Bonus Tracks Discussion Thread

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

i was late in getting the itunes stuff. having said that Waking world, Carnival Blues, coltrane Free; all good stuff.

Jay is a very consistent songwriter. most people who have a catalog that big starts to suck after about three albums. But Jay just keeps on writing good stuff.

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

i was late in getting the itunes stuff. having said that Waking world, Carnival Blues, coltrane Free; all good stuff.

Jay is a very consistent songwriter. most people who have a catalog that big starts to suck after about three albums. But Jay just keeps on writing good stuff.

the Watcher

Post by the Watcher »

I love the "deluxe" version. I've listened exclusively to the 22 length album over the regular version, even though I have both.

Having said that, I think that they made the right choices in terms of what songs made the cut for the regular release. Assuming that inserting a bonus track onto the regular release would have required a 1 for 1 trade, which song(s) would you exclude?

I assume the conventional wisdom would be to jettison Slow Hearse, but I've come to be quite fond of that song after initially dismissing it as a sort of novelty 'intro' track, not unlike what you find on a lot of hip hop albums. It serves the overall album quite well, and does stand on its own as a legitimate song.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Still Be Around wrote:Here it is, cal.
Clever clogs... 8)

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

I agree that there are some gems here. Hopefull he will play some of them on his "festival tour" in late summer. If so it may sway me to head north to Fort Worth to see him with my old croonies, Cross Canadian Ragweed during labor day weekend.

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

Here it is, cal.

elliegurl

Post by elliegurl »

i see nothing wrong for paying for music and supporting people who put out music I enjoy...yeah for Jay!
I bought the cd from itunes cuz i had a ton of things to do that day.
I was so hoping that he would play madison on my birthday...he is in chicago and minnie the day after and after, i would of been able to finally go to the show legally!
:)
hoping to make the minnesota show if all goes right, iffy right now.
have a good saturday everybody!
listening to anodyne this morning, just love that cd!
ellie

danmen

Post by danmen »

theadge wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's gonna cost me a boatload of money to support Jay & the Gang this time around with The Search and all its extras. I picked up The Search at Borders for like $12.99. Apparently I didn't keep tabs on the Son Volt/Jay Farrar sites before I did that or else I'd see that I also would need/want to buy the eight bonus tracks found only at iTunes, at 99 cents a pop, or $8 if my math is correct. But in order to get EVERYTHING, I've gotta go to my favorite record store (which is a member of CIMS) to get The Search with the bonus 3-track CD. Then I need to go to Best Buy to pick up The Search with another CD of tracks different than those on the CIMS version. Let's do some math.
The Search — $12
iTunes bonus tracks — $8
The Search CIMS — $15 (the usual CD price if it's on sale)
The Search Best Buy — $15 (just a guess)

That brings us to — $50
Damn shame ...especially since I most likely WILL spend that on Son Volt, not including whatever I shell out to see 'em live this time around.
Your math is correct, but in hindshight, you could have saved the initial $12 borders no bonus material completely... Best Buy new release cost was $9.99 on week 1... It could have been done for
$10 BB
$15 CIMS
$8 Itunes
$33 total...

For the record I have the Itunes and BB version (for the EP) and I have heard the CIMS disc... If I had to do it over, I would have picked the CIMS over BB as the bonus with Acoustic Underground Dreams and Live Bandages are better than the no-horns Picture and acostic Highways...

alphabot

Post by alphabot »

Search iTunes: 9.99
Search Electric Fetus: 12.99
2 Tix to First Ave in April: 36.00

Regret: 0.00 :D

theadge

Post by theadge »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's gonna cost me a boatload of money to support Jay & the Gang this time around with The Search and all its extras. I picked up The Search at Borders for like $12.99. Apparently I didn't keep tabs on the Son Volt/Jay Farrar sites before I did that or else I'd see that I also would need/want to buy the eight bonus tracks found only at iTunes, at 99 cents a pop, or $8 if my math is correct. But in order to get EVERYTHING, I've gotta go to my favorite record store (which is a member of CIMS) to get The Search with the bonus 3-track CD. Then I need to go to Best Buy to pick up The Search with another CD of tracks different than those on the CIMS version. Let's do some math.
The Search — $12
iTunes bonus tracks — $8
The Search CIMS — $15 (the usual CD price if it's on sale)
The Search Best Buy — $15 (just a guess)

That brings us to — $50
Damn shame ...especially since I most likely WILL spend that on Son Volt, not including whatever I shell out to see 'em live this time around.

alphabot

The album so nice I bought it twice...

Post by alphabot »

I'm happy to have all these tracks and bonus tracks. Like when Wilco added the More Like The Moon ep to YHF.

I'd like to hear the horns-free version of The Picture. I imagine it sounds kinda empty. But I didn't buy mine from WorstBuy.

So I just have to use my imagination...or wait till it pops up on hype machine.

Talus

Post by Talus »

You're a tough one. :wink:

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I never said I had rational explanations. The iTunes bonus stuff, I bought it and let it roll. The ONLY one I feel like going back to is Exurbia. Bicycle Hotel is good, but would I bump one of the 14 in favor of it? No. As to Meth, it's good, but I don't see it as the "instant classic" so many have labeled it. Of course it probably will go down as a classic when all's said and done, judging by the reactions here, but I can take or leave it. So okay, "sub-par" was too harsh. I'm just saying I can probably rattle off 10-15 Jay songs I'd rather hear than Meth. Easy.

Talus

Post by Talus »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
Talus wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:
Talus wrote:Go listen to some show tunes... :roll:
That was as killer comeback, you really told me. :roll:
Can't argue with someone who calls Meth sub-par.
This is true.
Talus wrote:Perhaps medication can help.
Now you're talking!
Seriously, you think Bicycle Hotel is filler? Damn, Jay is pouring his guts out.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

Talus wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:
Talus wrote:Go listen to some show tunes... :roll:
That was as killer comeback, you really told me. :roll:
Can't argue with someone who calls Meth sub-par.
This is true.
Talus wrote:Perhaps medication can help.
Now you're talking!