Solana Beach

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Yeah. We didn't get Slow Hearse or Medicine Hat, but I feel like the crowd was absolutely energized. Moreso than the Cane's show here with the DBT and much moreso than when I saw them in LA on the Okemah tour. Jay really seemed to enjoy himself as well the other night. I guess maybe it's a timing time.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I don't mind if Jay plays whatever he wants...its awesome.

With that said, been a bit paranoid regarding the LA setlist versus SF on friday....same set minus Med hat, Drown and Slow Hearse. It was such a small setting that when I showed up B4Magnolia's set, I saw Duplantis smoking...said hi, he was friendly...walked past Dave, another smoker and later smoked next to Derry and then, seriously...Chris! spent the SV show 10-15 feet from Jay and the band...loved it..am still amazed how accessable these guys are, with Jay being a superstar in my book. But LA got shorted those three gems...someone alluded to the fact that LA's such a blase bunch, got me thinking that we didn't show him enough love or energy...or more likely they started 10 minutes late or just didn't feel like playing the same set. I'm wondering about Solara and Pho and Minny....I'll be at the Vic Tues in Chitown and am real close to the friday night open air show in Austin...you only live once right?

So lets see how the setlist goes these next couple of shows.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Route, yes. No Medicine Hat. So no Straightaways, no WST. I don't really mind too much. I take all the old songs as a bonus. The real show is the songs off the new record. I much prefer that than when bands bring out one or two new songs among their old hits. However, Straightface would have been killer.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

so they played Drown..Route as well I'm assuming?.what about Medicine Hat?

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Negative, unfortunately. I was hoping for Slow Hearse. They did play Drown, but not before they opened the encore with Windfall.

megaballs1

Re: Solana Beach

Post by megaballs1 »

keith21 wrote:Anyone else there? Killer show. Great crowd too, showed Jay and the band a lot of love. Same basic setlist. Covers were 1000 and Pocahontas. Chris Masterson was amazing. He killed.
Magnolia Electric Co. was pretty fucking boring though. I had heard good things but those things were wrong. If you're gonna jam and trade off solos, you better bring it. They did not.

did they play Medicine Hat, Drown and/or Slow Hearse at the start of the encore?

tmail

Post by tmail »

Left A Slide wrote:
keith21 wrote:Anyone else there? Killer show. Maybe Strawberry....[/quote

Strawberry is a great venue.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Well, theSearch stuff is pretty tame and subtle, and I thought he pulled it off nicely. The loops in circadian rhythm sounded very cool. The Okemah stuff is loud but fairly simple and I thought he did a good job. The exception being Jet Pilot, he wasn't bending where he should have in that main heavy part.
What I thought was great was that his country stuff and pedal steel simulation was miles ahead of Rice. He was tearing it up on songs like Tear Stained Eye, Barstow (with the baritone!), and Windfall.

I see where you're coming from and believe me, level of skill on guitar has nothing to do with appreciation in my opinion. Someone who doesn't play at all has every right to say Satriani sucks, cause he does. Masterson definately wasn't the flashiest player of the bunch, but he seems like the best fit to me.
I agree with you that Jay could play lead a lot more and I would enjoy the hell out of it. During the Okemah tour I would always look forward to Endless War midset to watch him go off.
It's funny, I thought Bandages and Scars was one of the best songs of the night. They built it up so much by the end solo it was just thundering. They were really gelling as a band.
And Medication rocked once again!

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

I have seen Jay once during his solo phase with Mark S. and 3 times in his SV incarnation in support of the Okemah record. Hopefully, I will be able to see them at some point during this tour to do a comparison. I never had the opportunity to experience the Eric Heywood and Boquist Bros. days except for the Austin City Limits DVD.

I must say I enjoyed Jay more in his solo mode. Maybe part of the reason is I play an acoustic and do some solo singing and I am drawn to that dynamic more. Also, Jay is such a strong songwriter and song interpreter which is front and center when he is solo and I think that is his forte.

STLBlues05

Post by STLBlues05 »

No,...and thats what i was expecting. But when all the other songs were played,..he had the opportunity to melt my face off,...and never seemed to take advantage. Just fizzled out like a dud.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Did his guitars seem stronger for the non-Search songs?

STLBlues05

Post by STLBlues05 »

I have to be honest. I'm only a practicing guitar "player", but I was not impressed with Masterson in any way, shape, or form. I've seen SonVolt a good 6 or 7 times. I've seen Boquist, Frame, Rice and Masterson take their turn and and this was by far the least stellar show of the bunch.

The solo's that I used to look forward too were just bland. Most especially evident on Bandages & Scars. Granted, I was standing about 4 people deep in front of the stage,...possibly missing a sweetspot for the sound, but it just sounded like he was doing alot of nothing. There were times where I thought he was turning the corner, but then would just back off again.

I can remember the last show at Canes where Jay would step back and just watched Brad Rice tear it up and love it. I saw nothing like that at this show. In fact,...there were a few times Jay played lead, and to me, was much more true to the song.

Jay is a helluva guitar player and should utilize himself more in the lead role if he doesn't have someone of Brad's caliber in the lineup.

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Bummed the kids were sick. Hope they are doing better. For all: The opening act is lame. No need to arrive before 9:45 or so.

Left A Slide

Post by Left A Slide »

keith21 wrote:Anyone else there? Killer show. Great crowd too, showed Jay and the band a lot of love. Same basic setlist. Covers were 1000 and Pocahontas. Chris Masterson was amazing. He killed.
Magnolia Electric Co. was pretty fucking boring though. I had heard good things but those things were wrong. If you're gonna jam and trade off solos, you better bring it. They did not.
I wanted to in the worst way, but two sick kids prevented it.
Maybe Strawberry....

keith21

Solana Beach

Post by keith21 »

Anyone else there? Killer show. Great crowd too, showed Jay and the band a lot of love. Same basic setlist. Covers were 1000 and Pocahontas. Chris Masterson was amazing. He killed.