Blueberry hill

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I agree. I don't want to be hokey, but the meeting of Lennon and McCartney is about on the same level for me with Jay and Jeff. For them to meet at such an early age and be so damn good -- each of them -- is pretty wild.

P.S. I have been with the demon rum all evening. So if that made no sense, just ignore.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Saratogajay.....That's great to hear about your license plates! If I saw that on the road, I'd be honking and cheering. And your thoughts about what Uncle Tupelo and the offshoots have done for you...well, you really spoke my mind on that. I really cannot explain what Jay and Jeff's music does to me, but no other music even touches it. And I like a lot of different bands, but these two are in a class by themself.

saratoga jaythe first

message board

Post by saratoga jaythe first »

I was pretty late getting into the whole internet, email and computer world, finally about 3 years ago I guess, and I recently turned 34. I may be a Fred Flintstone on the laptop, but I love having a place like this site to go to. To actually come here and read and think about the music and spirit of everything Jay and Jeff have ever done, be it new or old, is awesome. Whether it be Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt or anything else these two guys have done, it strikes the deepest, most real nerve in my soul, and I will probably never, ever be as moved by any other singer/songwriter/band/musician in my life again. I live in upstate ny, the radio nor people in general know the slightest about Jay, Son Volt or Tupleo. He is the best in my book. I went as far as to get SON*VLT nys license plates for my ride to give my favorite band some love and cheap exposure. And I drive every day for homeboys to see. War this Web Site! War Jay Farrar! Someday the rest of them will know!

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

It sounded like a "one more song" chant to me...

last song was a Jimmy Reed cover. Neil Young covered the same song on his "Broken Arrow" album

Gman

Blueberry Hill

Post by Gman »

As I recall, the crowd was not chanting "Wilco sucks" but "One more song" which Jay most graciously obliged.

countryBoy

blueberry hill

Post by countryBoy »

people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck people suck

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

Dan wrote:If you like UT, then I don't see how you can not like Son Volt, Jay solo, AND Wilco. They're all great. It seems obvious that Jay and Jeff aren't antagonistic toward each other, so why the fans feel compelled to choose sides is beyond me. I do wish Jay would have record sales as big as Wilco, but if that doesnt happen, then what can you do? I think UT, Wilco, SV, and Jay solo are all great.
Yeah. It does seem that Jay's popularity is on the rise though. I've been telling everyone i know (who's into music) about him. I'm an Aware Rep so I've also posted info and his website link on the Aware Rep Forum several times.

Dan

Post by Dan »

If you like UT, then I don't see how you can not like Son Volt, Jay solo, AND Wilco. They're all great. It seems obvious that Jay and Jeff aren't antagonistic toward each other, so why the fans feel compelled to choose sides is beyond me. I do wish Jay would have record sales as big as Wilco, but if that doesnt happen, then what can you do? I think UT, Wilco, SV, and Jay solo are all great.

criminals

Post by criminals »

Here's a weak attempt at a review:

Here is what I can remember from the set list, but I'm sure it's not in the right order....i have to go through the albums to remember the songs, plus they serve beer there!

All of your might
California
Dent County (Jay on keys)
Cahokian
A couple more off the new C/D
Feel Free
Damn Shame
Make it Allright
Voodoo Candle
Vitamins
Tear Stained Eye
Driving the View
Straightface
Still Be Around

Encores

Love You To
Windfall
Cairo Blues
Some blues song by Muddy Waters

Between Cairo Blues and the last song the crowd would not stop cheering so Jay and Mark brought out the vegetable tray and chips and salsa from the dressing room and handed them to the crowd, then went back in the dressing room for a few minutes, finally coming back out to do the last song with Brian Henneman. It was classic.

It seems like i'm missing a bunch of songs. I didn't hear the Wilco chants and I was right up front so I doubt Jay did either, I didn't see him react weird to the crowd.

It was a good show. That was the second time I have seen Jay just with Mark Spencer. I miss the sound of the full band. I would like to see the shows scheduled with the guys from Varnaline in the full band. It makes you appreciate the old Son Volt shows...

I bought the new C/D and am in the middle of listening to it. It seems a lot different than Sebastopol so far, very mellow. Too early to make a call.

Dasein

hoot.

Post by Dasein »

It was a crackin' good show. Got to give out a bunch of signed posters, so that sure made my night! No full band last night, that won't be till the fall. Mark Spencer doin' his usual good work, though the cover of Within You, Without You was absolutely otherworldly. *No one* ever thinks to do that song, much less be able to really pull it off. Henneman came guitar-teched a bit and came out to do a song mid-set and then came back for the 3rd encore. The songs sounded fantastic. Oh! And a very nice cellist played on a song.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Was Jay on stage when thoise tools began chanting that? I'm curious what his reaction would be.

Rich

Post by Rich »

Anybody got a set list? Was the show mostly new stuff? Did Jay work in any of the old Son Volt or UT classics? How did everything sound with a full band?

Throw us a bone.

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

Don't forget Loose Fur.

Well....

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

Yeah really. Why don't people look at the positive side of it? If they didn't break up we'd have Uncle Tupelo. But because they broke up we have old UT, Son Volt, Wilco, and Jay's solo work. I think it's good that things happened the way they did. It urks me that people would sit around chanting "Wilco sucks".

smackie

Blueberry hill

Post by smackie »

Alright the show kicked ass. I can make statements about the music and the atmosphere, which were all phenomenal. However, my biggest problem lay with the chant of "wilco sucks" at the end of the show. I am a fan of both bands/artists. There is absolutely no reason to do this. Wilco kicks ass and Jay Farrar is the new musical god. I hate to see this continued dissention, especially when the shit went down almost a decade ago. Leave it were it lies. Wilco and Jeff have created a whole nother world of music and Jay is so good damn good at what he does. No need to take sides, when all sides are this damn good