Driving the View - World Cafe

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits. In order to buck the trend, I am swearing on the board.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

bigdaddy, after carefully weighing the closing arguments and based on the evidence presented in previous posts i tend to be persuaded by your analysis. so, you have my vote. all in favor say 'aye'. by the way, i am swearing off the board also(until my next post anyway).

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

bigdaddy wrote:
TinyElvis wrote:
bigdaddy wrote:Do you really think it's everyone else?
No, I don't... just a vocal minority and people like you who seem to make inferences in my postings that aren't there or are simply determined to get offended, angry, or upset.
There's the "who, me?" i was talking about. People must just be making the wrong inferences, right? It couldn't that everyone gets exactly what you're saying and that you're an ass?

You're transparent, TinyE, and you're not fooling anybody.
It's a good thing that I am not trying to fool anybody then.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

TinyElvis wrote:
No, I don't... just a vocal minority and people like you who seem to make inferences in my postings that aren't there or are simply determined to get offended, angry, or upset.
There's the "who, me?" i was talking about. People must just be making the wrong inferences, right? It couldn't that everyone gets exactly what you're saying and that you're an ass?

You're transparent, TinyE, and you're not fooling anybody.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

bigdaddy wrote:Although i've sworn off the board, i had to come back for to respond to this thread.

TinyE, regardless of what it is you're saying, and i don't disagree with all of it, there is no doubt that you are a classic passive-aggressive antagonist who clearly revels in every minute of it. You're also very good at it. But to act all innocent and "who, me?" for the shit-storms you create is bullshit. You love it and you know exactly what you're doing - you love the attention.

I'll admit i can't stand you and i've never even met you. And don't confuse my dislike for you with disagreement over the content of what it is you're saying. It's the way you say it and the way you are that garners so much disdain, in cyberspace anyway.

Do you really think it's everyone else?
Don't swear off the board...too many people do that around here.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Although i've sworn off the board, i had to come back for to respond to this thread.

TinyE, regardless of what it is you're saying, and i don't disagree with all of it, there is no doubt that you are a classic passive-aggressive antagonist who clearly revels in every minute of it. You're also very good at it. But to act all innocent and "who, me?" for the shit-storms you create is bullshit. You love it and you know exactly what you're doing - you love the attention.

I'll admit i can't stand you and i've never even met you. And don't confuse my dislike for you with disagreement over the content of what it is you're saying. It's the way you say it and the way you are that garners so much disdain, in cyberspace anyway.

Do you really think it's everyone else?

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

the art guy wrote:I actually wasn't referring to your opinion on this subject, or your personal politics for that matter; rather your general troll-like nature.
Troll = someone who has a differing opinion? Wait a sec.. I thought dissention was THE thing.
the art guy wrote:But anyway, thanks for addressing my point about constructive criticism.
Which point? You want me to call Jay up? Sure. What's his number? I'll give you mine to pass on to him if you like. Just PM me.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

TragicFig wrote:Those criticizing Jay's current voice are off base. True Jay's vocals have changed slightly, but I don't believe they've changed for the worse. Jay's current voice has a slightly richer, deeper tonal quality that is perfectly suited to his music. I have always preferred the haunting, droning Jay vocals to the higher pitch stuff. No line in his entire body of work elicits greater emotion from the listener than the low slung "The Army won't want me after what this body's been through." Plus, Phosphate Skin shows he can still get it done at the higher registers if he chooses to. When it comes to vocal range and phrasing older - especially 40 - does not necessarily mean worse.
I might be totally off base...but I think the "criticism" that is getting bandied about is that his "current voice" is no longer deep and rich. So your take that it IS "slightly richer, deeper tonal quality" (now) means...I don't know, that we all hear the music differently? I hear the last two studio albums as being in a "higer" register. But when I saw and heard the band play live after Okemah, Jay's voice sounded like his "normal" deep register (especially on Damn Shame and Windfall (yes, he was in a higher register for Jet Pilot..which is how it is supposed to sound).

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Those criticizing Jay's current voice are off base. True Jay's vocals have changed slightly, but I don't believe they've changed for the worse. Jay's current voice has a slightly richer, deeper tonal quality that is perfectly suited to his music. I have always preferred the haunting, droning Jay vocals to the higher pitch stuff. No line in his entire body of work elicits greater emotion from the listener than the low slung "The Army won't want me after what this body's been through." Plus, Phosphate Skin shows he can still get it done at the higher registers if he chooses to. When it comes to vocal range and phrasing older - especially 40 - does not necessarily mean worse.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

megaballs1 wrote:I think Jay's on top of his game right now.

He's developed in every way.

He's got a bassist with energy and talent.

He's got a keyboardist that executes what Jay wants and still plays sparingly, taking a backseat often.

He asks alot of his drummer, and he's getting as good as it gets.

He's got a layered album that expands in many directions. Full of nuggets that will be viewed with awe as the years go by.

He's got a voice that speaks Americana.

I'd hate to live in the past when the present is so sweet.
datz da trooth, ruth... 8)

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

I think Jay's on top of his game right now.

He's developed in every way.

He's got a bassist with energy and talent.

He's got a keyboardist that executes what Jay wants and still plays sparingly, taking a backseat often.

He asks alot of his drummer, and he's getting as good as it gets.

He's got a layered album that expands in many directions. Full of nuggets that will be viewed with awe as the years go by.

He's got a voice that speaks Americana.

I'd hate to live in the past when the present is so sweet.

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

countryfeedback wrote:It is not my intention to antagonize any board members and certainly not to criticize Jay. I'am just stating a personal theory of mine, that may very well be way off base, but one in which may or may not have some credence. Linwood pointed out the change in vocal delivery in regards to John Fogerty, and there are countless others whose tone has changed over the years due to factors that I'am not an expert on. Aging and years of singing causing stress on the vocal chords may in fact have a lot to do with this. I think we sometimes wish our musical heroes could sound like they did when they were 21, but that indeed is not always the case.
John Fogerty's voice hasn't changed in three years, and I don't think you you mind~!

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

It is not my intention to antagonize any board members and certainly not to criticize Jay. I'am just stating a personal theory of mine, that may very well be way off base, but one in which may or may not have some credence. Linwood pointed out the change in vocal delivery in regards to John Fogerty, and there are countless others whose tone has changed over the years due to factors that I'am not an expert on. Aging and years of singing causing stress on the vocal chords may in fact have a lot to do with this. I think we sometimes wish our musical heroes could sound like they did when they were 21, but that indeed is not always the case.

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

I actually wasn't referring to your opinion on this subject, or your personal politics for that matter; rather your general troll-like nature.

But anyway, thanks for addressing my point about constructive criticism.

OK - I'm off to make dinner for teh kids. (Feeling sorry that I got sucked in again...........)