The Search

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

gdavis5446 wrote:
Damaged Son wrote:
dEvRoNiKa wrote: I am a rare gal.
Or so I'm told.
Whaddup D-Son?
Too much of a little bit of everything, dEvRoNiKa...but hey...that's better than a whole lot of nothing. Hell, the last concert i think i saw was Eric Bachmann and Richard Buckner back in September.

But i DID buy myself tix for The National in June.
Gonna get my SV tix today.
Rock on.
Shit, where are you seeing the National. I really like those guys. Seems like more and more people are starting to find out about them. The new record, the Boxer comes out soon right?
At the Middle East Downstairs in Cambridge, MA
I only found out about it via a local blogger who tracks concerts and i usually keep pretty good tabs on shows so it caught me by surprise also.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Damaged Son wrote:
Or so I'm told.
Whaddup D-Son?
Too much of a little bit of everything, dEvRoNiKa...but hey...that's better than a whole lot of nothing. Hell, the last concert i think i saw was Eric Bachmann and Richard Buckner back in September.

Rock on.
Shit, where are you seeing the National. I really like those guys. Seems like more and more people are starting to find out about them. The new record, the Boxer comes out soon right?

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

Or so I'm told.
Whaddup D-Son?

Rock on.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Damaged Son wrote:Howdy Hoops, farrarfan, dcarter, and Cal and all of you guys and rare gals.

Yes, i look in every once in a few weeks but rarely have time to browse much or post anything anymore.

But a new Son Volt release always demands a little chatter.
Logical or otherwise.
:D

Take care.
I am a rare gal.
Or so I'm told.
Whaddup D-Son?

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Damaged Son wrote:Howdy Hoops, farrarfan, dcarter, and Cal and all of you guys and rare gals.

Yes, i look in every once in a few weeks but rarely have time to browse much or post anything anymore.

Logical or otherwise.

Take care.
Howdy back to you Steven.

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

Howdy Hoops, farrarfan, dcarter, and Cal and all of you guys and rare gals.

Logical or otherwise.

Take care.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Thanks. That also sounds logical.

calexico

Post by calexico »

dcarter wrote:
gdavis5446 wrote:Also keep in mind Jay is playing a lot in alternate tunings. Could be why he is singing in different keys now as well.
That sounds logical too. Not that I knew that he was playing in alternate keys, though.
I reckon it's an underpants selection problem. Of Geddy Lee proportions.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

gdavis5446 wrote:Also keep in mind Jay is playing a lot in alternate tunings. Could be why he is singing in different keys now as well.
That sounds logical too. Not that I knew that he was playing in alternate keys, though.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Also keep in mind Jay is playing a lot in alternate tunings. Could be why he is singing in different keys now as well.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Thank you. That sounds logical.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

dcarter wrote:Maybe it was posted somewhere and I missed it but has Jay been asked in an interview about the higher register? Anyone have any insight into his reasons? The different musical explorations I welcome and understand but i don't recall ever experiencing someone choosing to sing differently.
My theory is he was inspired to stretch his range by Anders Parker. Anders has an incredible range and a really great tone that shapes his songs as much as the music does.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Maybe it was posted somewhere and I missed it but has Jay been asked in an interview about the higher register? Anyone have any insight into his reasons? The different musical explorations I welcome and understand but i don't recall ever experiencing someone choosing to sing differently.

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Good to know you're still around Damaged Son.

As for the album, I am less than thrilled. It is good and I really admire Jay for taking some chances and trying new things, but it is not an album that will stay in my rotation for much longer. The one thing that really bothers me is Jay's attempt to hit higher notes.

The one excellent thing is that the original 'Exurbia' is one of my top 5 Jay songs and the new version from iTunes is even better! It is perfect.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Nice to see ya around Steven, make it a regular please.