bach's out of wilco

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

my bad, of course glen is the drummer.

wilco1836

not good

Post by wilco1836 »

I was a little freaked out by the Soundstage program. It seemed like Wilco was trying to sound like Sonic Youth and face it Jeff is not a guitar player with the god given talent to freestyle. I almost laughed when I heard him do those aweful solos I swear my dogs were looking at the TV funny. The new direction towards a noisy sound is not a good one.

As if Sonic Youth needed to add another wanker to the guitar ranks, that fuckin O'Rourke is a class A guitar abuser and wanker.

Now that Leroy is gone they better hire someone good or maybe Jeff should take up the solo act singer\songwriter thing.

cowboydown

Wilco doesn't have a message board

Post by cowboydown »

Oh I get it--wilco doesn't have a message board so talk ends up here--on Jays site... *sigh*

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

You're exactly right Hank, when you say "No real direction or focus or emotions". I couldn't quite figure out why it sucked other than it was dull.[/quote]

tillotson505

Post by tillotson505 »

I still think Summerteeth is Wilco's best effort, just a beautiful masterpiece.
Yes, I finally found someone that agrees with me on this. Normally I get the "YHF is the same as Summerteeth, but better."

At least one other out there responds, "Well, no, it's not."

Hank Snow

Loose Fur

Post by Hank Snow »

In fact that side project with TweedyO'Rourke and Kotche, Loose Fur, I think was the epitome of what you described as "boring". Sounded like a bunch of pretty talented guys sitting around smoking pot and just jamming for 5 or 10 minutes per song. No real direction or focus or emotions. I don't think YHF was like that, it was awesome, but hopefully they are not going further in that direction. I still think Summerteeth is Wilco's best effort, just a beautiful masterpiece.

Hank Snow

Jay Bennett

Post by Hank Snow »

I agree about Jay Bennett being very important as a musician/producer and cosongwriter. I think more than anyone Jay's influence and talent will be missed. O'Rourke is kind of out there and hopefully Tweedy will to be too influenced by the dull stuff. I saw them on Soundstage a while back on PBS and they did a few songs that are supposed to be on the new album, and they sounded very good.

Bound to Get Burned

Post by Bound to Get Burned »

I've gotta tell ya, I'm worried about the influence of O'Rouke in Wilco and the direction of the songs. I was very pleased with YHF, but parts of that EP and those other projects, sucked. I think there were some good songs on those projects, but they were kinda slow and dull. I think Tweedy/Bennett was the key in Wilco.

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

I think Wilco was originally 5 guys and could have been a shared vision but when JB gained in status with the band, it because the JB-JT project. Now its just Tweedy with his sidemen, as Son Volt started out as.

Hank Snow

Bach

Post by Hank Snow »

Bach played keyboards and guitars, quite well actually and seemed to be very integral part of the band. Kotche is an awesome drummer and I think a key to the Wilco sound over the last years. But personally I feel that ultimately Wilco is Jeff Tweedy, just like Son Volt was Jay Farrar.

freeuntilcaught

Post by freeuntilcaught »

Just a drummer? And he (leroy) isn't even the drummer? hmpf...

Glen's the drummer and if they lose him they Lose

It's a war on war it's a war on war it's a war on war it's a war on war

DS

Post by DS »

Glen Kotche is the drummer isn't he.

If you want to read some funny stuff go to the message board at the Bennett/Burch site.

rgk

Post by rgk »

i think they called him the "multi instrumentalist" guy.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

wasn't leroy the keyboard dude?

thatbeat

Post by thatbeat »

come on, he's just the drummer, dime a dozen... that'll be the last we hear of bach...

jay's got the right idea, hire a band to back him on the road, do his own thing in the studio... he doesn't deal with the b.s. of being in a band anymore. excellent choice...