The Picture

sand dusky

Post by sand dusky »

calexico wrote:I fucking love this! It sounds like Jay Farrar fronting Geno-era Dexy's!

Kevin's voice was hardly that of a tenor. Tonally that makes me imagine Jay straining his voice. or are you just talking the brass section?

loose_string

Post by loose_string »

Like it.

Kinda sounds like a Beulah song.

I also really liked the slow, sad version he did by himself at Gob Iron. It was more melodic. And at that show, when he said "We'll know when we get there if we'lll find mercy.", it gave me chills and it felt kinda "spiritual."

The horns make a really cool juxtaposition. Fun horns set against sorta crazy depressing lyrics. Very smart. Very smart, Jay.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

grainpulp wrote:Well put, ye who Grifts...
Everybody quit yer bitchin'! Force I slap youse!
i gotta get it out somewhere, no one else knows what the hell i'm talking about.

i agree w/ SJ in that jay's gob iron version has RUP.

calexico

Post by calexico »

I fucking love this! It sounds like Jay Farrar fronting Geno-era Dexy's! No straining of the voice either, hittting the perfect pitch and timbre.

"Blow your horn!"

blackseacityman

Post by blackseacityman »

grainpulp wrote:Well put, ye who Grifts...
As I recall lil' pulpster you did a version of Vitamins on the first Jayfer cover CD that had a horn. You might have inspired the man.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Well put, ye who Grifts...

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

summersleep wrote:Man, that song rocks! There's some Motown in the bass line and definitely some Springsteen/Asbury Jukes in the horns. Even the tambourine rocks!

Can't wait for the rest of the album.

- Patrick

PS: Hope everyone on the board is well!
Dude, I was just thinking about you! Listening to the first Tribute CD and I was thinking, "Man, do any of these people post anymore?"

;)

summersleep

Post by summersleep »

Man, that song rocks! There's some Motown in the bass line and definitely some Springsteen/Asbury Jukes in the horns. Even the tambourine rocks!

Can't wait for the rest of the album.

- Patrick

PS: Hope everyone on the board is well!

bigdieseltrucker

Post by bigdieseltrucker »

It does sounds like 'The Big Man' joined the band.

He's got to wring out more enthusiasm if you're going to have horns like that!

Jay, get fired up and bring back the growl!!!! :twisted:

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I don't like it. Like Tom, said, good lyrics. If there's one thing you can say about Jay it's that is prose is usually spot on. But the music? I'd just as soon do without. I am heartened to hear that it's already been performed differently than this version. Maybe this will be an "album only" version and teh live stuff will be with the harp. But yeah, Derry needs work, too. I dunno.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

It's perfect.

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

Dear Sweet Lovers,

I love this studio recording. Hand's down to the side in great prayer that we have another release from The Volt. People, be grateful. Every great band I've ever known has gone by the wayside feel all that's wrong, except for Sweet Jay and his earnest, quiet (outside of the context of music, meaning interviews, persona-buying, hangers-on, rockerstarrertins, etc) efforts. Give great thanks and humble thanksgiving that he is hanging in there and not giving up the goods for the devil.

Despite my flu-like status and the need to drive to New Orleans to see Jeffers Tweederstein morning after tomorrow, I'll YSI the audio of this track from the Gobber Irontins show at teh Cat's Cradle ... I would do it tonight, but I've slept 40 hours since Monday night, and I'm about wrecked getting ready for another road trip ...

Who's a fan?

Grifterthatswho

LH

Post by LH »

listened to it a few times. I think the horns kill the song. same damn, unoriginal, bad horn riff over and over.

the horns on the break - belongs in a mighty mighty bosstones tune, and they should have stayed there.

i like the song, but the horns are horrible.

i dig the fact that he tried it, just doesn't work though. sounds like (and is, from what I've read) an afterthought.

Jay's vocals sound good though.....

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

i just listened to it for the first time right now. i love it. how can you not like it? it is a JAY SONG! hearing him sing this in Gob Iron over the weekend was brilliant stuff. just Jay, guitar and gob iron (english slang for harp :roll:) and he crushed it. he totally let loose on the harp when the horns on this version kick in at the end. but this version is different, definitely has more pep than solo Jay. but again, isn't that just part of Jay's brilliance? making one well-written song sound so good in various forms...

besides, we really have to hear the whole thing before we judge it. i'm anxious to hear Slow Hearse into The Picture followed by Action, etc...

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Damaged Son any chance you could make it back to the Bluegrass State in April for the Farrarbbq?

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

trousersnakeandlarry wrote:
Damaged Son wrote:For some reason, Cash's "Ring of Fire" springs to my mind.
8)

Thats just your hemorrhoids.

Angel of Harlem I tells ya.
Boo, ts&l...I'm surprised.
I know you can do better than that!
:D

Angel of Harlem...good one.