Popularity / concert ticket sales

dcarter

Re: Popularity / concert ticket sales

Post by dcarter »

highlandcreek wrote:
Mule wrote:I have to wonder if Wilco's testing the open air pavilion-sized venues to see if the demand is there or if they've crossed into the mainstream to that extent...
Wilco have headlined a New Years Eve show at Madison Square Garden. I'm guessing they are ready to take on Columbia.
And what a show it was! 7th row for Sleater-Kinney then The Flaming Lips followed by Wilco. One of the top 5 shows I've seen. Also Wilco mix it up on the road. In Oct. of '05, I saw them in Asheville at the Thomas Wolfe Theatre, a center for the performing arts sized venue. In March of '06, I saw them in Tallahassee at The Moon, which is basically a bar. In June, I'll see them in Atlanta at Chastain Park, an outdoor ampitheatre.

highlandcreek

Re: Popularity / concert ticket sales

Post by highlandcreek »

Mule wrote:I have to wonder if Wilco's testing the open air pavilion-sized venues to see if the demand is there or if they've crossed into the mainstream to that extent...
Wilco have headlined a New Years Eve show at Madison Square Garden. I'm guessing they are ready to take on Columbia.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

from that guaranteed $10k minimum(if true), it would appear the wardrobe expense is minimal. Do you think Jay also keeps a running road tab and deducts the mini-mart peanuts, orange crushes, and the hamburger(cash back heart attack you want fries with that) lunches bought while traveling?

the Watcher

Post by the Watcher »

I wouldn't lose sleep worrying about JF's finances - or anyone else's for that matter.

Neverwonagrammy explained the 'biz' some time ago in this very forum, and at that time claimed that Jay Farrar gets a guaranteed $10k per show. Obviously there are expenses and salaries that come out of that figure, but that van travel, 5 show a week schedule that SV keeps surely minimizes costs.

Now, go to the tour page. Count the number of shows. Assuming neverwonagrammy is correct, or even in the ballpark, Mr. Farrar is probably doing just fine. And I doubt that he spends much time counting Tweedy's money.

naugrad

Post by naugrad »

camaroheadus wrote:ya know, even if the other guys in son volt aren't getting rich, they are still doing what they love.
How many of us can say we are doing what we love? My hunch is not many. Working in a "real" job is very over-rated.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

ya know, even if the other guys in son volt aren't getting rich, they are still doing what they love. i mean how many musicians really try to make it and never get heard out outside of their local areas? these guys get to tour the country, play in front of bigger crowds than they would individually, get their name out there (see brad rice) and probably make enough money to be comfortable for now.

i wonder if jay would even want to play a pavilion. he has said himself that commercial sucess is not one of his goals.

Mule

Popularity / concert ticket sales

Post by Mule »

I know that Wilco subject matter is somewhat frowned upon on this board, but all the same, I found myself kinda marvelling at the fact that Wilco's managed to reach a wide enough audience to apparently warrant booking the Merriweather Post-Pavilion in Columbia, MD. And at the same time Son Volt's not yet sold out the 9:30 club for a May 18th gig. I have to wonder if Wilco's testing the open air pavilion-sized venues to see if the demand is there or if they've crossed into the mainstream to that extent...if so, good for them, but I feel bad that Jay's still struggling to fill the mid-sized clubs. That sucks...and since I read on here that they're playing a really small place in Houston??? I wonder what the take home net from a place like the small place is and I wonder if the guys in the band are making enough to live comfortably...Finally, I bet John thanks his lucky stars everyday that Jeff doesn't fire the last remnant of days gone by.