What are you reading now, playas?

mzkmm

Post by mzkmm »

EYE OF MOLOCH ( hard cover, last book finished)
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MARK TWAIN, VOLUME 1 (hard cover, trying to finish for two years)
MEMOIRS OF A HIGHLAND LADY ( soft cover, trying to finish for six months)

Huddybud

Post by Huddybud »

Just tackled Last Exit to Brooklyn...not for the weak of heart...

Currently reading Women by Bukowski...

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Seven American Deaths and Disasters-Kenneth Goldsmith

Gideon

Post by Gideon »

I am so much interested about any kind of interesting book because I like to read book. Now I am reading Biography of Parvez Musharraf. I think this is a very interesting political book.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Becoming a really big fan/groupie of Jon Ronson and Willie Vlautin.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

"Joseph Anton" by Salman Rushdie. Incredible writer detailing all that went into the writing of The Satanic Verses and then the subsequent fatwa placed on his life. I have never read anything by him before, though was certainly aware of his name. Seeing him interviewed on television, my interest was piqued, and I am quite engrossed in his story, told in the third person. Again, an incredible writer with the read being well worth it for any aspiring writers out there. Note: "Joseph Anton" is the alias that he went under while under threat. (taken from Joseph Conrad and Anton Chekov, two of his favorite authors).

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

Hi Dr. Zapatos,

I'm glad you gave me the head's up about Lean On Pete because I read Northline the day after finishing The Motel Life.

I read Northline for the first time in one marathon. Then I re-read three-quarters of it over the next few days, and man, I gotta tell you, it wore me out. Very real writing. I had to set it down the second time. Couldn't stomach it.

Willy Vlautin writes stories that strike right to the core and the heart. Man, I'm not sure I can stomach another one like Northline.

I'll get right on reading Lean On Pete though ... As soon as I finish Bob Mould's See A Little Light: The Trail of Rage and Melody

Tonight's the night love,
Sport Pony

Dr. Zapatos

Re: FAB (Fucking Awesome Book)

Post by Dr. Zapatos »

Grifterwithafunnylittleha wrote:The Motel Life, Willy Vlautin

I got to tell ya, I've been putting off reading this book for quite some time for no other reason than I was reading other things and kept putting it off. It's been on my radar for quite some time but you know how it goes ... Other books appear in the way :-)

I read it today, and the story is all things life. So much not said, and all the things said in between. Well spun, Willy. I love the book's voice. Not a word is wasted.

Throughout the book, I never had the glaring thought, "There's a device."

I read the devices. They are there. Yet they are natural oral history and story-telling family history things. Excellent read.

Love,
Grifter
This was the last of his books I read, Lean on Pete got me hooked. His way with words, sense of place, and feel of his characters is just very enjoyable to read.

Grifterwithafunnylittleha

Re: The Red Pony

Post by Grifterwithafunnylittleha »

John Tiflin wrote:Just finishing up Steinbeck's the Red Pony.

It's a nice quick read for Steinbeck.

It's one of his more obscure pieces, but definitely worth checking out.
Hi John,

Welcome to the Jay Farrar Message Board! I'm back for now because the twins are sound asleep.

Really, The Red Pony is a Steinbeck obscurity? Me and my classmates read that story aloud in rural-ass America in the fourth grade. ;-) Maybe reading lists have changed. Holden Caulfield would be ... well, I'm not sure what he would think (or be).

Love,
Sport Pony (Really Red and Way Down Further South Than Most) Sportie! Sportie! Sportie!

p.s. Your video is a pretty good one.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

finished! by my new favorite housewife, Carole Radziwill.
It was me, Carole, Anthony, Carolyn and John Jr. that day on the beach.

kisses,

half kennedy jr.

John Tiflin

The Red Pony

Post by John Tiflin »

Just finishing up Steinbeck's the Red Pony.

It's a nice quick read for Steinbeck.

It's one of his more obscure pieces, but definitely worth checking out.

el caballo loco

Post by el caballo loco »

I got to tell ya, I've been putting off reading this book for quite some time for no other reason than I was reading other things and kept putting it off. It's been on my radar for quite some time but you know how it goes ... Other books appear in the way :-)

I read it today, and the story is all things life. So much not said, and all the things said in between. Well spun, Willy. I love the book's voice. Not a word is wasted.

I read the devices. They are there. Yet they are natural oral history and story-telling family history things. Excellent read.

Love,
Grifter
Loved this one. Blew through it a 2 days.

ct

Post by ct »

I just finished "One Flew Over the Coo-Coo Nest."
I have only seen a very few minutes of the movie. After reading the book I'm not sure I want to see the movie.

I just can't see Jack Nicholson playing JP McMurphy after reading the book.

half-n-half

Post by half-n-half »

Love,
Grifter
+1