Irving Plaza 4/18 Setlist?

marahstafarian

Post by marahstafarian »

RE: Masterson

I couldn't disagree more with criticism. Most of the band members in Son Volt 2.1 are rather rigid players. Not uninspired by any means, but rather even and unexcitable. They tend to follow Jay's lead when it comes to body language.

But here's Masterson knocking down those walls, playing electric guitar like his heros likely did. I don't care whether he looks the part, or where's tight jeans or has bad hair. He's fun to watch play, and in my opinion, he's a damn good player too. Bottom line - I preferred the Irving Plaza show to any I saw on the Okemah tour. A lot of that is the songs, sure, but a significant part is that I much prefer Masterson to Frame.

RE: Voodoo Candle

This is why reworking songs can work. I always thought this song to be a bit of a forced single on Sepastapol, but this version really brings out the songwriting. It has become a palpably intense rock song.

RE: Life Worth Living

This is why reworking songs doesn't always work. I just don't like the way it sounds. Here's a desperate, urgent folk song about despair and desolation, and while I agree that can be a common theme in reggae music, I just don't don't find the new arrangement pleasing to my ears.

All in all though, a great show. Best I've seen since Son Volt 1.0. Can't wait for Philadelphia and Baltimore. I'm pretty blessed to be able to see these guys three times in three months with three different openers. Of course, it's going to be mighty tough for any of 'em to top Jason.

Jesse

grainpulp

Post by grainpulp »

Hey guys...

It was almost a week ago, but I just thought I'd pop in to add that I was there and the show kicked ass!
I was right up front and everything sounded great.
The one two punch of Jason Isbell and Son Volt was unreal. Jason Isbell was probably the best opener I have ever seen. I love the Drive-By Truckers but I think it's a good thing that Isbell left. He has something else he wants to do. He put so much energy and passion into his set. Definitely got the crowd amped.
Then Son Volt came out and totally brought the power. I have to say... Masterson bothers me. He overplays. No subtlety. He really overemphasizes his solos. I think that's the result of him being kinda new at the whole rock tour thing. Maybe I'm wrong. He seemed very nervous at the opening of the set, but he gradually calmed down. I think Masterson does more damage than he does good. Thankfully, he calmed down a bit. Maybe New York is kinda intimidating. Methamphetamine was the moment where I think the whole band found their groove and the show elevated to the next level. After this song Masterson clamed down. Although, also after this song Jay was taking more solos (Voodoo Candle, harp on Damn Shame, Medication). After that there was a string of totally killer tunes. Most especially the reworked Voodoo Candle. Which, as everyone has been saying... KICKS ASS!!! Three extended solo breaks from Jay... gave him the opportunity to show Masterson how its done. Jay kicked ass all night. Seriously.
Life Worth Living was INCREDIBLE!!! The reggae totally fits it... kinda creates this ominous drone atmosphere. Amazing.
Chickamauga was obviously the perfect end to the evening.
As I said... Jay is really kicking ass.
Great concert.

festusgooch

Post by festusgooch »

Thanks for the setlist, I agree pretty much with most folks. Vocals were a bit buried (at least from the balcony) and I didn't pick up much of Andrew's vocals. Otherwise sound was good. Seemed like they needed to warm up a bit.

Most happy to see Medicine Hat, for sure. Exurbia was darn fun, love to hear that again live. Great time.

I'm curious as well about the video, perhaps another live DVD is in the works. Thanks again,

cailin

Set List

Post by cailin »

burbman wrote:Also, you'll never see Jay or the band drink anything but water on stage. I don't know if he's a big partier off stage, but you'll never see these guys perform all whacked out because the music is too important for that. (Personally, I like tro have a few beers when I listen.)
Eh, not that it matters ... Derry was drinking Amstel Light and Jay's water bottle contained something other than water.

Excellent recap, Antelope. I agree that Medicine Hat was definitely a highlight. Also agree about the vocals being somewhat buried. In fact, I couldn't hear Andrew at all. Damn shame.

I'm not a DBT fan and I didn't expect to like Jason Isbell but I thought he was quite good.

Great show! Here's the setlist:

Automatic
Satellite
The Search
Circadian
The Picture
Underground
Beacon Soul
Highways & Cigs
Jet Pilot
Who
Exurbia
Meth
Damn Shame
Voodoo Candle
Medication
Medicine Hat
Tear Stained Eye
Action
Bandages & Scars
Afterglow 61

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

Fantastic show last night. Irving Plaza has been rebranded The Fillmore at Irving Plaza - taken over by the San Francisco Fillmore folks. Show was a sell out which is nice to see. And I notice more and more women at Son Volt shows every time. Crowd was into the show.

I liked Isbell. He seemed to have a bunch of fans there singing along to songs.

Don't remember the exact setlist but no surprises from what's been played on this tour. They opened with Automatic, Satellite, The Search (nice hard rock open to the show) and played Circadian, Beacon Soul, Highways & Cigs, Underground Dream and The Picture all towards the beginning of the show. The horn section that played on Letterman with them came out for The Picture - the crowd was bouncing around to that one.

They also played Exurbia, Meth and Action from the new record. Jet Pilot, Who, Bandages & Scars, Medication and Afterglow 61 from Okemah. Medicine Hat was a highlight. Drown, Tear Stained Eye and Windfall from Trace. Windfall was the first encore and the horn section played on it - it sounded great actually with the horns. The new rock version of Voodoo Candle was in there. Reggae version of Life Worth Livin' kicked ass. Chickamauga to close the show. I probably missed something in there.

Exurbia sounded great live - it's a nice little b-side song but it really came alive and a nice guitar solo at the end. Meth sounded fantastic. Okemah songs sound great.

I like Masterson's playing. I liked him better as the show went along. He has an odd rock star look, but I like his playing. I like Walbourne better though I think.

To answer some questions, Jay looks like that at every show. It's just the way he looks on stage, just his demeanor. I think he clearly enjoys playing live and gives it everything he has, just not in the way you might expect a lead singer of a rock band to look. I don't think he has a rock star move in his body and is a generally quiet guy. To some extent the band takes on his meat and potatoes demeanor and they just rock out a tight, professional set. But there's energy up there too. Duplantis brings a lot of energy. I think Jay has an intensity to his playing that comes across.

His vocals are often somewhat buried in the mix like that the last couple of years on the loud Son Volt shows. I know the songs so well I hardly notice and didn't notice anything last night. But Isbell's vocals were clearer.

As far as Jay's reactions toward Masterson: I'm not a mind reader but I don't think he was looking at him with disdain or anything. He just had his normal facial expressions to me. Masterson moved in close to Jay a few times in a rock guitarist kind of way and Jay looks at him when he does it, but he doesn't look pissed or anything to me.

First time I've used the word disdain on this board. I like it.

burbman

Post by burbman »

Seeing them last nite brought back memories of the first time I saw Son Volt, right after their first album Trace was released, just about 10 yrs ago at Irving Plaza. Last night was my 5th time seeing the Jay and company, and I have concluded that he always looks like that.

I get the impression that he's not so much angry as he is serious about the music. Watching Jay perform I get the feeling that the music really matters to him and every word in every lyric is carfully chosen for meaning and carefully sung to lend just the right connotation. He's not really a fool-around kind of guy. If anything, that's the most I've ever heard him actually say to the audience outside of singing.

Also, you'll never see Jay or the band drink anything but water on stage. I don't know if he's a big partier off stage, but you'll never see these guys perform all whacked out because the music is too important for that. (Personally, I like tro have a few beers when I listen.)

I'm also trying to recall the setlist, I remember the Picture out of the way early. Methamphetamine, Highways and Cigarettes, and Underground dream were also early in the set list. As part of the encore, he broght the brass back on for Windfall, and it sounded excellent! He also did Tear Stained Eye from Trace.

Highwater61

Post by Highwater61 »

Just my observation here, but does it seem that Jay is a bit curious about Masterson as the new guitarist? I've read previous posts and even in the recent videos that are posted on this site there are times that Jay kind of looks over at Masterson and it seems like he's not pleased. I could be totally off on this one.

Jordanbeck

Post by Jordanbeck »

I was at Irving Plaza last night. Although I basically enjoyed the show--the band was tight and most of the songs are great, I have 2 questions for the more experienced fans (this was my second Son Volt show--the first was the freebie at the South Street Seaport a couple of years ago).

First--did it seem that Jay was angry about something, or is that the way he always is on stage? I find that I have trouble enjoying a band if the band doesn't seem to be enjoying itself.

Second-is Jay's voice always so buried in the mix? I think that his voice is one of the best things about the band, but could barely hear it. And I can't blame the venue, because I could hear Jason Isbell's voice over his (also great) band.

I felt that these 2 issues turned what could have been a great show into just a good one.

JerseyRich

Post by JerseyRich »

I'm sure the setlist will come along shortly...

Does anyone know why it was being video recorded? It said on the doors on the way in that it was being recorded for Live nation, which I know is the promotion company...But is it possible it will be released to the public?

festusgooch

Irving Plaza 4/18 Setlist?

Post by festusgooch »

Decent show, haven't spotted any setlists yet and my mind goes blank in terms of order after the first couple songs. Cheers-

fg