Belly up

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

I have seen SV 1.0, OATMOR, SV 2.0 with Chris Frame, etc. Those complaining that this version of the band does not measure up I believe are wrong, especially with regard to SV 1.0. I don't believe the original line up had the live chops that the SV 2.0 line ups have had. True, Chris Masterson is not as gifted a player as Brad Rice; he also does not handle the slide work as well as Chris Frame. But he has a good, staccato slow hand and handles all the midtempo stuff very well. He'll never have great fret dexterity, but that doesn't matter to me. I'll take a soulful player over a speed metal axe any day. Masterson has good instincts, great stage presence and plenty of talent. Besides, he's new. He'll only improve with time.

It also seems to me that those complaining about the current line up/show are fans who prefer the country to the alt. They miss the pedal steel, etc. Ok. But that is not Jay's vision for the current CD. The current CD and the tour supporting it features more alt and less country. Fine by me. Especially at a live show. I frequently skip over Automatic and Satellite in the car, but live they rocked hard, and contributed the overall uptempo feel to the current show. I also love the blaring organ and electric piano at the live show.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but as I see it the current rock and roll focused set list makes for a fantastic night of live music. Let's hope Jay gets over his cold soon. He's got miles to travel and thousands of knowledgeable, appreciative fans yet to play for.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

the importance of a lead guitarist is paramount. i think everyone here knows that.

if you think the difference between brad rice and chris masterson is so huge, thats fine. i don't see it. most people have sung mastersons praise.

i do agree with you saying our views on the son volt vehicle are different.

to each his own.

STLBlues05

Post by STLBlues05 »

maybe you just saw the wrong show, maybe your mindframe was wrong that night. i don't think the difference between the okemah tour and this one are that different, i don't get your "jay and some friends playing old son volt stuff and some new songs" reference.[/quote]

Well,..this quote wouldn't make sense to you because we disagree on the very concept of Son Volt. I don't feel that Jay IS Son Volt. I believe that Son Volt was the entire band. Now that everyone but Jay has been replaced, they are NOT the same. And in my opinionation, the new band pales in comparison.

I would imagine Jay would agree that Son Volt is not just himself, but the work of all individuals. This would be why he decided to do a couple of solo albums, so as to have freedom from the Son Volt vehicle.

I was not at the wrong show,...I checked my stub and it definitely says Son Volt. Also, my mindframe was in fine form on this particular evening. There is a huge difference on this tour from the Okemah tour. His name is Chris Masterson. If you don't believe that a lead guitarist can make all the difference in the world, you are sadly mistaken.

How can someone quote Mark Spencer, then neglect to acknowledge the importance and effect of a lead guitarist ?

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Antelope850 wrote:It's funny how dcarter and occasionally some other people get offended when there are posts on this board critical of Jeff Tweedy and Wilco. When Jay actually takes far more shit on his own message board. I'm glad everyone has their own opinions and isn't afraid to share them. But sometimes it seems you can't read a couple of positive posts about Jay without someone chiming in "not so fast."
WAIT A MINUTE!! I do not nor have not gotten offended at criticism of Wilco! I am amazed at the people that have to turn any mention of Wilco or Tweedy into a vitriolic attack. I recently alluded to Jay getting shit on his board. I agree with you on this. It is the same mindset. No matter what the thread is about, some have to turn it into criticism. Start a criticism thread. People can post what they want, though. I don't care if they criticize Jay, Jeff or my mom. It is the "seeing Wilco or Tweedy's name on this board is a crime against Jay" idiocy that offends me.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

What joke book? Such things are available for purchase?

calexico

Post by calexico »

sturgeongeneral wrote:Cocking his rifle or rifling his cock?
You really will have to get a new joke book.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

Cocking his rifle or rifling his cock?

CanadianVolt

Post by CanadianVolt »

I guess with me, I was a bit over critical with Jays latest offering because I know he is one of the best singer songwriters out there. I feel there was a lot left on the table with this latest recording. However, its still a great album and I do listen it, so that has to say something. I just think there's a lot more gas left in the tank. The live show is where it's at and I think overall these songs will lend themselves well to the road.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

STLBlues05 wrote:I have to disagree. I have seen Son Volt a half dozen times and this was my least favorite. I found myself looking at the stage and thinking,...if you take Jay out,...who the hell are these guys???

I last saw them on the OATMOR tour last year,...and I loved it. I appreciated them for who they were. I have accepted that they are no longer the original band and was thrilled with the new guys.

However, this time,...it just didn't seem like a band to me. It was just Jay and some friends playing old Son Volt songs and some new stuff.

I thought back to my first show with Heidorn and the Boquists and how they had an image, a certain grungy country feel that just doesn't come across anymore.

The fiddle and peddle steel have been replaced with slide guitar and keyboard. The gritty, troubador feel of the Boquists have been traded for a vanilla guitarist with a glam-goth look and an excellent bassist who's bouncy cuteness is a distraction. I will however accept the Heidorn for Bryson trade. He is a fantastic drummer and fits the mold perfectly.

I am all for evolution and artistic growth. However, I felt like this version of the band and I have grown apart.

With that said,...I'll be one of the first in line to get tickets the next time they come to town.
you make no sense. how can you say "if you take jay out, who are these guys" jay is son volt, no questions asked. always has been, always will be.

maybe you just saw the wrong show, maybe your mindframe was wrong that night. i don't think the difference between the okemah tour and this one are that different, i don't get your "jay and some friends playing old son volt stuff and some new songs" reference.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Looks around for some Kleenex for Antelope

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

calexico wrote:Cue Antelope, with a smile and a frisson of sexual excitement in his body, cocking his rifle and trying not to hit Tal's feet
Cue Antelope, frantically looking up the definition of frisson ...

(an almost pleasurable sensation of fright; "a frisson of surprise shot through him")

... hmmm, nice.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Talus

Post by Talus »

calexico wrote:Cue Antelope, with a smile and a frisson of sexual excitement in his body, cocking his rifle and trying not to hit Tal's feet
Don't shoot, I'm just the bread man.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Cue Antelope, with a smile and a frisson of sexual excitement in his body, cocking his rifle and trying not to hit Tal's feet

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

calexico wrote:
Antelope850 wrote:No, this place would be pretty hollow if everyone said nothing but positive things about Jay and Son Volt if they didn't mean them. But to me - a few people posted about how amazing the San Diego show was and it gets me psyched for when the tour comes to the East Coast. Then it evolves into another thread about how Son Volt's not the same without the Boquists, not the same without fiddle and banjo, etc. It's a bit of a buzz kill for me. That's all.
Cue Antelope climbing the old clock tower with a rifle
My first emoticon ever. :lol: