Neil goes again....

m.truslow

Post by m.truslow »

How about Neil releasing the November 86 shows that were broadcast by MuchMusic in Canada on DVD.............M.

bigdieseltrucker

Post by bigdieseltrucker »

Hell yea!

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

In case any of you hadn't noticed, a preview for the album has now been posted on his site.

Preview

I had no idea these performances were this good, this looks amazing.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

keith21 wrote:(provided it was Neil's wishes).
That is where the problem would start, in my opinion....

Regardless, I hope we get the complete archives, and a lot more Neil, before that sad day.

calexico

Post by calexico »

keith21 wrote: Also, kind of an interesting thing: the first time Neil talked about the performance series, he said the archives box sets will have extra slots to put the PS CDs in.
Now that is coolness indeed! I cannot wait to get my hands on this stuff, as I am sure millions of fans are too.

Bernstein must feel like it will never come to light! :lol:

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I think it's inevitable that it will all get released someday. If Neil doesn't do it before he goes, Joel Bernstein, Neil's archivist who is quite a bit younger and has been working on the archives releases for 20 years, will do it (provided it was Neil's wishes).

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

We (and by we, I mean Neil fans in general) are pretty fortunate that he finally decided to to this whole archives thing - after years of talking about it. If he had passed away before he felt like these things were ready for release, I'm not sure that we would have EVER got to hear them.

We may have got the Hendrix thing - remasters, greatest hits disks with one of two extra songs, etc....but if Neil didn't sign off on these recordings, I'm afraid that the complete archives may naver have seen the light of day...

Of course I could be completely wrong, and after Neil passes we may get every snippet ever recorded - but I hope not.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Yeah, the first volume of the real archives (the performance series is a newer addition) hopefully will come out this year (we've been promised this before). The 8 CDs and 2 DVDs will be volume 1 ('66-'72). There are supposedly 38 unreleased tracks in that volume. According to the bonus features on the fillmore DVD (in Jack Nietsche's bio) it says video footage of the London Symphony Orchestra sessions (There's A World/A Man Needs A Maid) will be on the DVD.
We'll have to wait until volume 2 to hear the Homegrown album.
Also, kind of an interesting thing: the first time Neil talked about the performance series, he said the archives box sets will have extra slots to put the PS CDs in.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

keith21 wrote:No one really knows what volume 1 is. Some say it's the Road Rock Vol. I CD that came out in 2000 (I think that unlikely). I think/hope it's one of the 1969 Riverboat performances. This Massey Hall release will be nice, but I want some EARLY solo Neil that we haven't heard before.
It seems to me that the Performance Series most likely is numbered chronologically. Neil has talked about the Riverboat shows before, so I think they're a likely candidate.
Why he didn't release them first, I have no idea.
Thanks for the info. I too hope he releases the riverboat stuff, and it would be funny if that ends up being the performance series vol. 1. That's a very funny way of releasing stuff, although I guess he only cares that the end product makes sense and is perfect. Also, it is interesting that he is releasing these live shows as a kind of sub-section of the archives, the "performance series." And they have now announced this 8 CD massive collection named simply the "archives." That would lead me to suppose that this box set will only include studio outtakes? Unreleased albums? etc? It is all very interesting.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

No one really knows what volume 1 is. Some say it's the Road Rock Vol. I CD that came out in 2000 (I think that unlikely). I think/hope it's one of the 1969 Riverboat performances. This Massey Hall release will be nice, but I want some EARLY solo Neil that we haven't heard before.
It seems to me that the Performance Series most likely is numbered chronologically. Neil has talked about the Riverboat shows before, so I think they're a likely candidate.
Why he didn't release them first, I have no idea.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Official site coolness

I have a question. If this is performance series number three, and it also says that the Fillmore one is performance series number two... What the hell is number one? I thought the Fillmore was the first archives release. Anyone know?

keith21

Post by keith21 »

I believe Neil has said its a combination of both shows (early and late).
Neil has never released a complete live show, for whatever bizarre reason. It's not like he doesn't have enough perfect shows in the archives.
Last edited by keith21 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Seems to be the full show.

http://www.nme.com/news/neil-young/26040

IAmtheWalrus

Post by IAmtheWalrus »

calexico wrote:
IAmtheWalrus wrote:
muddycrowe wrote:yay
anyone know the track list? Is it a full show?
Seems to be the full show. I sure hope so, although the Fillmore shows weren't a complete release either.
Right. That's why I asked. That set list mirrors the late show to a t.

calexico

Post by calexico »

IAmtheWalrus wrote:
muddycrowe wrote:yay
anyone know the track list? Is it a full show?
Seems to be the full show. I sure hope so, although the Fillmore shows weren't a complete release either.