Fayetteville Show Report

Dan

Post by Dan »

Oh, man, are you around Fayetteville and missed him? That hurts. If I remember right, he didn't play any UT stuff last night, but I know other posters have said he's played some other times, such as Still Be Around. Yeah, I would have loved to have heard Moonshiner as well.

jdr

fayetteville show

Post by jdr »

grrr... i can't believe i flaked out once again and missed him. i saw him here with son volt after WST came out and it rawked. though i haven't really listened to any of his solo stuff, i've quite enjoyed every band he's ever been in.

does he ever play any of his tupelo stuff live? i'd love to stand there and hear him belt out moonshiner.

Dan

Fayetteville Show Report

Post by Dan »

I drove to a 3-hour away town last night, Fayetteville, Arkansas to see Jay for my 2nd time. My first was Son Volt right after WST. Got home at 3 a.m., up at 7 to go teach American History. Now, I'm livin on sleep deprivation but it was well worth it!! A good-sized and enthusiastic crowd was there, and for all the griping about Jay not being Mr. Stage Banter Guy, I thought he did great. I liked Canyon's opening set (thought the lead singer had an identical voice to the guy who leads The Billy's, a Minneapolis group, if anyone knows them.) Then Jay starts it out alone with , among others, Greenwich Time, and one I didn't know (the chorus went something like 'Rock 'n Roll around my head, Rock 'n Roll like a 6-string) Anyone know this song? Then Canyon came out and backed him. I now see what other posters have said about the TB songs heard live. They do sound great! I thought the best was 'Heart on the Ground,' sounds incredible when it rocks like they played it. I'm guessing it was a similar setlist to his other shows. Jay seemed in good spirits, smiled a few times, but he was definitely there to Play. I got some humor when at one point, someone yelled out "Turn it up, Jay!" He slowly turned to the guy, looked him in the eye, and with a half-smile slowly said "You want me to just turn Everything Up?!" Guess the guy figured his amps went to 11. Anyway, I thought it was a great show, and Jay's voice was the candle in the window that it always is.