What SHOULD SV 2.0 play on Letterman 4/17?

What Search song should be played on Letterman?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Automatic
4%
Meth
32%
Circadian R
4%
Highways and Cigs
8%
Underground Dream
No votes
Action
4%
L Train
12%
Slow Hearse/Phosphate Skin/Adrenline Medley
No votes
The Search
24%
Beacon Soul
12%

Total votes: 25

DeWayne Hayes

Post by DeWayne Hayes »

I'd go with "The Search." I hate it when bands go on Letterman (Leno, etc.) and play some ballad or mid-tempo song when there's a smokin' single that needs to be played to impress the unfamiliar.

Do I love "Methamphetamine"? Absolutely. But if I'd never heard Son Volt, would "Meth" make me go out and buy their album? No.

However, that killer riff and awesome hook of "The Search" would. I know bands want to show their depth, but when you've got 3.5 minutes on national TV - bring the thunder, man!

DeWayne

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Should be Meth but probably will be The Search. Bouncy, short, good hook.

Unhurried Ways

Post by Unhurried Ways »

Upon further review, I'd pick L Train. It's shorter than Circadian, it's got NY connections, it's got that great hook ("L train to Williamsburrrgh"), the catchphrase "satellite voice gets lost...", and an easy melody with some Son Volt-style rhythm changes.
But the scenario with the house band horns seems more likely.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

To my ear, L Train is the most "commercially sounding" song so they might play that. However, personally my choice would be Meth

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

what they will play - teh picture

what i want them to play - meth

what the should play for popularity - teh search

imo

elliegurl

Post by elliegurl »

i am thinking they will play L Train, been hearing that song a lot on xm radio.
:)
ellie
ps i hope they play bicycle hotel

Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

ResDisagree with Antelope unless he has some inside scoop...

I'm almost positive they will do "The Picture" wiht an arrangemetn that will include Schaffer's bands Horns..

I'd much rather hear Meth as it very topical and important song and IMHO one of his three best compositions he has ever written..

But "The Picture" does have a nice groove and you can dance to it..

Sort of..

:)

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Hoops wrote:I seriously doubt CBS approving of 'Meth' on the air.
how about in the background of an upcoming episode of 48 Hours?

"Tonight, on 48 Hours. She was a straight-A student. She was captain of both the Latin club and varsity field hockey team. She was a teenage beauty who wanted to go to college to study Chemistry. But this Princess of the Prairie was hiding something....she was a slave to the powerful addiction of the drug that has found its way into every town and city of our nation. And now she's dead." :idea:

danmen

Post by danmen »

I am seriously wanting Adrenaline to join this setlist as a permanent member... I really like this record and sincerly hope more tracks from it will be played in future concerts...

Hoops

Post by Hoops »

I seriously doubt CBS approving of 'Meth' on the air.

danmen

Post by danmen »

Antelope850 wrote:It won't be The Picture. They just played that on Conan and they won't do it again.

My guess is The Search because it's a solid rock song (the kind Letterman likes) and it's short (which the late night shows like because they always seem to be running long.)

Meth with Eric Heywood sitting in would be sweet.

Listening to pea's Mysitc show, Beacon Soul sounds incredible and would be a nice choice. But they'd have to bleep out "shit."
Not to hijack here, but I wonder what gets a cd an "explicit" label... Beacon soul does not get this one stickered... Devils and Dust got stickered for Ass and Fu*k (Ass was used in a sexual manner)... just wondering..

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

It won't be The Picture. They just played that on Conan and they won't do it again.

My guess is The Search because it's a solid rock song (the kind Letterman likes) and it's short (which the late night shows like because they always seem to be running long.)

Meth with Eric Heywood sitting in would be sweet.

Listening to pea's Mysitc show, Beacon Soul sounds incredible and would be a nice choice. But they'd have to bleep out "shit."

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

Meth!

or Underground Dream...

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I love Beacon Soul in that setting. But the time for Meth is at hand, methinks. Its an epidemic. It ruins peoples lives. That one guy in the news died. My babysitter's sister just got busted for crystal meth, no shit.

It would show what an awesome songwrite Jay is. And the solo work just rips your heart out. Chris can pull it off.

Well off to Chicago in the am. Dreams of SV at the Vic in my head.

Unhurried Ways

Post by Unhurried Ways »

The goal of playing on these shows is to attract new fans.
I'd go with Circadian - it's a good, easily accessible song that doesn't sound like other bands and is lyrically interesting.