My new favorite Son Volt song is...

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

My new favorite is Phosphate Skin. Old favorites were Highways and Circadian.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Regarding the "stuck" loop. I was at the LA show and know that the loop is supposed to run on a bit after the instrumentals have stopped, but in SDGO it went on and on, well past the "act" was meant to. I thought for a minute Ashlee Simpson was working the mixing board.

jleduc

Post by jleduc »

I've been burnin' up the extra eight songs from 'The Search' and my favorite out of those is "Houdini Punches." That one sounds a lot like Neil Young to me--not that it's a bad thing...Of course, it will take a great, great effort by Jay to pry Left A Slide from the top spot. Several of his new songs approach greatness, but I need more time to assess them. Right now, I am still basking in the glow of a new SV album.

naugrad

Post by naugrad »

postcard7 wrote:My favorite new SV song is Methamphetamine, Automatic Society and HIghways and Cigarettes. Can i have 3?
On any given day and in any order:

Circadian Rhythm
Beacon Soul
L-Train
Meth

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

postcard7 wrote:My favorite new SV song is Methamphetamine, Automatic Society and HIghways and Cigarettes. Can i have 3?
you can have as many as you want! they are all good. no, they are classic, to the intelligent ear anway.

postcard7

Post by postcard7 »

My favorite new SV song is Methamphetamine, Automatic Society and HIghways and Cigarettes. Can i have 3?

blackseacityman

Post by blackseacityman »

TragicFig wrote:At the SDGO show last night the loop for Circadian got stuck somehow...after the band had finished the tune it just kept going and going. Jay stood there adjusting his guitar with a bemused look on his face. When it finally stopped the crowd cheered and Jay laughed, then launched into the next tune...

That's a litle "act" they've been doing on this tour. They did it in in LA, like "Hey, listen it's a loop!"

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

sturgeongeneral wrote:I play Left A Slide standard tuning at the first position: G, C, Am, G, D
Sounds okay to me. But, then again, I prefer not to capo Meth and also play it in the first position, G, D, C, Em, D.
That's how Jay plays LAS live. But if you play to the record, you'll be out of tune.

I haven't tried to play the song Meth yet, but those chords sound like they would work.

JWB56

Post by JWB56 »

I bought the 8 extra songs and my Son made me a deluxe version in the order they had on itunes and I can't stop listening to it. I haven't been this hooked on an album since Greendale. The two I'm always repeating are Carnival Blues and Acetone Angels. CBlues is a great guitar song and I swear Jay sounds a lot like Neil on the second one. Anyone have the lyrics?

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

I play Left A Slide standard tuning at the first position: G, C, Am, G, D
Sounds okay to me. But, then again, I prefer not to capo Meth and also play it in the first position, G, D, C, Em, D.

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

camaroheadus wrote:
Left A Slide wrote:Amen to that!
welcome to the board man!
You probably already know this Camaroheadus, but the chords are Amin, Emin, D. over and over and over again.

Sounds really cool on a baritone guitar.

Left a slide is a way cool song. I play it weird though. Album is tuned down half step, which I hate tuning down. So I capo first fret and use (relative to capo) Bb, Gmin, F and C.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Thanks.
Been lurkin' for awhile.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

Left A Slide wrote:Amen to that!
welcome to the board man!

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

Amen to that!

Talus

Post by Talus »

My new fave is my old fave. Nothing is better than Left A Slide.