The Picture

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

after even more reflection, this song really reminds me of something off of "Living With War"

alphabot

Post by alphabot »

I love the range of opinion on the horns. I'm confident it'll become classic to almost everybody after a while.

I admit to more than a little 'WTF' when it first came through my speakers.

I think a little bit of 'Ring of Fire' when I hear it.

But I also echo the notion that it's similar to 'Angel of Harlem'.

I also hear a little bit of the Indigo Girls 'Peace Tonight' in there, too.

Can't wait for a pre-order...

seger_and_priest

Post by seger_and_priest »

i think that 'the picture' will make more sense when we here 'slow hearse' and 'action,' the two songs it's sandwich'd between. if this record is the futurist, pomo-beat blowout that shorefire'd have us believe, the horns may be just one of many disparate elements for us to chew on, no?

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

Horns do not really bother me. It provides a retro sound that I listened to as a kid with groups such as 'Blood, Sweat and Tears' and the old 'Chicago'. It will just take some adjustment to adapting that sound to Jay's musical stylings. I saw Wilco a couple of years ago and their opening band was 'Head of Femur' who had a horn section. Tweedy brought them out during Wilco's set and I thought the horns actually enhanced the live Wilco performance. So, in conclusion, I will keep an open mind as to Jay's new musings because he stills beats 90% of what is out there in today's musical offerings.

fraggle

the picture

Post by fraggle »

Sorry, not diggin the horns. Keyboards would have worked better.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

farrarfan1 wrote:Never being afraid to display my ignorance, I'm curious about something. Does the artist recieve any money for tunes sold on Itunes? I'm assuming they do but...
From what I understand (from my tiny connection to the music business) artists actually make more money from an itunes download than on actual CD purchases. That is why you see more and more artisits jumping on that bandwagon.

It makes sense, when you figure that there is absolutely no packaing, shipping, etc. It is just zeros and ones.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Figgered so. Thanks.

calexico

Post by calexico »

farrarfan1 wrote:Never being afraid to display my ignorance, I'm curious about something. Does the artist recieve any money for tunes sold on Itunes? I'm assuming they do but...
Oh yea I imagine they do Tom. Most like any online business. I have no idea of the ins and out of it but iTunes is a store after all.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Never being afraid to display my ignorance, I'm curious about something. Does the artist recieve any money for tunes sold on Itunes? I'm assuming they do but...

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

The more I listen, the more I like. The same goes for "The Search". This is going to be a trailhead of an album.

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

I could go for that.....

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

Interestingly, that press release does make it sound as if the entire album will be on iTunes on 2/13. Although I can't imagine that would be the case.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

farrarfan1 wrote:Intersting choice as the single to be released to radio. Might draw a crowd that never listened to Son Volt before with the brass. Then they buy the album and find out it's the only song with brass.
Some would say that Jay has a lot of brass to do that.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Talus wrote:It would be brass-akwards?
Touche'.

Talus

Post by Talus »

It would be brass-akwards?