Derry DeBorja

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

About Time.

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

dcarter wrote:Hmm. That is an interesting point, 2112. If Derry were a multi-instrumentalist, like Leroy Bach or some such musician, that would go a long way toward the SV1 songs sounding more SV1. (I am not happy with saying SV1/SV2 but it is an apt shorthand)
L-Train speaks of Billyville. Suhboid Twin of Bellertins. Everybody moved away and did good.

I'm leaning towards not sure of what's going to happen next except for a bunch of live show traveling for 2.

I don't share the same anticipation for Wilco, though I know I'll swoon for some.

I'm assured I should shout out that Derry plays keys like perfect live. And he chooses his spots carefully for J. They all shape the words and acoustic guitar into altogether something different, and sometimes Eric Heywood is there backing up Shannon's sweet voice harmonizing while they bend notes.

I don't know what to do,

p.s. you know I'm serious.

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Dude... TS&L.... thanks for starting this thread. When I first listened to the album, I contemplated starting a Derry appreciation thread myself.
I will openly admit that until hearing "The Search" for the first time he kinda bugged me. But, as you have all already said, he just right on fucking nailed it with this album. Most especially, obviously, the opening of "Underground Dream." Within 0.01 seconds I was sold. Fuck yeah.
The addition of his sound is, in many ways, what makes "The Search"..."The Search." Along with Jay's increasingly melodic songwriting.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Derry, if you are reading this, now is the time to ask these sorry bastards for some cash!

I like your keys too....I mean, you are no Elton John but then again who needs to take David Furnish's cock up their ass to show how good a piano player they are eh? :wink:

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Hmm. That is an interesting point, 2112. If Derry were a multi-instrumentalist, like Leroy Bach or some such musician, that would go a long way toward the SV1 songs sounding more SV1. (I am not happy with saying SV1/SV2 but it is an apt shorthand)

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

While the above statements are true, he ruins the old songs. Maybe if he learned to play violin, banjo or mandolin (for a suprise rendition of Fall Down Easy).

Not trying to rain on the warm fuzzies on this thread, but the old songs suck with keyboards. Just sayin.

He was very nice when I talked to him on the OATMOR tour, and he is a good player. Some of those songs just don't need keys.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Thanks to Derry for providing great keys and thanks to Jay for wanting keys.

mountainkumabear

Post by mountainkumabear »

Derry, you rock!!!

Daddy

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

This is my favorite VOLT record. I'll provide commentary over the next two years. The Search provides additional context.

G

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

Underground Dream evokes a strong emotion in me when I listen. I have a similar emotion when I hear Anders Parker, "Still Dream' from his Northern Key work. They are both great songs of hope.

Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

I also agree. Two thumbs up on the keyboards. It added a really good atmosphere to the songs.

bentonbourbon

Post by bentonbourbon »

Yeah .. lots of people were pissing and moaning about his work during the last tour (not me!!, you can look it up!) .. From what I've heard of the new record, he adds a lot of sonic weight .

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Agree. To the stuff on Okemah added after the fact, it was kind of hit and miss. But The Search begs for keys and Derry killed it.
Loving the sparce return to the pedal steel as well.

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

Derry is dreamy. He has been since Canyon-days (when I first heard / saw him) rock up on that shit.

I love Derry. Derry fucking brings it.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I agree. The keyboards sound great on The Search. They're a big part of some songs, a smaller part of others. Just the way it should be. deBorja gets a lot of shit on this board - adding keyboards to Son Volt's back catalog is a difficult task - but I think he nailed it on this album. Having him tour with Son Volt for so long before getting in the studio probably helped.

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

Dude catches a lot of crap around here, but I agree...the keyboards on Underground Dream are great...