The Search v. Okemah

The Search or Okemah?

The Search
75%
Okemah
21%
Huh?? WW.net is having ANOTHER "super secret sneak preview" of Sky Blue Sky and I'm a douche
4%

Total votes: 24

postcard7

Post by postcard7 »

This surprises me. So far, I like Okemah a lot more. That's not to say that the Search won't grow on me but it's not there at this point.

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

You're right about your opinion being the only one that matters, but it's kind of nice to hear feedback from others. It becomes a problem when someone belittles others taste or tries to convince them to feel the same way as they do. I'll probably never listen to Okemah again but it's proudly on display with all the others, but I wouldn't try to talk others out of enjoying. But with that being said someone does need to cure Doug of his love for Tweedy. That goes against all that is good in this world.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

A very tough call for me. I love both albums. I do think Okemah is more consistent. Okemah also holds a special place for me because I had lost track of SV for a couple of years. I owned and dug Trace, and had caught SV 1.0 live a couple of times, but did not follow Jay's solo efforts. I bought Okemah on the way out of an Aimee Mann show one night popped it in and was blown away. Listened to Okemah incessantly for months, subsequently bought all of Jay's solo stuff (love Sebastapol), saw Gob Iron; now spend half my day reading this silly message board, etc. Okemah made all that possible. I have always been a little surprised the record does not get more love here.

That said, I love the Search. Like any great artist Jay has the ability to make previous albums seem passe' when the newest one comes out. Still, I routinely skip "Automatic" and "Satellite" on the new record, something I never did with Okemah. Also, while sonically The Search may be stronger than Okemah, I believe the writing on Okemah to be superior, especially Chaos Streams and Atmosphere.

Finally, it should be noted that my opinion is the only one that matters, as it soars over the "Speculation din."

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

dcarter wrote:
farrarfan1 wrote:
dcarter wrote::lol: You will find that for some folks here, there is no view but their own. A microcosm (sp.?) of life, the board is!
You should substitute the words "all of the" for the word "some".
Don't lump tweety>farha in with all the crazies, Tom!
My point was that everyone thinks their own view is the only correct one and that opposing views are wrong.

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

Search. L Train is such a great song. He shows growth as a songwriter while staying true to his roots.

Not many artist who have put out as many albums as Jay still write good songs. Jay still writes good songs.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

farrarfan1 wrote:
dcarter wrote::lol: You will find that for some folks here, there is no view but their own. A microcosm (sp.?) of life, the board is!
Don't lump tweety>farha in with all the crazies, Tom!

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

The point that I am trying to make is whether a record "brings it home" for me. When I first heard The Search there was a sense of , "yeah, that is what music should sound like." Entirely subjective and internal.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Revolver over Sgt. Pepper's by a lengthy Owsley voyage.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

I can understand that someone might not want to choose between the two. It really is a personal and subjective determination. For instance, could you choose between Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. I can and hands down for me, Revolver is the better record although both were created by the same amazing muscians.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

:lol: You will find that for some folks here, there is no view but their own. A microcosm (sp.?) of life, the board is!

SeattlefanfromAustin

The Poll

Post by SeattlefanfromAustin »

Must one album be better, or preferred over the other? I feel that they are both good....good, and different.

m.truslow

Post by m.truslow »

It's like comparing Apples and Oranges.............they're both great. M.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I love Okemah, but The Search tops it.

Listened to Okemah a week ago after non-stop listening of The Search and it still holds up for me. Chaos Streams is a top 5 Jay song for me. Well, maybe top 10 now with all these new songs. Joe Citizen Blues should have made Okemah though.

calexico

Post by calexico »

dcarter wrote:Monster was after Automatic for the People and The Search was after Okemah though.
Peter Pedantic!