Son Volt reunion album: Producer/Engineer?

Choose a SV reunion album Producer/Engineer?

Brian Paulson
31%
Brad Wood
8%
Brian Deck
No votes
Doug Easley
No votes
Bob Weston
No votes
JD Foster
No votes
Sean Slade/Paul Kolderie
No votes
Bob Weston
No votes
Steve Albini
23%
Jim O'Rouke
8%
Danny Kadar
No votes
John Agnello
8%
Ryan Hadlock
No votes
Jay Farrar
8%
other (name)
15%

Total votes: 13

ChiDavid78

Post by ChiDavid78 »

I would actually pick someone like Mike Clink or Jack Douglas. Clink was great with some rock albums and I think he would bring that side of SV out very well.

Hank Snow

eno

Post by Hank Snow »

yeah I agree that Eno/Farrar would never work just cause of the vastly different styles, but it would be neat to see what would happen combining such a brilliant songwriter and musician with a brilliant producer/engineer/creative genius. It would be weird to say the least.

I think Rubin would work, just judging strictly by his work with Cash, he just seemed to bring things out in that music that was really mind blowing. Was it just cause it was Johnny or cause Rubin pulled it out of him? Would he be able to bring something out in Son Volt that wasn't there before?

And, as great as Paulson has been ith Jayhawks and Beck and Wilco and Smog and Son Volt and UT, would he just do what they have already done before, without bringing something new to the mix? Maybe, maybe not.

Just some thoughts. It is very exciting thinking of the prospects of new music from those guys together.

cowboydown

producer/engr's part deux

Post by cowboydown »

I think doing it themselves (whoever "them" turns out to be in the case of a reuniting SV -- get the feeling a line up change might occur -- would defeat the most useful aspect of bringing in a producer/engr, and that's the different perspective from the core's creative process (and maybe adding some instrumental bits themselves). I also think that there was a reason Son Volt AND Wilco both chose Paulson for they're debut's. That it was the dynamic/chemistry he brought to the mix. Look what he did with Anodyne.

I listed Prod/Engr's that I thought have stunning history's as well as "co-operative creative processes" (a.k.a selfless egos); of course I don't know any of them personally or have ever worked with any them so, I'm *assuming* all of this based on articles and projects they've been involved with.

The vote's for other producers here like Neil Young (this would be a trip!) and T-Bone Burnett (if Jay wanted a bluegrass injection) being the most interesting so far would be an interesting match for Jay. But Ruben and Eno I don't think would fly. I sense some creative differences there. And the songs might never see the light of day if you don't agree when cutting tracks. Dunno...

If the reunion goes off, I don't think Jay would want to handle the whole thing himself (maybe a song or two to help guide the direction). Kinda defeats the purpose of the band thing. Besides he's already reaping the benefit of doing it himself in his solo works (as are we).

Bringing on/in a producer and engineer is an emotional, and I'd imagine exhaustive process; one that the artist has to be 100% comfortable in working with from start to finish. I'm anxcious to see who that will be if all this goes down. Either way, it's going to be great....

Keep the suggestions coming. (Just say NO to Don Was :evil: )

Hank Snow

Rick Rubin is awesome

Post by Hank Snow »

If they didn't do it themselves, then I agree with the Rick Rubin option. He is one of the top producer out there, and so incredibly diverse in who he works with. Johnny Cash's amazing last 10 years, Chili Peppers, Mars Volta, RATM, and on and on. He is amazing.

Imagine a Brian Eno and Jay Farrar project, that could have some potential!!

flip

Post by flip »

Rick Rubin.

Godsownsinger

Post by Godsownsinger »

George Martin (beatles fame)!

Neil Young would be sweet too! 8)

Bigb

Post by Bigb »

I voted for Brian Paulson but I wouldn't mind someone like T-Bone Burnett. He's had a great deal of success as of late!

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Neil Young. Ha! I CAN dream. The last time Neil tried to just produce a record (Crazy Horse w/out him) it turned into a NY&CH record. So I'm hopin for the debut Neil Young with Son Volt album.

m.truslow

Son Volt Reunion Producer

Post by m.truslow »

Hell, let Jay do it himself............Mark T.

loosestring

Post by loosestring »

albini all the way!!! :lol:

cowboydown

Son Volt reunion album: Producer/Engineer?

Post by cowboydown »

Who would you like to see Producer/Engineer the reunion album (if it happens)?