04/05/07 Tucson

lars

Post by lars »

Well he did have problems during "Circadian Rhythm" but I thought he recovered nicely and played well the rest of the night. I was at the Flagstaff show as well and thought Mr. Rice was good but I like the new guy better, he just looks like he has been touring with TSOL for decades.

I just downloaded the Mystic Theater show which has just about the same set list but it does not have the intensity of the Tucson, maybe it is the recording vs. live thing or the fact that we got to hear the reggae version of "Life Worth Living", "Voodoo Candle" was also better in Tucson.

Anyone with a recording of the Tucson show?

Cheers

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

Life Worth Livin sounds cool. I hope they keep doing that.

Masterson looks like his diet consists of piece of leaf lettuce everyday. But, if he can play, that's all that's counts.

cpuglise

Post by cpuglise »

Hi all,

> The guitar player is the real deal, Brad who?

Must say, I disagree. While I thought he was great on the "rockin'" older stuff, as well as "Voodoo Candle" -- I did not care for his addition to the new stuff and I thought his solos hurt "Windfall" and "Tear Stained Eye" -- way too technical and precise IMHO.

Does seem like each tour I see they become more and more of a rock band with less mellow songs -- certainly not a bad thing. Completely loved the show last night -- not sure if I liked it better than Flagstaff 1.5 years ago -- both were excellent.

Take care,
Chris

matt

Post by matt »

I am really hoping they pull out Life Worth Living in Boulder tomorrow night!!

lars

Post by lars »

Tucson show

Arrived about 7:30, kid with anatomy book behind the ticket counter said abou 400 tickets were sold. It really looked light well into the opening act which I liked. Heard some of Ohio stuff on Last FM which is really nice if you have not checked it out yet. You put in your favorite band and it will play you similar stuff. The turnout looked better by the time SV took the stage.

I think SV is on a mission. They were switching guitars after almost every song and as quick as they could.

Most of "The Search" was played including Circadian Rhythm, Satellite, Meth, Highway & cigs. Then some Okemah starting with Jet Pilot, Atmosphere.

Voodo Candle, Barstow, Damn Shame

Encore was Windfall, the raggae version of Life worth livin, I first thought this was going to be the Clash cover of Armagideon Time but the reports are true from the west coast. Finally Chickamauga, no 3 encores like SF got. They played for almost 2 hours.

The guitar player is the real deal, Brad who? He looks like skinny verion of Molly Shannon but boy can he deliver. I really liked the guy Dylan had at the Gorge at George back 10 years ago when he played with Joni Mitchell and Van the man but he could be better and since I have only seen Son Volt in AZ, the best SV axe man for sure.

The best of the 3 Son Volt shows I have been to by far. No horns but trust me you will not miss them.

lars

04/05/07 Tucson

Post by lars »

Will be biking done to tucson in 1 hour to see the Volt. Will try and post a setlist later tonight.