Voodoo Candle

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

the new version is better than the old one. It does not translate as well in the recordings as it does live. give it a chance standing at a show, and you will see what i mean.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

This new version doesn't suit me at all...

:(

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

I liked the Gob Iron version but I think more than the actual song, I liked the idea that Jay reworked the song, and Out On The Road, into this punk, Uncle Tupelo like trio song. Melody wise, I thought it worked it much better in its original version but the reworked rocking version seemed perfect for the Gob, especially since I thought the Gob shows would be pretty mellow. I liked the surprise (those were awesome shows.) But the Son Volt version of this sounded better to me on first listen, a little cleaner and more melodic than the Gob Iron version. Looking forward to seeing it live.

cpuglise

Post by cpuglise »

Must agree with the "yea"s

From the Tucson show last night that was probably my favorite song -- absolutely loved it. My buddy (who was unfamiliar with this song) also indicated it was one of the hi-lights of the show for him.

Take care,
Chris

mikewilliamson

Post by mikewilliamson »

I absolutely adore the reworked VOODOO.

I thought it was a bit superior when GOB IRON played it (more scrappy - true to the REPLACEMENTS-esque new vibe) but it's great with the Son Volt gang, too.

Love it, love it, love it.

Mike

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

I never cared for the original version (in fact I hated it) but was floored when I heard the new live version (that pea shared from the Mystic show). Call me crazy, but it really sounded like old UT to me. I think a lot of it has to do with Chris Masterson's guitar playing, which I believe is stellar (dont get me wrong, I would give my left nut to have Dave Boquist back.) I love how he twangs up a lot of the old songs (windfall, tear stained eye) which Brad Rice and Chris Frame were unable to do. Yeah we dont have fiddle, dobro, or pedal steel on this tour but what Chris brings to the table is the next best thing. Someone mentioned that Jay is playing more leads on this tour. That's fucking awesome, Jay is a helluva guitar player and I love when he solo's (see chickamauga) so the more the better.

head tone harmony

Post by head tone harmony »

Its funny because he really nailed the new version during the Gob Iron tour. That was on of the highlights of that show for me. When they played it last week with SV, i agree it sounded too muddy and for whatever reason, off.

calexico

Post by calexico »

Listening to it now again and it just doesn't flat out work for me. The studio version was so perfect that to re-jig it just seems horrible and pointless.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

it sounded odd, especially in light of the cool original version.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Hearing it for the first time the other night, I found it awkward. Especially Jay's phrasing. But by the end they had built it up so well and it was really groovin', I was really enjoying it.

loose_string

Voodoo Candle

Post by loose_string »

Someone else brought this up, but I hate the new version of "Voodoo Candle". It's just 2 chords over and over again. Noisey.

The original was so perfect.

I was really hoping for a Son Volt version of "Buzz and Grind" at the show or maybe a whole-band rockin' version of "Hard Times".

Boo Hoo Candle.