Me: Man, that show was AWESOME!
Jay: Um, you need some vicodine.
Me: What?
Jay: Um <He doesn't understand my songs>

Later:
Me: Hey Dave!
Dave: Hey my man.
Me: Dude, awesome show!
Dave: I like shopping. Tokyo's a great spot for shopping. No more cigarettes for you.

Even later:
Me: Hey Andrew!
Andrew: Hey Marius.
Me: That's so cool that you're playing tonight!
Andrew: <I need a smoke, a fat smoke> Yea, cool...

Way later:
Me: Hey Derry!
Derry: Hey man, how's it going?
Me: AWESOME!!!

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

dEvRoNiKa wrote:
ShuckOwens wrote:I think Dev's nose might make TP unnecessary for Jayfers.

what the hell?
Dev, are you taking Sheryl Crow's idea and running with it to get close to Jayfers?

dEvRoNiKa

Post by dEvRoNiKa »

ShuckOwens wrote:I think Dev's nose might make TP unnecessary for Jayfers.

what the hell?

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I gave him time, and $$$. I had my boys listen....Its not like that...

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

megaballs, did you ever stop to think the bum playing 'Heart of Gold' might have something interesting to say? he would probably give you more than a brief minute of his time.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Gotta figure with an introvspective personality, lets say, coupled with John Lennon, the fact that Jay fans love him more than most, the fear that someone's handshake might hurt his fingers, the generally creepy feeling he must get walking around with all eyes on him ...can't say we should expect much more than us telling him what WE want to say and him dreading the whole encounter...as infected as I am, with my life and now family becoming a daily Jay CD, DVD soundtrack....the last two days I asked a DJ at a preschool event if he had any Farrar or Sonvolt("who?") and yesterday outside Cantor's deli in LA...a bum-looking guy with a beat-up acoustic and a harmonic w/holder...made a point to ask him and settled for Heart of Gold...Yeah, I'd dig a brief minute with Jay...

highlandcreek

Post by highlandcreek »

Still Be Around wrote:The art guy and I got to meet the guys after the show the other night too and it was very cool. Nice to chat with them a little and shake Jay's hand. I do have to say though that it was a pretty wimpy handshake......
I forced myself on him on the street before a show in Santa Cruz a couple of years ago, and he seemed reluctant to shake my hand. But he did. It was a bit on the wimpy side. Whatever. Glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

good post sturg.

i would have to tell anyone that has not met jay not to expect much, if anything, when you get the chance to meet him. at the gob iron show in carrborro i saw anders and jay together, did not even try to approach, just said that i was looking forward to the show and jayfers high tailed it. after the show i crossed paths w/ jay and asked if the search was coming out in march and he said "yeah" and just kept walking.

don't get me wrong, this is not a jay is an asshole post. i knew that's the way he was before i saw him. it is probably just better to take sturgeon's approach.

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

I think Dev's nose might make TP unnecessary for Jayfers.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

How many squares does Jay use?

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

It seems our society places so much emphasis on celebrity and musicians, athletes, actors, etc. are elevated for reasons they probably do not deserve. We assume they must be extremely insightful and wise and "know something" that we do not. I love music as much as the next person on this board but I try not to elevate these people even if I do appreciate their art and talent. However, I certainly do not look to them to provide me with any insight or revelations. One way that I "demystified" my perceptions of musicians that I really enjoy was by taking guitar lessons and doing my own thing such as creative writing and writing my own tunes. Granted, I am not nearly as talented as some of these people, however, I realized that a guitar is simply some wood, glue and some strings and makes for a great hobby. I always recommend to friends and people I meet at shows to do the same thing. Learn a few chords, download some lyrics, and learn some songs. It will help take some of the mystery out of the process and at the same reaffirm your appreciation for the talent and perseverance required of someone such as Jay or Tweedy to make music their livelihood.

Still Be Around

Post by Still Be Around »

The art guy and I got to meet the guys after the show the other night too and it was very cool. Nice to chat with them a little and shake Jay's hand. I do have to say though that it was a pretty wimpy handshake......

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

I really don't want to meet most of the artists that I really like, for fear of disappointment.

One of my best friends, a drummer, idolized Joey Kramer from Aerosmith and finally got a chance to meet him....

Joey Kramer was a major asshole and blew the dudes whole image of him.

The one exception I would make might be Eddie Vedder, cause I think he would be a guy who you could hang out and have a few drinks with, listen to some old shit on vinyl, and just have a casual conversation....

I don't think I could do that with Jay or Neil...

burbman

Post by burbman »

LOL! I think you're probably right!

Rob73

Post by Rob73 »

:lol: I got the "Uh thanks" response when I met him before the show in front of the Pageant and said that I was looking forward to the show.