Recap: SV @ the Vic 4/10/07

calexico

Post by calexico »

highlandcreek wrote:
calexico wrote:
highlandcreek wrote:
megaballs1 wrote:With respect to Indiana's FarrarFan#1, I'm ready for the day we don't hear Windfall and Tear at each show...Its WIERD seeing 48 year old white guys screaming at the opening of those two, totally losing it ...Hey dork yold guys, settle down.... and learn the new music! Your creepin' me out!
I hope I never get too old to get excited about music. Or old enough to care that young'uns are lookin' at me all weird and shit.

You're WIERD.
I'm also WEIRD.
I bet you are a 48 year old white guy too.

highlandcreek

Post by highlandcreek »

dcarter wrote:
highlandcreek wrote:
megaballs1 wrote:With respect to Indiana's FarrarFan#1, I'm ready for the day we don't hear Windfall and Tear at each show...Its WIERD seeing 48 year old white guys screaming at the opening of those two, totally losing it ...Hey dork yold guys, settle down.... and learn the new music! Your creepin' me out!
I hope I never get too old to get excited about music. Or old enough to care that young'uns are lookin' at me all weird and shit.
Dork yold were a great band. I miss those dork yold guys ... :cry:
I think Dork Yold is in Yngwie's band now.

highlandcreek

Post by highlandcreek »

calexico wrote:
highlandcreek wrote:

You're WIERD.
I'm also WEIRD.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

highlandcreek wrote:
Dork yold were a great band. I miss those dork yold guys ... :cry:

calexico

Post by calexico »

highlandcreek wrote:

You're WIERD.

highlandcreek

Post by highlandcreek »

Lord Filthy Von Blumpkin

Post by Lord Filthy Von Blumpkin »

Blimps Go 90 wrote:I am listening to this right now
If anyone is capable of making this available to the masses and willing to do so, that would be excellent and highly appreciated. I don't know the etiquette and protocol on this sort of thing, but I'm assuming that the band et al are ok with it since folks are talking openly, yet cryptically, about listening to this show.

Thanks.

Or not?

:?:

calexico

Re: Olive Oyl legs

Post by calexico »

gdavis5446 wrote:
hollywood44 wrote:Nothing to add vis a vis show content, but there was indeed some good crowd watching, to wit:

Some dude seated next to my location was wearing super super skinny peg leg jeans to match his super super skinny legs. I always find that odd, but whatever...I guess that's the hipster look du jour. The funny part was that he was wearing Chuck Taylors that had to be size 13 or so. I wear 12s, and his feet looked bigger. A conversation ensues: how in the hell can this guy get his feet through those jeans, much less the rest of his lower half?

A girl that was part of my group leans over to him and says, "Can I ask you something? How do you get those jeans on?"

His response: "Don't talk to me," as he turned back to watch the show intently and without any indication of any emotion lurking within.

Super bizarre, and super funny.
Skinny jeans? What's the story with them? I don't need my jeans any tighter than 501. I still want to be able to procreate.
No foot comments? Must resist....

Blimps Go 90

Post by Blimps Go 90 »

I am listening to this right now and I gotta say Bravo to Jay for messing around with arrangemnts and stretching out. It is very refreshing to these ears. I have seen Son Volt quite a few time going back to Trace era and loved every minute of all those shows but the one gripe that I had was they.....dare I say were almost to tight. What I mean was that the song/moments were spot on and beautiful but I like my show experiance to reflect a little different side of the songs. I love the experimentation and transformation of a slowed down song into a rocker or vise versa. Like for instance I can't count how many different versions of Passenger Side I've heard....from punk to polka I reckon. On the Wide Swing tour stop in Milwaukee they were note for note dead on and I loved the show....Chickamauga made my roomates ears bleed.....not shitting ya either...actually bled...which was redemtion cause he never was a Farrar fan but he was converted that night. But I digress...I have the cds at home and I have a few shows on analog of this period that I didn't want to feel like you could just put a boombox on stage and play the record.
Thats why I was excited for Farrar to go it alone and excited to see him solo to get a differnt perspective and excited to see a new Volt too. Listening to this show has made me...1.) pissed I didn't make the trip...but 2.) extreamly happy that when I do get to a show......insert prayer for Summerfest stop.....I don't know what to expect. And the best part is that it is all still there. I don't go to a Son Volt show to see Jay pulling Bob Pollard stunts on stage...though these two need to get together that would be my cream dream...the only two guys I hang on every word for and obsess way to much over...I go to listen and the words are still up front and beautiful as ever.

just my Image

gdavis5446

Re: Olive Oyl legs

Post by gdavis5446 »

hollywood44 wrote:Nothing to add vis a vis show content, but there was indeed some good crowd watching, to wit:

Some dude seated next to my location was wearing super super skinny peg leg jeans to match his super super skinny legs. I always find that odd, but whatever...I guess that's the hipster look du jour. The funny part was that he was wearing Chuck Taylors that had to be size 13 or so. I wear 12s, and his feet looked bigger. A conversation ensues: how in the hell can this guy get his feet through those jeans, much less the rest of his lower half?

A girl that was part of my group leans over to him and says, "Can I ask you something? How do you get those jeans on?"

His response: "Don't talk to me," as he turned back to watch the show intently and without any indication of any emotion lurking within.

Skinny jeans? What's the story with them? I don't need my jeans any tighter than 501. I still want to be able to procreate.

killerwolf

Post by killerwolf »

I was at the Vic show as well. A few observations:
- My brother noted (his first Volt show) "Man Jay looks like he's been livin' on Medication"..he did look a little road weary/under the weather but seemed to be having fun.
- That candy red Gretsch guitar Jay plays just gives me a hard on. He wants to SHRED so bad, did a pretty decent job of playing lead when he just let it rip.
- Masterson has got to GO. He too fucking ugly for one thing. Plus he plays guitar like my little sister. His guitar was never in tune and he just seemed out of place. Jay, listen to me man, I can definitely play better than that guy!
I'm ready whenever you want to give me the call.
- I was a little disappointed that there were no songs from Straightways or Wide Swing Tremelo. I'd just die to hear them pull out "Hangin' Blue Side" or "Left a Slide" or "No More Parades".
- "Route" will never sound stale or get old. That song is just a CLASSIC in every sense of the word. Pillars of inspiration have not fallen down.
- I couldnt hear the keys at all either. But Duplantis and Bryson are an awesome rhythm section and they always seem to be having fun.
- All in all a fun night, Jet Pilot was great as always, Id give it overall a B- I've seen them play much better and tighter before. If Chris Frame was back with them, it would've at least been an A-.

hollywood44

Olive Oyl legs

Post by hollywood44 »

Nothing to add vis a vis show content, but there was indeed some good crowd watching, to wit:

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

countryfeedback wrote:Curious to know if the reason we didnt hear Bitch was due to the earlier horn player blunder on "The Picture?" Jay (always the perfectionist) may have taken the guy out back after the encore and gotten all Tony Soprano on him.

Here's the Megaballs report on the Vic show.
Twice the capacity of LA venue was three times the crowd...packed with Jayfer -lovin, Windy city fans-yes I caught the Cubs!-whatever, it was a Tuesday nite and Jay was playing to a HOME crowd.
Actually talked w/ Masterson B4 the show, he was in line getting a friend a ticket, me too...nice guy. A bit pasty and paying mantis-like with hair? but to each his own and he's got a GREAT gig...and I don't so...he said they had trouble traveling with the weather. Jay seemed to be suffering a bit from sniffles and possibly Sudafed-ed up, got sloppy on a couple of tunes and struggled a bit a ll nite with vocals...but he's a pro thru and thru, never missed a beat. Jay smiled several times during the show and actually intoduced a band member- Chris M! I think he's trying to bring out more out of Chris M...giving him more opportunity to jam rather tha stick to Rice's leadwork(Meth) or just unplug(Medication)...Jay's letting both Chris and Derry stay on stage for EVERY song and I don't think that's necessary with a HELLUVA power trio of Jay, Dave and Duplantis...but it helps make them feel part of the band rather than just hired help...thats my guess.

Dave's drumming just stands out...I took three non-believers , one a drummer, another a guitarist...both ribbing me on country, I'm going soft w/SV, no one's gonna show when we had 500 at 30 minutes before the show..."I like Wilco more"...shit like that. After the show, no one said nothing. They were impressed...right before they came on, a guy's talkin about seeing the Who last month...I just said we're better than the Who, prompting gasps all around. Jay made his case.Converts were made.

Love to see Jay close his shows with his own music...I felt closing w/ Bitch was awkward in LA.

This rent a horn section's gotta stop. They fucked up The Picture...actually abbreviated start on pause in the middle and didn't kick it up a notch at the end...No Bitch for them...I'm ready to move on with Picture. I really hope they go with ANYTHING else at the Letterman gig.

With respect to Indiana's FarrarFan#1, I'm ready for the day we don't hear Windfall and Tear at each show...Its WIERD seeing 48 year old white guys screaming at the opening of those two, totally losing it ...Hey dork yold guys, settle down.... and learn the new music! Your creepin' me out!

Frisky77

Post by Frisky77 »

"Pyscho Killer"

Played by Jason Isbell and his band during the opening set.

As a big Son Volt and Drive By Trucker fan...I enjoyed the evening very much.

Interesting to note...Isbell is no longer with the Truckers as of about four days ago. Was wondering if he'd say something about it since I'm sure word hasn't gotten all the way out yet.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

What Heads cover?