new guy:"Why did Son Volt break up?"

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

loosestring wrote:i don't think jay has ever written a bad song. he's one of the most talented songwriters ever whether it's with a band or solo.....i don't know how anyone could say his solo work is no good with songs like voodoo candle, cahokian, and gather (and pretty much the rest of his collection). he's simply amazing.
I agree with your statements above loosestring. Jay is a great songwriter and I would have a tough time saying he has written any "bad" songs. He does, however, need a producer. TB and Sebastapol have a great cd within them but they weren't put together terribly well in my opinion. A few songs could have been left out and a few could/should have lost the "special effects". These are, of course, just my very humble opinion.

mzkmm

Poor Sam Hall is sorry he asked!

Post by mzkmm »

No one has come right out and said "follow the money?" The sales on SV records were never very high. You rabid SV fans should have bought a few more! Touring apparently supports a lower echelon band but leaves no profit. Dividing tour money by four (or more) leaves less pay than dividing by two. Jay has a wife and kids to support, right? I-Am-Who-I-Am is right that Jay should have told SV members the band was over--or told them the parameters for a reunion. He apparently said he had some solo stuff he needed to do. Maybe he thought that was kinder than saying, "We're a bunch of failures and we can't pay the rent!" You could probably "follow the money" with the UT breakup too. The liner notes say they were not only living in poverty but were thousands of dollars in debt. Maybe these music groups all need to take vows of chastity and poverty and serve the public with songs the same way religious orders serve with prayers. Most of them are making music because they love it; so why not?

MightyLeeMoon

Post by MightyLeeMoon »

I for one am very greatful Lennon put out "Silly Love Songs". Otherwise, Mark Kozolek would never have the chance to do his rendition of it....one of my very favorite songs..... (for those who do not know Kozolek....check out Red House Painters CD Songs for a Blue Guitar.....Masterful.
I Am Who Am wrote:You seem to be saying Jay Farrar could not grow or change as a musician unless he broke up Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo. That, my friends, is utter nonsense. You probably think Paul McCartney and John Lennon did their best work and grew the most after the Beatles split up. If anything, the Beatles proved you could grow and change and adapt as a band. Just look at the changes between HELP and Sgt. Peppers. Besides Jay could have made Terrible Blues with Son Volt, only I suspect it would have been a much better, rocking album with their input. They would never have allowed Jay to include a song like "California" on a record, just like Lennon would never have allowed "Silly Love Songs" to make it on a Beatles album.

I know for a fact the rest of SV haven't a clue if or when the band will ever get back together. Jay could do them the common courtesy to say "It's over, boys, get on with your lives," or, "We'll get back together after I make one more bad solo record." Sadly He doesn't give a damn about them.

That ought to piss off a lot of you weenies. But the truth hurts.

I AM WHO AM

Post by Sticky »

I Am Who Am wrote:... self-righteous liberal "artists." It is a cliche of the worst order. I take back what I said earlier about Jay Farrar. He is not a hypocrite or a lowlife. Worse, he is a cliche.
That's not a cliche I've ever heard.
Last edited by Sticky on Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grotto Slack

Post by Grotto Slack »

Look, man, the fact is Jay was the principle songwriter as well as the band leader. It is very probable that the members of Son Volt were not even on the Warner Brothers contract, only Jay was. This is very common. Jay was probably recieving all publishing royalities for the songs. Fact is, Son Volt could not have existed without Farrar. In a harsh manner, the SV boys were riding on the coat tails of Farrar. You think they would have had a major label contract with another singer? Do you? He put the band together and they worked together for 5 years or so. 5 years sustaining yourself as a profressional musician is chance few people ever get. Maybe that was their carreer and now its over and maybe its not. But you aren't going to really change any of that. Band line-ups change, it just happens.
Maybe Farrar will go to put SV back together and the members will say, 'sorry. man, I just can't do it anymore. I'm too old and need security". Or maybe he'll put SV back together and the acclaim that he's recieved as a solo artist will put SV on the map (the charts). Maybe they'll be huge. Maybe this solo thing will be necessary in order for Son Volt to continue to subsist as a band. or maybe not. get over it, bands break up.

Godsownsinger

Post by Godsownsinger »

oops, I meant to say NOT just sitting on his "greatest hits"
:oops:

Godsownsinger

I dig Jays tunes...

Post by Godsownsinger »

Much like another of my favorite musicians, Gram Parsons, and Neil Young. Jay is doing what he wants to do...I respect the hell out of the guy for trying new sounds, and just sitting on his so called "greatest hits". I really like TB, "Heart on the Ground" is a sweet tune. Im going to see Jay in concert next friday in Dallas for the first time...I cant wait.. :D

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

i don't think jay has ever written a bad song. he's one of the most talented songwriters ever whether it's with a band or solo. i think he's becoming one of the more influential musicians as well and his fanbase seems to be expanding just like his music is. his talent is pure and i don't believe anyone can judge him for the decisions he's made, especially since (more than likely) no one here knows him or his former bandmates personally. the comments people make are merely speculation and hearsay. so just get over it and enjoy what he has to offer.
-
i don't know how anyone could say his solo work is no good with songs like voodoo candle, cahokian, and gather (and pretty much the rest of his collection). he's simply amazing.

flip

Post by flip »

I figured it out. I Am Who Am is actually one of the Boquists. Or he's just a fucking idiot who makes glib statements about the hypocrisy of an artist just because the artist doesn't live every damn lyric he's ever sung. STUPID. Stupid. stupid.

Mom always said, "You can't argue with a moron." Or an imbecile. Or a fucking idiot.

tillotson505

Post by tillotson505 »

'I Am,' you may be the only person I've heard base their likes or dislikes of music off of the 'business' decisions of the artist. I suppose you hate the Beatles for letting go of Mr. Best? And what about poor, poor, Mr. Bennett who got the old heave-ho from Tweedy - does Wilco suck now? Hell, Barrett was mentally disturbed and did Pink Floyd help him? Hell no they left him out on the street to rot - the bastards. Makes me hate their music - anybody else?

Believe it or not, MANY people approach music as an art, and appreciate it because of the artistic value.

This innane argument of yours is growing tired.

Go find another stump.

I Am Who Am

Post by I Am Who Am »

Apparently you are all so blinded by your fetishistic worship of J F that you cannot see the truth. An intelligent person would despise hypocrisy, in particular from self-righteous liberal "artists." It is a cliche of the worst order. I take back what I said earlier about Jay Farrar. He is not a hypocrite or a lowlife. Worse, he is a cliche.

tele

Post by tele »

Jay is now the Gordon Gecco of music.....

So you don't care if he "lays off" Canyon and Mark Spencer to go back to SV :wink: maybe he made the other guys enough cash and is just trying to spread the wealth

saratoga jay

man o man

Post by saratoga jay »

i made a resolution to be nicer to all the morons in the world, but i just can't do it anymore.

hey dipshit i am...jay has also sang "Now I must hang this morning, for the murder of Lilli Schull" and "Been sidetracked blind, different point of view from far away".

so is jay a hypocrite for not being a murderer and for still having his eyesight?

you make no sense.

idiotic arguments suck :roll:

Ummmm....

Post by Sticky »

What does any of that have to do with "Why did Son Volt break up?".

Flame wars are kind of silly.

I Am Who Am

hypocrites

Post by I Am Who Am »

Looks like you all agree, Jay Farrar Inc., is a going business concern. And it looks like you all agree Jay is just doing what's best for the company, i.e., trying new things, new products, downsizing, laying off long-time employees .

Hmmmm. Didn't Jay once sing: "Let's sink this capitalist system, to darkest pits of hell."

Hypocrite.