Richmond Fontaine

gdavis5446

Post by gdavis5446 »

I actually prefer his books to his music. His music is good, but his novels are just wonderful.

Monkeygunner

Post by Monkeygunner »

matt wrote:Speaking of the bleak stories played out in 13 cities and other RF songs/ albums - you may want to check out a novel called "The Motel Life". It was written by RF frontman Willy Vlautin and deals with the same kind of stories of well meaning people that wind up skating along the fringes of society, heading toward inevitable disaster.

Not exactly light, feel-good summer reading but its a really enjoyable novel.
His second novel NORTHLINE (equally as good as Motel Life) comes with a 14 song SOUNDTRACK TO THE BOOK. It's Willy & Paul Brainard and it's beautiful stuff.

Our home town boy is doing good.

When they opened for SON VOLT on 03 Sept 2005 at the Nightlight in Bellingham, WA. it was a dream come true... Willy always sells the RF stuff after shows. He's a hands on kinda guy and approachable to boot.

calexico

Post by calexico »

I am considering going to England to see them somewhere in September. The only date in Ireland is at a festival which is not really my bag or the type of gig to really appreciate them.

barclocksays3am

Post by barclocksays3am »

Really love this band.I only started listening to them last year but several albums later I`m hooked.The Fitzgerald is one of the most depressing albums I ever heard though it`s brilliant as well.
Looking forward to the new one.

Rarefied Farrar

Post by Rarefied Farrar »

Great song, funny video.

I like the guy in the back just kinda standing there with a can of beer. He's like, "Yeah, I'm in the band, but they don't need me this song."

the art guy

Post by the art guy »

Thanks for the heads up - I love these guys. That song sounds good.

calexico

Post by calexico »

New Richmond Fontaine album out in September. Called We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River.

Here's some descriptions of the new songs.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/richmond...ine/news/13154

I have really gotten to like the new song. Can't wait for the album.

Willy looks pure out of his zone in this video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36gt8t2Mxw

head tone harmony

Post by head tone harmony »

Im really digging it. then again, willy is one of those voices that always works for me. You can tell he/they moved to the southwest. has a tough of calexico in there. having lived in two of the 13 cities the past few years, can relate to some of the stories. Would be a heck of a summer road trip to visit em all.

matt

Post by matt »

Speaking of the bleak stories played out in 13 cities and other RF songs/ albums - you may want to check out a novel called "The Motel Life". It was written by RF frontman Willy Vlautin and deals with the same kind of stories of well meaning people that wind up skating along the fringes of society, heading toward inevitable disaster.

Not exactly light, feel-good summer reading but its a really enjoyable novel.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I listened to it again this morning. Thank God the sun is shining brightly...the lyrics on that $87 (9?) and a guilty conscience is bleak! But is sure paints a picture of wide open semi-arid spaces. If they have put out as many albums as I have read here they must not be as young the main character populating the 13 Cities album tracks appears to be...but then again, maybe older folk hang out in their mother's basements nowadays (how the hell would I know, eh?!). And then the painting houses one...stiffing the illegal...this guy (main character) seems to be a good guy with a conscience...he needs to get out of that ever evolving cycle...get outta there!

gam6

Richmond Fontaine

Post by gam6 »

TF-

Have a good listen to Winnemucca then throw in Montgomery Park on Post to Wire!

Cheers!

calexico

Post by calexico »

Stick with it TF. Repeated listens will reward you. In my opinion, the greatest American band currently making music.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

based on everyone's (on this thread) recomendation, I bought 13 cities, my first Richmond Fontaine album. Half listened to it last night and liked it. I think it is track 3 that sounds the spitting image of Mark Olson and Creekdippers. Lyrics are pretty depressing, eh?! Took me back about 30 years to the days of my youth, planting trees, traveling all the way down to Creede, Colorado.

gam6

Richmond Fontizzle

Post by gam6 »

Willy Vlautin is an excellent lyricist!

"Every thought I thought I thought right!"

I am hoping for an East Coast performance in the near future!

Blimps Go 90

Re: Richmond Fontaine

Post by Blimps Go 90 »

head tone harmony wrote:13 cities.

Anybody have it yet? Any thoughts?

Couple of Mp3 floating around out there

I have "Capsized" as well as "$87 and a Conscience That Gets Worse The Longer I Go"

Both Fantastic!