Dixie Chicks and Joe Citizen Blues

IAmtheWalrus

Post by IAmtheWalrus »

ShuckOwens wrote:More often than not, the Grammys are used as the prime example of how stupid Americans are, by people like our old friend Trellis here. Not this time, though. The Grammys have now become an important indicator of how vocal anti-Bush artists are scoring big, and the country is "waking up".
I'm not so sure about that. Neil was nominated but I don't think he won anything did he? T Bone Burnett put out a great album last year and was practically ignored. I think the only thing he got was a production nomination. Both Neil and T Bone had far more to say on their albums, too.

dragster

Post by dragster »

:D :D 8) CJB is a real cool song indeed.....can't help listening to it over and over on the band's Myspace page.

calexico

Post by calexico »

dcarter wrote:
calexico wrote:
trousersnakeandlarry wrote:
dcockass wrote:Stop it!! i say no higher power.
Dear Jesus,
Please smite carter.
Love,
Larry

Dear Jesus,
Please.
Love
Mrs. Carter
Dear Larry and Mrs. Carter,
I smote carter with the jawbone of an ass.
Love,
Jesus
p.s. Calexico won't be able to talk anymore.

Dear Jesus, you truly are Mexican! That was a tire iron from a 1969 Mustang. Dumbass. No wonder your religion is in second place behind Klingon.

Love
Worf, son of Mogh.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

dcarter wrote:
calexico wrote:
Dear Jesus,
Please smite carter.
Love,
Larry

Dear Jesus,
Please.
Love
Mrs. Carter
Love,
Jesus
That's actually quite funny Doug.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

calexico wrote:
Dear Jesus,
Please smite carter.
Love,
Larry

Dear Jesus,
Please.
Love
Mrs. Carter
Love,
Jesus

calexico

Post by calexico »

Dear Jesus,
Please smite carter.
Love,
Larry

Dear Jesus,
Please.
Love
Mrs. Carter

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

ShuckOwens wrote:
Trellis wrote:The interesting thing about the whole Chicks-politics for me was the aggressive pressure some people put them under to just "shut up and sing." Of course the claim that "as musicians they should only sing about non-political issues" took the form of a lie, since if the Chicks had declared how happy they were with Bush their critics on this specific issue would have had nothing to say about the relationship between politics and music. Their critics were not aesthetically frustrated by a gross collision between the supposedly separate spheres of art and politics - they were just mad that their king had been criticized (and especially mad that the critics were blonde-women-country).
But the fiasco also revealed how many country fans (and how many Americans) are *not* dumbass righties. For the grammys, this means the Chicks can still sell a lot of records to this huge market, and selling lots of records, for the grammys, means winning grammys.
Every once in a while the shut-up-and-sing rhetoric shows up on this board, but it doesn't *always* take the form of a lie. I understand the purpose of the lying rhetoric from awful people who want to shut down the possibility of transformative critical thinking wherever they find it, even on a music board or in a small time musician's lyrics. The others are just engaging the music on their own terms, and good for them, even if I don't share their taste.
More often than not, the Grammys are used as the prime example of how stupid Americans are, by people like our old friend Trellis here. Not this time, though. The Grammys have now become an important indicator of how vocal anti-Bush artists are scoring big, and the country is "waking up".

I chose not to purchase the "Boot in your ass" hoo-rah record, or the "Not ready to make nice" Bush-hate record. Not my taste in music, either offering. No more thought went into the non-purchases than that. I reckon you thought I'd have laid a patch with my pick-up, to scramble off to Wal-Mart if the Chix had put out a "noses in Dubya's ass record, hmm? Pretty presumptive of you. But that's what makes you who you are.

Your "smarter than thou" indignant musings, and onrushing rectitude actually have the opposite effect on this "small-time" musician's board. Makes you read mighty close-minded.

But again, that's what makes you who you are. The biggest douchebag on this message board. Nope... I'm not frustrated by a gross collision between the supposedly separate spheres of douche and bag... as you join them together artfully for us.

Hands down... you win, brother.

So stop trying so hard now, mm-kay?

Sincerely,

Dumb-ass rightie #32742000 W
Beautifully put.

beatenbynonfiction

Post by beatenbynonfiction »

Let me clarify: If you love condescending American folkies who wish to be British (Oberst), they will love you.

beatenbynonfiction

Post by beatenbynonfiction »

postcardfromhell.com

If you love condescending British folkies, they will love you. I hear Son Volt has a new guitarist? Talk to me.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

Trellis wrote:The interesting thing about the whole Chicks-politics for me was the aggressive pressure some people put them under to just "shut up and sing." Of course the claim that "as musicians they should only sing about non-political issues" took the form of a lie, since if the Chicks had declared how happy they were with Bush their critics on this specific issue would have had nothing to say about the relationship between politics and music. Their critics were not aesthetically frustrated by a gross collision between the supposedly separate spheres of art and politics - they were just mad that their king had been criticized (and especially mad that the critics were blonde-women-country).
But the fiasco also revealed how many country fans (and how many Americans) are *not* dumbass righties. For the grammys, this means the Chicks can still sell a lot of records to this huge market, and selling lots of records, for the grammys, means winning grammys.
Every once in a while the shut-up-and-sing rhetoric shows up on this board, but it doesn't *always* take the form of a lie. I understand the purpose of the lying rhetoric from awful people who want to shut down the possibility of transformative critical thinking wherever they find it, even on a music board or in a small time musician's lyrics. The others are just engaging the music on their own terms, and good for them, even if I don't share their taste.
More often than not, the Grammys are used as the prime example of how stupid Americans are, by people like our old friend Trellis here. Not this time, though. The Grammys have now become an important indicator of how vocal anti-Bush artists are scoring big, and the country is "waking up".

I chose not to purchase the "Boot in your ass" hoo-rah record, or the "Not ready to make nice" Bush-hate record. Not my taste in music, either offering. No more thought went into the non-purchases than that. I reckon you thought I'd have laid a patch with my pick-up, to scramble off to Wal-Mart if the Chix had put out a "noses in Dubya's ass record, hmm? Pretty presumptive of you. But that's what makes you who you are.

Your "smarter than thou" indignant musings, and onrushing rectitude actually have the opposite effect on this "small-time" musician's board. Makes you read mighty close-minded.

But again, that's what makes you who you are. The biggest douchebag on this message board. Nope... I'm not frustrated by a gross collision between the supposedly separate spheres of douche and bag... as you join them together artfully for us.

Hands down... you win, brother.

So stop trying so hard now, mm-kay?

Sincerely,

Dumb-ass rightie #32742000 W

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

The interesting thing about the whole Chicks-politics for me was the aggressive pressure some people put them under to just "shut up and sing." Of course the claim that "as musicians they should only sing about non-political issues" took the form of a lie, since if the Chicks had declared how happy they were with Bush their critics on this specific issue would have had nothing to say about the relationship between politics and music. Their critics were not aesthetically frustrated by a gross collision between the supposedly separate spheres of art and politics - they were just mad that their king had been criticized (and especially mad that the critics were blonde-women-country).

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

After reading the ongoing debate about faith, science, blah, blah, blah, all I can say is THANK GOD I AM AN ATHEIST!! Of course, the argument could be made that atheism is simply another form of faith, i.e., faith that there is no supreme being. Oh well, back to reading Dr. Seuss and getting my wish list to Santa Claus.

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

Poop sure is stinky.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

With so many turds and asses drifting through the threads, methinks a touch of big, hairy, stinky Valentine's man-love is in the air on this day.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

ShuckOwens wrote:
dcarter wrote:Shuck, thank you but please change my subscription to "Chunky Jackasses". I am drooling thinking about this month's centerfold.
Does this month's issue have Tweedy's hairy cheeks splayed across the centerfold?
If there is a God it does!