I got this from the Wilco board, thoughts

slushy

Post by slushy »

Good Save My friend

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Well whatever it started as we can bring it to Jay right now. He said that TB was inspired by TTN and Revolver. Now, I can definately the TTN influence. Listen to Albuquerqe and All of Your Might back to back. And of course it opens and closes with the same song. It also has a few songs about the death of a loved one, and that feeling is conveyed throughout much of the album.

slushy

Post by slushy »

Yeah, Tonights the night is a Good record To listen to when it is just you alone in a dark room. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you warm up, it shines like aflickering star. Lol, What was the post about again?

freeuntilcaught

Post by freeuntilcaught »

Here's to one of the greatest records of all time: Tonight's the Night

I just saw Neil and Crazy Horse doin Greendale the other night. I was pleasantly suprised. I thought the actors wandering onstage weaving in and out between Neil and Crazy Horse would trip on the cords, but in the end it was Neil who tripped on his guitar strap on the way off the stage after bowing to a standing o. A less than graceful exit for such a virtuoso.

slushy

Post by slushy »

O yeah, I agree Totally. In my Humble opinion, Neil Young is one of the greatest musicians of our time, And the cool Thing is that he is willing to take some chances. As a result of that we have Some Really great records (Gold Rush, Harvest, Ragged Glory, Silver and Gold) and Some Pretty Bad Ones. But One Thing is for sure, No matter how good or bad neil is on his last record I will purchase the next one without even listening to it beforehand simply because it is neil. the same goes with Wilco or Jay.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Yeah I missed it to, but that doesn't mean I don't like LOW! Actually, if you ever heard a live Crazy Horse version of Touch the Night, you'll know what I'm talkin' about. Some of the songs are there, but of course, we know what the finished result is like.
And I like Everybody's Rockin', its just funny even if he didn't intend it that way. I'd say I can't really wrap myself completely around Old Ways and Life, those two just ain't that great. That and American Dream, ugh. Fo course, I'm being negaive here, there are 35 other albums that can't be beat.

slushy

Post by slushy »

Ha Ha. Come To Think of it , Neil has had quite a few bad albums. It is a wonder that he has any fans left at all. Landing on water was a pretty bad record, Life was pretty awful, But In my book Everybody's rockin is perhaps the absolute worst. Fortunatly I didn't start listening to him until Ragged Glory, so i missed out on that era.

Godsownsinger

Post by Godsownsinger »

AYP is not his best, but I liked it. Check out "Landing On water" , then youll see how "bad" Neil can get. :wink:

slushy

Post by slushy »

Yeah, I agree With You Keith. I am still trying to ignore the fact that that album exists. That was a bad mark on the man's career, Although he has redeemed himself somewhat with Greendale. Well in my opinion at least.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Top Ten hit no, but Are You Passionate? debuted at no. 4, though I have no idea why, worst album he's put out in a decade. Then again, better than 95% of the rest of the billboard top 40 that week. but I digress, your point was well taken.

slushy

Post by slushy »

Yeah, I Agree With Hank snow. I really Do wish the best for the Jay and Jeff, That they would enjoy success in their musical careers, but on the other hand they are music's best kept secret that everyone knows about and i don't see them ever really going beyond cult status. I would wager that Jay and Jeff Will Always have an audience of some sort, Somewhat like Neil Young ( When Was The Last time he had a Top Ten Hit, Yet He has a large and devoted fan base.)

Hank Snow

popularity/record sales/quality

Post by Hank Snow »

The times are very different now, than in the 60s or 70s. The great majority of popular music today has nothing to do with art or talent, it is just dollars and cents. It is marketing and gimmicktry and dancing and videos. It usually seems that the more records a band sells the less talent that they have. Look at the biggest sellers of last year, 50Cent, J-Lo, Justin, etc. All crap, marketed to teens, it doesn't matter if it lasts or has any meaning.

The truly gifted artists and songwriters don't appeal to the mass market, the lowest common denominators, so even though they are brilliant, and always get rave reviews and all that, they seel very few records in comparison.

The Beatles on the other hand, were the best of both worlds. 3 of the greatest songwriters on earth (John, Paul and the incredible late George), immensely talented and creative, and at the same time incredibly popular. It was just the times, they were the first to break through. Like someone said, similar to Nirvana in '91. Led Zeppelin was another anomoly. Incredible sales AND incredible talent. That just doesn't happen any more.

Even though I wish Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy and the like great success, sometimes I feel it is better that they are not huge. I wouldn't be able to stand 2 feet away from the stage and listen to my favorite songs during a show. It's kind of like we have this great secret, and we DONT WANT everyone else in the world to catch on.

Anyway, just blabbing.

cowboydown

You need to register just to view?

Post by cowboydown »

Hmm. Thanks. You need to register just to view eh? Non-sense. One hell of an ugly monster too. No wonder all the wilco blather ends up over here at JAY FARRAR.NET. Least this ones an open-source bulletin board package. Guess I'll stop complaining about this phpBB badboy :wink: Could be worse....
Last edited by cowboydown on Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Primitive

Post by Uncle Primitive »

cowboydown

wtf over?

Post by cowboydown »

Wilco has a board?