Jay Farrar A to Z: "Y" (Fav solo project)

Y - because we LOVE you!

Sebastopol
50%
Thirdshiftgrottoslack
5%
Terroir Blues
23%
Live EP
No votes
Live in Seattle
5%
Stone, Steel & Bright Lights
14%
something else, or nothing
5%

Total votes: 22

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

sebastopol is one of the greatest musical works of art i have ever heard. it wins this catagory based on the first two songs alone. feedkill chain, make it alright, voodoo candle, vitamins, damn shame and barstow are also essential jay tunes.

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

Agreed on the "no live albums" point for me. I'll go with Terroir, but it's close. And I'd like the record to reflect that I'd reach for ANY UT or SV disc before any JF solo. Just sayin'.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

seger_and_priest wrote:terroir, thank you.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Sebastopol.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

SSBL!

seger_and_priest

Post by seger_and_priest »

terroir, thank you.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

dcarter wrote:Live In Seattle is an excellent concert document but I can't vote for a live release in a poll like this. It's against the principle of the thing, just like no votes for covers in the song polls.
Sebastopol over Terrior Blues because it has Windfall's younger, more jaded cousin giving us this :
BREATHE IN ALL THE DIESEL FUMES ADMIRE THE CONCRETE LANDSCAPING AND DOESN'T IT FEEL FREE
You're right. I have hesitated enough. Sebastopol gets my vote.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Still Be Around wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:
Still Be Around wrote:I may be in the minority on this board by saying that I put Jay's solo work behind Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt (in that order) because I just don't get into it quite as much as the others.

With that said, my vote is going to Sebastopol as that is my favorite of his solo albums.

(Now I will open my iTunes and rattle my apartment with a rousing rendition of Before I Break.)
You are in the minority, but it's nice to know there's a kindred UT head here!!
Here's to waking up at night half drunk in a ditch by the side of the road, LF!
It'd do me just fine to make it through the night, SBA!

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
Still Be Around wrote:I may be in the minority on this board by saying that I put Jay's solo work behind Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt (in that order) because I just don't get into it quite as much as the others.

With that said, my vote is going to Sebastopol as that is my favorite of his solo albums.

(Now I will open my iTunes and rattle my apartment with a rousing rendition of Before I Break.)
Here's to waking up at night half drunk in a ditch by the side of the road, LF!

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

I may be in the minority on this board by saying that I put Jay's solo work behind Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt (in that order) because I just don't get into it quite as much as the others.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

SS&BL....

Most of my "Top 25 played songs" on my iPod are from this CD....plus it came with a bonus DVD!!!!

:D

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Live In Seattle is an excellent concert document but I can't vote for a live release in a poll like this. It's against the principle of the thing, just like no votes for covers in the song polls.
Sebastopol over Terrior Blues because it has Windfall's younger, more jaded cousin giving us this :
BREATHE IN ALL THE DIESEL FUMES ADMIRE THE CONCRETE LANDSCAPING AND DOESN'T IT FEEL FREE

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

All very great albums, and hard to choose between Sebastopol and Terroir Blues.... But I'm gonna have to say Terroir Blues. It came out just as I was getting into Jay, so it was the first Jay album that I actually went out and bought the day it came out. It has such a thorough vibe. So soothing and contemplative. Great songs. Great musicianship. Kick ass.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

As I've had a couple votes that I've cast and subsequently regretted, am going to have to pay considerable attention to this one. Terrior is out of the running. And I don't have Third shift or that live ep, which means it comes down to one of the remianing three. That Live in Seattle was kind of a sleeper for me. I liked it when it first came out but REALLY like it now. So am not casting a vote yet. Under consideration.