Calexico

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Damaged Son wrote:I dug back and found the infamous TMS post y'all seem to still be in a huff over.

Everyone's completely over-reacting and misreading his post, and what's strange about y'all's reaction is that the tone of his post is no different than any of his other sarcastic board contributions that you've chuckled along with in the past.

He simply pointed out that if you intend to engage one of these musicians before or after a show in a lengthy conversation beyond a simple "thank you", then crank down the drip-drop drool of your idolatry and try asking them something other than the typical rote rock-critic/rock-worship bullshit cause they hear it everyday and they're probably exhausted from the trip from the last gig or really looking forward to the 3 hours of sleep they're gonna get before driving to the next one.

The last thing he was discouraging was a simple statement of "thank you".
I sort of liked the post. I see lots of writers get the same old questions after public readings, like, "what time of day do you write?" or "how many pages a day do you write" or "do you write by hand or on a computer," and always wondered how they all manage those silly questions gracefully. One way perhaps is to bitch about it afterward! Which is fair enough if you ask me. I never go up to performers after a show; they usually play great music for very little money and don't owe me anything. From the point of view of a fan, when you talk to a performer, you're getting a rare, thrilling contact with a great talent; from the point of view of a performer, when you're talking to a fan, you get the pleasure of genuine admiration, but that's about it, and you can get enough of it, I'm sure.

Trellis

Post by Trellis »

Damaged Son wrote:I dug back and found the infamous TMS post y'all seem to still be in a huff over.

Everyone's completely over-reacting and misreading his post, and what's strange about y'all's reaction is that the tone of his post is no different than any of his other sarcastic board contributions that you've chuckled along with in the past.

He simply pointed out that if you intend to engage one of these musicians before or after a show in a lengthy conversation beyond a simple "thank you", then crank down the drip-drop drool of your idolatry and try asking them something other than the typical rote rock-critic/rock-worship bullshit cause they hear it everyday and they're probably exhausted from the trip from the last gig or really looking forward to the 3 hours of sleep they're gonna get before driving to the next one.

I sort of liked the post. I see lots of writers get the same old questions after public readings, like, "what time of day do you write?" or "how many pages a day do you write" or "do you write by hand or on a computer," and always wondered how they all manage those silly questions gracefully. One way perhaps is to bitch about it afterward! Which is fair enough if you ask me. I never go up to performers after a show; they usually play great music for very little money and don't owe me anything. From the point of view of a fan, when you talk to a performer, you're getting a rare, thrilling contact with a great talent; from the point of view of a performer, when you're talking to a fan, you get the pleasure of genuine admiration, but that's about it, and you can get enough of it, I'm sure.

maura tierney

Post by maura tierney »

STEVE SIDWELL?!?!?!

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

twitcher73 wrote:
Fenrisinho wrote:How do you get over yourself anyways? :lol:

out of body experience... my spirit levitates while my body lays asleep... thus I am over myself...
Ever considered jumping?

calexico

Post by calexico »

Now, now people...play nice. No need to be bad mouthing anyone.

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

Fenrisinho wrote:How do you get over yourself anyways? :lol:

out of body experience... my spirit levitates while my body lays asleep... thus I am over myself...

Fenrisinho

Post by Fenrisinho »

How do you get over yourself anyways? :lol:

twitcher73

Post by twitcher73 »

trousersnakeandlarry wrote:
SCREW YOU!!!

I'M LEAVING!!!

You didn't even give us that much of a warning over at Brox-ville.

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

trousersnakeandlarry wrote: SCREW YOU!!!

I'M LEAVING!!!
Hahahaha!
Leave it to TS&L to simply make the Point and Perfect Example!
8)

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

SCREW YOU!!!

I'M LEAVING!!!

Damaged Son

Post by Damaged Son »

I dug back and found the infamous TMS post y'all seem to still be in a huff over.

twitcher73

Re: For real?

Post by twitcher73 »

the Watcher wrote:Is all this anti-Spencer sentiment for real? I don't see what the problem was. I do find it funny, however, that some of the heavy posters have complained that not enough players in the Jay Farrar universe post here, but then when they do folks get all e-sensitive and e-angry, to-wit: Spencer and Duplantis posts. :lol: You all want to view someone as a douche, I'd take a check in the ol' bathroom mirror. :?
Fo' rizzle... save all that rockstar BS for the Nickelback crowd. If Spencer was just having a bad day, fine, that's forgiveable... but man, he went over the top and I think he needs someone to pull his proverbial punk card.

El Diablo was just a rub...

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

i accepted the watcher's advice and peered into my bathroom mirror. there was no reflection back. is that good or bad?

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

He feels it in his heart.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

Sad part is I voted for Calexico in the "Miss Vinegar Tits 2007" pageant.
Now he will never know it.