Bonus Tracks Discussion Thread

grainpulp

Re: JAYFERS IS SOME KIND OF FAMOUS

Post by grainpulp »

Grifterwithafunnylittleha wrote:I love Jay Farrar songs.

He keeps writing well.

And I still have to look-up words to discover they hardly exist.

We think about them, bro. And here's the thing: I'm amazed that I hear every thing so incorrectly for so long on tape and cd, vinyl too ... I get all the words wrong and you always get them right.

Straightgollygeepers
Thats right... You and I (judging from that post you made awhile ago), were both pretty convinced that "The Search" had that line "it's a terra cotta..." but it's "satyricon of info wherever you go."

We been fooled. In a good way. Fer sure.
I ain't gettin worked up.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

JAYFERS IS SOME KIND OF FAMOUS

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

I love Jay Farrar songs.

He keeps writing well.

And I still have to look-up words to discover they hardly exist.

We think about them, bro. And here's the thing: I'm amazed that I hear every thing so incorrectly for so long on tape and cd, vinyl too ... I get all the words wrong and you always get them right.

Straightgollygeepers

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

It's rats, pea. Beacon Soul is heavy on my repeat list too.

I love the bonus tracks but I think they picked the right 14 for the album.

I'm digging the L Train and glad it made the cut. It helps that I take the B train back and forth to Brooklyn every day.

peainthepod

Post by peainthepod »

what no love for Beacon Soul
i pressed repeat on this song more than any other

is the lyric
"rats are bigger than
the noiseless generation"
or is it raps?

this may be a fun song played live

pea

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

Highwater61 wrote:The Bonus Tracks are really good. Some should've replaced some tracks (L Train) on the official release.

Standouts:
Carnival Blues (although Jay's vocal is a bit low in the mix)
Exurbia
Bleed the Line
Coltrane Free
Good call. Gotta love the bonus tracks.

Highwater61

Post by Highwater61 »

The Bonus Tracks are really good. Some should've replaced some tracks (L Train) on the official release.

Standouts:
Carnival Blues (although Jay's vocal is a bit low in the mix)
Exurbia
Bleed the Line
Coltrane Free

Still Be Around

bobdylansbarber wrote:been listening to the delux version (had to sneak into US itunes to do so, but that can be very easily done). Terrific stuff. All good and nothing bad.

However, call me antediluvian but I need to something material with these on it, an intangible series of binary digits wont do - I need a record or a cd or a cassette or a fucking 8 track. Just something I can hold in my sweaty hand. I'm counting on the fact that anyone who wrote a song called gramaphone understands this and will right this wrong soon.

ian
Dude, burn it on a blank cd.

bobdylansbarber

Post by bobdylansbarber »

been listening to the delux version (had to sneak into US itunes to do so, but that can be very easily done). Terrific stuff. All good and nothing bad.

However, call me antediluvian but I need to something material with these on it, an intangible series of binary digits wont do - I need a record or a cd or a cassette or a fucking 8 track. Just something I can hold in my sweaty hand. I'm counting on the fact that anyone who wrote a song called gramaphone understands this and will right this wrong soon.

ian

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Let me get home. :)

Still Be Around

dcarter wrote:Yes. I haven't listened yet, though. The Best Buy one is worth having for the hornless The Picture and the acoustic Highways and Cigaretes. I'll try to get it to you, if you want.
The acoustic Highways and Cigarettes has me pretty interested. I'm sure that's great.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Yes. I haven't listened yet, though. The Best Buy one is worth having for the hornless The Picture and the acoustic Highways and Cigaretes. I'll try to get it to you, if you want.

Still Be Around

dcarter wrote:The Best Buy comes in its own cardboard sleeve. Highways is acoustic with the band and shannon. VERY good. Circadian is from ACL Fest.
Get the iTunes bonus tracks yet, dc?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

The Best Buy comes in its own cardboard sleeve. Highways is acoustic with the band and shannon. VERY good. Circadian is from ACL Fest.

loose_string

Post by loose_string »

I think I was the first to get the Bonus EP at Rasputin's Berkeley. THey had to call upstairs and get a a guy to unwrap a huge stack of them. They are in a separate sleave that has the artwork that's on "The Picture" single that's up on itunes. The songs are:

Underground Dream (live at a Sony studios in front of executives- just Jay)
Highways & Cigs (demo- just Jay and a guitar)
Bandages and Scars (live at Bonnaroo)

It's worth it for the version of Highways. It totally beats the album version.

QUESTION: Does the BEST BUY ep come in a separate package? Is the Cyrcadian rhythm the same version as the ACL EP? Is the Highways version the same as above?

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

damn!! exurbia is different than the okemah version! i should have known.

i have only listened to coltrane free so far from the i tunes stuff. great song. my friend that downloaded it for me listened to this track and said "that is a cool ass song, it didn't make it on the hard copy?"

i dig the 3 track (best buy) ep. i didn't remember the acl version of circadian rhythm being so good.