Son Volt in San Diego June 5th?

david5252

Post by david5252 »

Yes, the beer was shitty...

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

VERY intimate show. 75-100 people max. Guys strolled out around 8:45. Jay in good humor throughout - chatty even, for him anyway. Thanked everyone for coming and apologized for people having to "jump through hoops" to get tickets for the show. Made a passing reference to the giant column that blocked half the stage. After a couple of tunes he said, "We're 3/5ths of Son Volt" and introduced Chris and Andrew. Later between songs he said it was the first time he'd ever been onstage with a pair of pink boots. He was referring to the Nancy Sinatra boots that were mounted behind him. "That's ok," he said "they're Nancy Sinatra's."

Band was tight. Sound was muddy at first and Chris was tough to hear (plus I couldn't see him behind the damn pole), but evened out by the end of The Picture. Picture with harmonica. Oddly, no harmonica for Grammaphone - bummer. Short set. Enthusiastic crowd. Exurbia and Meth were highlights - they stood up best without drums and keys.

Chris hung out afterward outside the entrance to the Cafe smoking a cigarette and chatting. Very approachable.

I have no idea why this show was scheduled, but the San Diego VOLT fans got a huge treat - and FREE. Incredible.

Poster Nutbag

Post by Poster Nutbag »

Decent last night... was hoping for a gem, didn't really get it. Just the standard Windfall & Tear Stained Eye.

Met Jay briefly after the show and got a picture with him... he was not too excited to make any acquaintences, which is what I should expect. I was very happy just to get a moment with him and to let him know that I understood his music and loved it all. Met Andrew and Chris too, they were cool guys... they seemed hurried by Jay.

Nice to meet you Jeff, had fun talking all things jay with ya.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Yeah, they were nice to look at but I sure got tired of talking to them and telling them I wasn't gonna drink their shitty beer. That stuff's pretty horrid. Luckily they had the good sense to stop once the show started. :)

david5252

Post by david5252 »

Keith, you are right...Chris does rock! He brings his own style to the band that really complements the songs. And did you see the Miller Chill girls? Humina humina.....oh, and I thought this was gonna be an acoustic show? Nonetheless, great show and great guitar by Chris.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

i hope someone taped this show. it would be a good one to pass around here.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

Awesome show. Great crowd, surprisingly loud. Jay seemed to be in a good mood, though the encore seemed forced and rushed. Chris rocks, hands down. What a kickass player (despite the obvious flub during Meth). So cool. The only bummer was the huge pillar in the middle of the front of the stage that he hid behind for most of the set.

Songs played (probably a little out of order):
Satellite
Circadian Rhythm
The Picture
Underground Dream
Beacon Soul
Methamphetamine
Who
Exurbia
Highways and Cigarettes
Bandages and Scars
Afterglow 61
Windfall
-----------
Gramophone

I think with the stripped-down setup allowed for a much different band dynamic in which the players present were allowed to shine quite a bit more. Glad to have seen it.

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

countryfeedback wrote:That's going to be awesome, so we expect a full report.
yeah Keith! 8)

please...

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

This is the acoustic show with just Jay, Chris and Andrew isnt it? Iam very jealous. That's going to be awesome, so we expect a full report.

keith21

Post by keith21 »

yep, getting off work early to make it down there in time. Excited.

jspownell

Post by jspownell »

its tonight!!!!

david5252

Post by david5252 »

I just got mine at the Hard Rock Downtown and they said they had plenty. I signed up as well and did not get an email but I emailed KPRI and they told me where I could get them. It'll be a great show!

keith21

Post by keith21 »

It's billed as Jay, Chris, and Andrew acoustic, so you're in luck.

I picked up mine at Lou's this morning, though it's pretty aggrivating that I signed up and didn't get an email.

Poster Nutbag

Post by Poster Nutbag »

I just got four tickets to this last night. The Hard Rock downtown is really small, so I am kind of hoping for an acoustic type set.

Free SV tommorrow night, can't beat that!

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

What the hell? I have signed up but not received an email! Can anyone who has received the email tell me where the tix are avail? I don't live near Lou's. I live near downtown. Thanks.

Tragic