Other / None / Write in / Something I forgot
No votes

Total votes: 33

bigdieseltrucker

Post by bigdieseltrucker »

True to Life is exactly that.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

highlandcreek wrote:I'm married to Tear Stained Eye, but meet up with True to Life for frequent nooners.
Days later and still the wit burns like a Voodoo Candle1 :lol:

highlandcreek

Post by highlandcreek »

I'm married to Tear Stained Eye, but meet up with True to Life for frequent nooners.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Had to go with True To Life. This was the first Jay song i ever heard and it's what got me hooked.

Back in the days of Napster, i'd search for a rare tune that i loved and then search that person's library because i figured they'd be into the same shit i was. Well, in several people's libraries i saw a band called Uncle Tupelo. I downloaded True To Life and was completely blown away by the voice, the lyrics, everything.

Tune still holds up. Tear Stained Eye is a classic but i've got to go with my sentimental fave.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I went with Tear Stained Eye. It's one of the greatest songs ever written isn't it? True To Life is great too, but you can't fight St. Geneviève.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

Blue Tick wrote:Well, somebody had to vote for Too Early.
Me and you...

Tear Stained Eye is a great song, but Too Early is also one of my favorites, and it needed some love...

Blue Tick

Post by Blue Tick »

megaballs wrote:I've read JF interview where he alluded to Tear Stained Eye as being about a Missouri town , maybe named St. Genoveve, that flooded regularly but did a good job holding back the water.
Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.
megaballs wrote:I've also read about Ten Second that there's a town, MIssouri again, where the put chemicals or oil based shit on road to prevent dirt runoff or something and it was cancer causing. The town had to be deserted.
Times Beach, Missouri. Dioxin.

Here's an interview where he talks about both songs... a little.

I recall reading somewhere that a couple of his lyrical images were things he saw on CNN, including the fire fighters in Out of the Picture and maybe the flooding at Ste. Genevieve. I can't find that interview anymore, though.

Blue Tick

Post by Blue Tick »

Well, somebody had to vote for Too Early.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Tough call. 3 songs from Trace and one of my favorite UT songs, True to Life. Had to go with Tear Stained Eye.

Talus

Post by Talus »

I haven't been voting for many favorites, but I have to go with Tear Stained Eye here. Just about as perfect as a song can be.

Coffee Creek

atta boy, balls ...

Post by Coffee Creek »

megaballs wrote:I've read JF interview where he alluded to Tear Stained Eye as being about a Missouri town , maybe named St. Genoveve, that flooded regularly but did a good job holding back the water. The next line about the title seems, as he would put it (see Gramaphone comments on live DVD) "using poetic license." It sounds stupid but I wished he'd not say the title line !

I've also read about Ten Second that there's a town, MIssouri again, where the put chemicals or oil based shit on road to prevent dirt runoff or something and it was cancer causing. The town had to be deserted.
A-Yup.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Without a moment's hesitation:

TEAR STAINED EYE

megaballs

Post by megaballs »

I've read JF interview where he alluded to Tear Stained Eye as being about a Missouri town , maybe named St. Genoveve, that flooded regularly but did a good job holding back the water. The next line about the title seems, as he would put it (see Gramaphone comments on live DVD) "using poetic license." It sounds stupid but I wished he'd not say the title line !

I've also read about Ten Second that there's a town, MIssouri again, where the put chemicals or oil based shit on road to prevent dirt runoff or something and it was cancer causing. The town had to be deserted.

I voted for Ten Second Buzz.

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

Tear-Stained Eye, in a close one over True to Life. I should go mark the occasion with a Tear-Stained Ale, I think.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dcarter wrote:A stellar letter. Tulsa County almost was my first cover vote but come on no debate, ST. GENEVIEVE!!!!!!! (screaming idiot at the Jay/Volt show who hasn't heard anything post-Trace. No not Glenn) :P
Not me, I didn't even vote for TSE. ;)