Tweedy Lyrics

Lawrence Fan

Re: Tweedy Lyrics

Post by Lawrence Fan »

beatenbynonfiction wrote:I recently saw Tweedy's solo concert. Quite impressive. Just to be clear, I have been a much bigger fan of Jay's post UT career than Jeff's. But I have always enjoyed Wilco's/Jeff's live performances. I have recently been listening to some older Wilco (A.M. & Being There) and it got me wondering; are some of Jeff's early post UT lyrics written specifically for/about Jay? Has Jeff ever talked about this? The following Wilco song lyrics can easily be interpreted as a direct reference to Jay.

Too Far Apart, Misunderstood, Hotel Arizona, Sunken Treasure, Someone Else's Song, & The Lonely 1.

How about the following lines from Too Far Apart: "Is it really punk rock, like the party line? Do you have to think about that? Can I give you some time? 'Cause when I really needed you, you were gone,
So long"

I apoligize in advance if this has been discussed in the past and maybe I am way out of the loop (after all, I have two young children). I have always wondered about these songs and the insight it might shed on their relationship (beyond what all was written/documented in the past). Every once in a while, I get pissed when I think about what could have been with these guys. Of course, maybe this is why we hold the 4 UT records in such high regard (they did not stay together long enough to screw it up - See R.E.M.). The main reason this interests me is that I still hold out hope for a reunion one day down the road. Given the direction these two guys have taken over the past twelve years, if they would ever kiss and make-up, they could create some incredible, better-than-ever music together. I'm sure Heidorn would love to get that call one day. Thanks.
Sturgeon speaks with a grain of truth. Well, maybe it's a good fist-sized
rock of truth. Some people here will tell you to move on and quit living in
the past, yada yada yada. I've since come to to pretty much eliminate any
hope for a reunion, but I do still wonder what could have been. I've
always been a UT fan first and foremost, and I truly believe that the band
was greater than the sum of the parts. Unfortunately it would take more
than a kiss and make up for Jay and Jeff to play together again. If they
ever did, it would most likely be a one-time time thing, like a benefit or
something, and they would probably suck.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

maura tierney wrote:
sturgeongeneral wrote:...devouring one's own excrement...
I've got some DVD's, if anyone is interested...
LMFAO!!!

omg, my sides hurt!

maura tierney

Post by maura tierney »

sturgeongeneral wrote:...devouring one's own excrement...
I've got some DVD's, if anyone is interested...

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

Dear Beaten,

I regret to inform you that you have committed the ultimate heresy by daring to discuss any possible link between Jay and Jeff. As Mr. Spencer so eloquently explained, to commit such a heinous act is tantamount to devouring one's own excrement. I myself do not mind such discussions, however, you should be aware such discussion does raise the ire of some on this message board.

So, to continue with this topic could cause emotional eruptions and chants of disdain.

Good luck.

Jodel

Post by Jodel »

viachicago.com

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

Two headstrong chefs in the kitchen...back again,never.
Besides, did they ever really write songs together? Reading that Kot book, you can see how Jeff is so different than Jay...always looking to try different things, different drummers, different sounds...migraines, freakouts on audiences(1996 London) and Jay 's married same girl, loyal, quiet,kind...I'm sure he gets his rocks off..I don't know them but from a distance...the breakup made LOTS of sense...JF knew what he wanted and did it.

beatenbynonfiction

Tweedy Lyrics

Post by beatenbynonfiction »

I recently saw Tweedy's solo concert. Quite impressive. Just to be clear, I have been a much bigger fan of Jay's post UT career than Jeff's. But I have always enjoyed Wilco's/Jeff's live performances. I have recently been listening to some older Wilco (A.M. & Being There) and it got me wondering; are some of Jeff's early post UT lyrics written specifically for/about Jay? Has Jeff ever talked about this? The following Wilco song lyrics can easily be interpreted as a direct reference to Jay.

Too Far Apart, Misunderstood, Hotel Arizona, Sunken Treasure, Someone Else's Song, & The Lonely 1.

How about the following lines from Too Far Apart: "Is it really punk rock, like the party line? Do you have to think about that? Can I give you some time? 'Cause when I really needed you, you were gone,
So long"

I apoligize in advance if this has been discussed in the past and maybe I am way out of the loop (after all, I have two young children). I have always wondered about these songs and the insight it might shed on their relationship (beyond what all was written/documented in the past). Every once in a while, I get pissed when I think about what could have been with these guys. Of course, maybe this is why we hold the 4 UT records in such high regard (they did not stay together long enough to screw it up - See R.E.M.). The main reason this interests me is that I still hold out hope for a reunion one day down the road. Given the direction these two guys have taken over the past twelve years, if they would ever kiss and make-up, they could create some incredible, better-than-ever music together. I'm sure Heidorn would love to get that call one day. Thanks.