What are you reading now, playas?

gdavis5446

Re: cookin' kicks ass!

Post by gdavis5446 »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
gdavis5446 wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:
altcountryman wrote:
gdavis5446 wrote:His TV show, No Reseravations, is pretty much all I watch.
Yeah, that's a great show. I enjoy all of his stuff. Tony is one of those assholes who's also a cool guy. Or maybe he's a cool guy who's also an asshole. Either way, he'd be one hell of a cat to have drinks with.

Kitchen Confidential is one of my all-time favorites, and one of the books I find myself recommending the most to others. Everyone I know who's read it really enjoyed it.

His others are pretty good. He's done some detective books that aren't really what you'd call "literary" but are entertaining stories, with a little cooking slant to them, which is cool.
I suppose the point of a thread is to have dialogue, so I hope I won't offend by saying that this book is one of the few that I actually tossed out...as in the trash! "Asshole" etc all rings true and unless I have mistakenly recollecting the contents of an entirely different book, this guys description of a scene in Tokyo was so outrageously fabricated to make me doubt the validity of the entire book. (Book check: This is the guy who said never order fish on such and such a night, right , because it can't possibly be fresh...and no, that wasn't the part that made me throw the book out. :D )

Anyway, no offense meant to those of you who find it a good read.
What made you throw it out?
He describes a visit to Tokyo. He is somewhere overlooking Shibuya Crossing, an area of Tokyo filled with hordes and swarms of young people,(predominantly, but touts and business people, gangsters, etc. 5 road crossing that is ALWAYS chaos. His description was something along the lines of stereotypical Japanese "orderliness" of people crossing the this major intersection. It was just so patently false it made me doubt whether he had ever been there. When I doubted that...because it is what I know, it made me wonder how much of the rest of the book was bullshit. But up to that point I enjoyed it!
Could've been the drugs?

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

gdavis5446 wrote:
Tokyo Fan wrote:
altcountryman wrote:
Yeah, that's a great show. I enjoy all of his stuff. Tony is one of those assholes who's also a cool guy. Or maybe he's a cool guy who's also an asshole. Either way, he'd be one hell of a cat to have drinks with.

Kitchen Confidential is one of my all-time favorites, and one of the books I find myself recommending the most to others. Everyone I know who's read it really enjoyed it.

His others are pretty good. He's done some detective books that aren't really what you'd call "literary" but are entertaining stories, with a little cooking slant to them, which is cool.
I suppose the point of a thread is to have dialogue, so I hope I won't offend by saying that this book is one of the few that I actually tossed out...as in the trash! "Asshole" etc all rings true and unless I have mistakenly recollecting the contents of an entirely different book, this guys description of a scene in Tokyo was so outrageously fabricated to make me doubt the validity of the entire book. (Book check: This is the guy who said never order fish on such and such a night, right , because it can't possibly be fresh...and no, that wasn't the part that made me throw the book out. :D )

He describes a visit to Tokyo. He is somewhere overlooking Shibuya Crossing, an area of Tokyo filled with hordes and swarms of young people,(predominantly, but touts and business people, gangsters, etc. 5 road crossing that is ALWAYS chaos. His description was something along the lines of stereotypical Japanese "orderliness" of people crossing the this major intersection. It was just so patently false it made me doubt whether he had ever been there. When I doubted that...because it is what I know, it made me wonder how much of the rest of the book was bullshit. But up to that point I enjoyed it!

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Tokyo Fan wrote:
altcountryman wrote:

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

altcountryman wrote:

anadyne2112

Post by anadyne2112 »

AMERICAN GODS Neil Gaiman

altcountryman

Post by altcountryman »

Tokyo Fan

Re: ///

Post by Tokyo Fan »

36-30 wrote:My wife said she enjoyed reading THe Road. I have seen it come up several times after that, too. I think I'll check it out next.

She never mentioned anything about trains, though. I enjoy trains.
"trains" as in "commuter book"! :D You're absolutely right. No trains in "The Road".

36-30

///

Post by 36-30 »

My wife said she enjoyed reading THe Road. I have seen it come up several times after that, too. I think I'll check it out next.

She never mentioned anything about trains, though. I enjoy trains.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

[quote="sturgeongeneral"...now reading cormac mccarthy, the road....[/quote]

This my current train book. Horrific. So well written...but depresses the hell outta me.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Coffee Creek wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:
gdavis5446 wrote:Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
That's in my on deck circle. He's got a couple of books, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep. He does. His other well known book is 'A Cook's Tour'. I haven't read that one yet.

I've read 'Kitchen Confidential'. Good stuff. Pretty funny view on cooks, chefs, kitchens and the lifestyle surrounding them.

He's written a few other things, but they aren't coming to mind.
Your on deck circle? That is classic. So far a good read. His TV show, No Reseravations, is pretty much all I watch. And All The Pretty horses is next up to bat for me.

Coffee Creek

cookin' kicks ass!

Post by Coffee Creek »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
Yep. He does. His other well known book is 'A Cook's Tour'. I haven't read that one yet.

I've read 'Kitchen Confidential'. Good stuff. Pretty funny view on cooks, chefs, kitchens and the lifestyle surrounding them.

He's written a few other things, but they aren't coming to mind.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

Just completed:

Team of Rivals - Doris Kearns Goodwin

Now:

The Man Without Qualities - Robert Musil

Still:

The Search (Lyrics) - Jay Farrar

"Aintry? This River Don't Go to Aintry!"

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Loser by Michael Lewis.

Love all his other books...Sharp, funny, easy reading.

Got done last month with "Shakey"...a great read about Neil Y, especially if you're into the man behind the music.