Listen to the whole album on Amazon

windshield

Post by windshield »

maybe i'm biased but from the 30 secs clip, I love this record. From the initial listenings I though it was a sort of sebastopol jams with okemah, but it's a whole new story, listen closely to phospate skin for example.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

megaballs wrote:...
I'm assuming the mature thing around here is not to get into the Wilco/Son Volt feud.
That's correct.

And of course a 30 second snippet isn't going to do a song justice. Like most of you, I can't wait for the album to be come out. And I hope he heads over to Tokyo again. There might be a song I ....dislike? fail to appreciate? initially until I hear it live. It happened last time with Medication. And because it blew me away live, I now have an appreciation for it on Okemah.

In any event, i like what I hear even in snippet form!

tgores

Post by tgores »

Yeah...I was also just considering (and this is not saying that the album isn't going to be great)...but when did it change that an album, to be a good album, has to have incredibly brilliant songs song after song. Can't we just look at the album and say, "This one was good, this one...eh...but the ones on either side of it are great."

I think it is the school of thought (that every song has to be brilliant) that has led to the downfall of a lot of great musicians...or at least a decrease in their popularity. Take it for what it is: an album...a moment in time or whatever...but not as some brilliant stroke over brilliance spin after spin.

I didn't mean for that to be preachy...I was actually just having a conversation with someone about this recently...

But yeah...the album is gon' kick ass. Because I want it to. heh.

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

Tweedy/Tweedy. Have a drink or a smoke. Listen to Okemah and Sebass again. And again. Then The Search. Give it time. He might blow your mind. That is if its open. The cd comes out in March. Save your opinions for then.
Jeez.

I'm assuming the mature thing around here is not to get into the Wilco/Son Volt feud.

loose_string

Post by loose_string »

And all I said was that there were song samples on amazon. :D

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

i've missed the Tiny one.

glad to see him post today! :D

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

TinyElvis wrote:The review you had on 'Shark Sandwich'...which was merely a two-word review - just said 'shit sandwich.'
Look who's back! Somebody insult him, QUICK!

(i am kidding) :lol:

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

TinyElvis wrote:The review you had on 'Shark Sandwich'...which was merely a two-word review - just said 'shit sandwich.'
ha!

And the drummer spontaneously combusted, too.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

The review you had on 'Shark Sandwich'...which was merely a two-word review - just said 'shit sandwich.'

jeffc17

Post by jeffc17 »

I'm gonna have to say the stuff Johnny Cash did in the 50's, 60's and early 70's is way off the charts. American Masters is good, but young Johnny is bitchin'.

I think I like Satellite and Automatic Society best so far. Nice edge to them. Best to wait to hear full songs, Jay writes the best turn arounds and transitions I've ever heard.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Well put, sir! And thank you.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

i got on the jay bus in 1998. when i heard trace and wst, i knew i was listening to someone who was pouring his heart and soul into a recording. those recordings changed the way i listened to music. there was no influence from overcommercialized clear channel bullshit.

the alt-country sound uncle tupelo and sv 1.0 had could be interpreted as an extention of the lives those artists were leading at that point in time. i don't think jay could relate to that mode of living anymore, hence the change in his music. if jay got back w/ heidorn/boquist/tweedy and tried to make another anodyne or straightaways i don't think he would do it mid 90's justice. i would proabably feel cheated in that i would not be getting the thing i want most in my music, pureity. tweedy would have the same problem now imo.

so you go out and borrow the search. you take a listen to what you percieve as someone going thru the motions. if that is what you get out of it that is fine. if you take away anything less from it than a brilliant artist at work, doing his best to put out some of the best music of our time, then you have missed the bus sir.[/i]

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dcarter wrote:
trousersnakeandlarry wrote:
Tweety > Farha wrote:
In 2007: Tweedy > Farrar x 10

Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Jeff Tweedy to the board!
Larry, don't insult Jeff Tweedy like that ever again!
What are you talking about? Jeff should be thankful for such compliments!! :lol:

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

sturgeongeneral wrote:I thought you were referring to Sheriff Dillon of Gunsmoke fame. He and Miss Kitty made a fine couple. But I always thought Festus was a dirty minded old geezer and had the hots for Doc.
I do that all the time. My nephew's name is spelled that way, so at least I am confusing his greatness with that Robert Zimmerman guy.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

I thought you were referring to Sheriff Dillon of Gunsmoke fame. He and Miss Kitty made a fine couple. But I always thought Festus was a dirty minded old geezer and had the hots for Doc.