Electric Bouzouki

audiophile

Post by audiophile »

You got me then. But I will say that is a cool loop anyways.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

summersleep wrote:
dcarter wrote:It would be nice if the admin started a thread for questions like this one. A thread where you could submit legitimate questions about what instrument was played on what song, touring questions, recording questions, etc. If people submitted too many dumbass questions or if anyone posts anything but a question for Jay/the band/management (no non-admin responses or threadjacking) then the thread would be deleted. That should ensure that we take it seriously. Even if it took a long time for a response, I am certain that we all would appreciate it. A modest proposal. :D
Great idea!
Finally! Someone who recognizes a sound proposition. Thank you.

P.S. You're just jealous, Zeag. :wink:

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

summersleep wrote:
dcarter wrote:It would be nice if the admin started a thread for questions like this one. A thread where you could submit legitimate questions about what instrument was played on what song, touring questions, recording questions, etc. If people submitted too many dumbass questions or if anyone posts anything but a question for Jay/the band/management (no non-admin responses or threadjacking) then the thread would be deleted. That should ensure that we take it seriously. Even if it took a long time for a response, I am certain that we all would appreciate it. A modest proposal. :D
Great idea!
Jesus H. Christ...don't encourage him!!!!

:wink:

summersleep

Post by summersleep »

Great idea!

loose_string

Post by loose_string »

Audiophile, that's a guitar backmasked and looped.

Again, the Bouzouki makes a mandolin sound.

Also, the liner notes don't mention a Saz. Just a Bouzouki.

So where does it appear on the record?

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

When I was a little boy my daddy made me sleep in a shed. He dug out a hole in the ground, threw a blanket over the hole, and that was my bedroom until the mental hospital. Oh yeah, my little brother had to sleep in a shoebox. Poor little feller never had a chance.

audiophile

Post by audiophile »

I think it is looped in the tune Circadian Rhythm.

Asphalt

Post by Asphalt »

calexico wrote:Nice shed! Nice tunes too, thanks for the info. Bout time we had a Scot on board here. Apart from Green, I can't think of another one.
Thanks for your kind words .... not enough people pay enough attention to sheds nowadays .... glad you liked the tunes too ---- H

calexico

Post by calexico »

Nice shed! Nice tunes too, thanks for the info. Bout time we had a Scot on board here. Apart from Green, I can't think of another one.

Asphalt

Post by Asphalt »

Calexico is right about the Turkish origins .... but the one I made for Jay is a little bit less "traditional " .... it has 3 double sets of strings which are tuned DEA .... like a mirror image of the three loweat strings of a guitar .... and it was powered by half of a fender precicion bass pick up ... (Jay may have changed this since) .... This is not an attempt to advertise my own thing here folks, so you can ignore the music (you won`t be missing much) and have a look at my pics ... there`s one of the Saz, and one of my Tele`s that Jay signed for me, and some other stuff ...
There`s only two of these Saz`s alive so far ... and one on the way for a friend who plays in a band from Edinburgh called Dropkick (who are worth a listen) ...
anyway, enough of my rambling ... the place to see the Saz is at ..

www.myspace.com/theasphaltdirtrollers

I hope you find this useful ... H

loose_string

Post by loose_string »

But isn't that "Eastern" sound the electric sitar that Brad Rice gets credit for in the liner notes?

And doesn't a bouzouki sound like a mandolin?

calexico

Post by calexico »

Asphalt wrote:I don`t know if this helps .... but I know for a fact that Jay has an electric Saz, which I made for him a few years back .....and it can sound bouzouki like ... but sometimes a little more eastern too, because of the tuning .... maybe that`s what you`re hearing -- or maybe not ..... although I believe he did use it already on the "space junk" on Terroir ......
It does look like a bouzouki too, from what little I know of that instrument. Donal Lunny of Plantxy and Moving Hearts is a gifted bouzouki player and that's what I recognise it from. This saz does look similar. Turkish descent too, the things you learn on message boards eh? :D

http://larkinthemorning.com/product.asp ... 1175952338

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

wow, dig that.

Asphalt

Post by Asphalt »

I don`t know if this helps .... but I know for a fact that Jay has an electric Saz, which I made for him a few years back .....and it can sound bouzouki like ... but sometimes a little more eastern too, because of the tuning .... maybe that`s what you`re hearing -- or maybe not ..... although I believe he did use it already on the "space junk" on Terroir ......

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Alter-ego wrote: Wow Doug, that idea really started a conversation!

dcarter wrote: Yeah. It got the wheels turning for sure!!