What are you reading now, playas?

calexico

Post by calexico »

Best of luck. I thought it was one of the most difficult books to get into and to actually read that I have ever encountered.

ScottZeagle

Post by ScottZeagle »

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy....

Just a few pages into it at this point. It was actually recomended to me by Ben Nichols of Lucero. Je told me that it affected him so much, he had wrote a half dozen songs based on it and would probably record an acoustic EP of those songs...

I figure that if any book can have that affect on a guy, I should probably check it out.

:)

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Just finished The Power and the Glory by Greene.

calexico

Post by calexico »

I got three Bukowskis lined up:

Post Office
Factotum
Women.

Still have yet to get the King book.

trailrider

Post by trailrider »

History of the Blues: The Roots, The Music, The People by Francis Davis - A little high-brow and sociological so far, but an interesting analysis of the progression of the form from the Delta and into widespread popularity.

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe - sort of on hold because it's too big to lug around in my messenger bag and I do all of my reading on the ferry to work now that we have an infant in the house.

Duma Key by Stephen King - Taking it with me to Jamaica as my vacation book, so, technically, I'm not reading it yet.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

reading two at the moment:

"the nine: inside the secret world of the supreme court": jeffrey toobin; fascinating read about the personalities deciding the highest law in the land

"the undertaking: life studies from the dismal trade": thomas lynch;
an insightful read from an undertaker who also happens to be a poet

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

Duma Key, Stephen King's newest.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. As The New York Times Book Review says "thoughtful, engrossing...you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where food comes from."

No shit (no pun intended!). I will never touch a chicken nugget again. The book is divided into four sections. The first section is on corn, how U.S. government policy has pushed that since the "70's until it makes up a huge percentage of what the American public eats ("Corn Walking").

Second section, where I am at now, is on organics. Eye opening as well. Pretty amazing what can happen when you simply redefine (or corrupt or blur or whatever) a word.

It sure ain't our grandfather's pastoral farms anymore...but we probably all knew that.

Highly recommended.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

"The Complete Polysyllabic Spree" by Nick Hornby. The blurb says "This is not a book of reviews. This is not a book that sneers at other books. This is a book about reading- about enjoying books wherever and however you find them." I look forward to beginning this tonight.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

sturgeongeneral wrote:i have always been drawn to books and movies involving road trips and journeys. when i was young it was a vicarious method to experience other places without the expense and the time. now that i am able to undertake the actual roadtrips i find the experience to be both cathartic and disambiguating. when traveling one is not defined by their future or their past but simply of the moment. i like that.
Unfortunately, I don't know, and my on-line Cambridge distionary of American English doesn't recognize, the meaning of "disambiguating"! :D But I think I follow you and I do agree with your last line about traveling and "the moment".

sturgeongeneral

i have always been drawn to books and movies involving road trips and journeys. when i was young it was a vicarious method to experience other places without the expense and the time. now that i am able to undertake the actual roadtrips i find the experience to be both cathartic and disambiguating. when traveling one is not defined by their future or their past but simply of the moment. i like that.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

sturgeongeneral wrote:a friend just loaned me 'blue highways' by william least heat-moon. the author shares his experiences while traveling the backroads of america and his sense of curiosity about "those little towns that get on a map only because some cartographer has a blank space to fill". places like why, arizona; whynot mississippi; and remote, oregon.
I read that many a year ago. A good book. Relaxing, so should be a nice break from your McCarthy reading. (And I think you just came back from a road trip, so should be perfect for you).

sturgeongeneral

a friend just loaned me 'blue highways' by william least heat-moon. the author shares his experiences while traveling the backroads of america and his sense of curiosity about "those little towns that get on a map only because some cartographer has a blank space to fill". places like why, arizona; whynot mississippi; and remote, oregon.

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

What about when black people try and talk white? I am guilty!

lewhoney

Post by lewhoney »

Who you calling white?