and the solo songs kick ass live with a band, including California. In my opinion, if you're a longtime Jay fan and you're not listening to his solo stuff and going to his current shows, you're really missing out.

And I think there will be another Son Volt album and tour. Probably sooner rather than later. Listening to some SV boots I've recently received reminds what an awesome band they were/are. But it doesn't take away from my appreciation of Jay's current work.

flip

Post by flip »

The fact remains - UT and SV blow away anything else that Jay's done. His solo stuff is good, but not as good. Not only have the guys from SV been sittin' around waiting for the day that Jay reforms the band, but I suspect the majority of his fans have too. Say what you want, but Jay's best songs were written while he was in those bands. Not to mention the live shows were MUCH better. If you want to extol the virtues of his solo work, that's fine. But his band stuff IS better. Jay needs to start rockin' again, with or without SV.

stevie

Post by stevie »

I'm struggling to type this through the pain caused by 'the truth.' I'll soldier on though.

So what if the SV boys don't know if the band will get back together. If Jay is the leader and doesn't know himself how the hell are they supposed to? Oh and you paint a picture of the other members as dribbling vegetable unable to think or move without Jays express consent. they are grown ups now, I'm sure they will cope without this all important clarification.

<You seem to be saying Jay Farrar could not grow or change as a musician unless he broke up Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo.>

I said nothing of the sort. I actually suggested you didnt want jay to evolve because you referred back to songs he wrote over 10 years ago.

I Am Who Am

Post by I Am Who Am »

You seem to be saying Jay Farrar could not grow or change as a musician unless he broke up Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo. That, my friends, is utter nonsense. You probably think Paul McCartney and John Lennon did their best work and grew the most after the Beatles split up. If anything, the Beatles proved you could grow and change and adapt as a band. Just look at the changes between HELP and Sgt. Peppers. Besides Jay could have made Terrible Blues with Son Volt, only I suspect it would have been a much better, rocking album with their input. They would never have allowed Jay to include a song like "California" on a record, just like Lennon would never have allowed "Silly Love Songs" to make it on a Beatles album.

I know for a fact the rest of SV haven't a clue if or when the band will ever get back together. Jay could do them the common courtesy to say "It's over, boys, get on with your lives," or, "We'll get back together after I make one more bad solo record." Sadly He doesn't give a damn about them.

That ought to piss off a lot of you weenies. But the truth hurts.

I AM WHO AM

DS

Post by DS »

I Am Who I Am wrote:
I mean, for four years the guys in Son Volt have been waiting by the phone for him to call, meanwhile working shitty jobs, while Jay "does his own thing."
I don't believe that, I don't think you do either. If my boss didn't show up for a few weeks and the checks stopped coming, I wouldn't wait 4 years saying, "well I better not get another job".

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

Whats wrong with challenging your audience? The SV albums had their moments but by WST, I think it was growing tired. TB grew on me after a couple listens. The songs are great live but the album isn't my fav by any means. And his first solo album, sounds kick ass to me. You probably love Wilco's YHF but trash JF's recent stuff. To each their own, I guess.

stevie

Post by stevie »

Well its wonderful that you have an opinion but I think its utter crap.

Firstly, you seem to wish that jay never evolved as a musician, stayed exactly the same. If his music didnt change we'd be pretty bored of it by now.

Secondly you sugget that he has disrespected his bandmates from SV. Er, are you one of them? Are you personally in touch with them so you know their feelings on the matter. Did you sit outside their windows for the last 4 years just to check that they are waiting by the phone?

I Am Who Am

Breakdown

Post by I Am Who Am »

We've been waiting for almost four years for Son Volt. I think it is safe to say they are history. Jay has stupidly broken up two Great Bands and as for his solo work--I can't listen to it. I agree with Rolling Stone, it's tedious and depressing. Nothing he has written solo even comes close to Still Be Around or Moonshiner. Not only that, but the way he disrepects his fellow bandmates is disgraceful. I mean, for four years the guys in Son Volt have been waiting by the phone for him to call, meanwhile working shitty jobs, while Jay "does his own thing." Well, his own thing sucks. It's time someone said as much. I don't care if he ever makes another record. I'll stick with my UT records and Trace and the masterful Wide Swing Tremelo.

Sam Hall

Post by Sam Hall »

Thanks.

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

Nobody seems to really know for sure why and even if they are permantly broken up. Jay is often asked in interviews and from the ones that I've read, always seesm hesitant to say that they are broken up.
His two solo albums have been out of reach of Son Volt, too dense.
On one hand, he has an established solo carreer and his own record label.
On the other hand, we have yet to see a permanent back up band- as if he were saving himself for something.

Sam Hall

new guy:"Why did Son Volt break up?"

Post by Sam Hall »

Will someone tell me why Son Volt broke up in '99? I know, I know. You guys probably don't want to take the time to respond to some new guy with some dumb question, but I'd really appreciate it if ya did. I really, really, really liked Son Volt and am trying to get some closure here. Thanks.