Trip to Belleville

Dan

Re: Saint Genevieve

Post by Dan »

kknowles wrote:Since you are a History Prof was hoping you could tell me the significance of St Genevieve that is used in a song off of Trace. What is her story and why would she "hold back the water'?
kknowles-I found this on another website, and it provides some good info about St. Gen. They had 'The Great Flood' in 1993 and the town scrambled to 'hold back the water' so that these great old French houses wouldn't be ruined. Their sandbags worked.

Here's a vacation trip you hadn't thought of, and don't lie and say you had: St. Genevieve, Missouri, along the Mississippi River about an hour south of St. Louis. We admit we'd never heard of it either -- until we heard Son Volt's eerily fascinating song "Tear-Stained Eye," which tells of the 1993 St. Genevieve flood. The town itself is actually the first acknowledged settlement west of the Mississippi, founded by French settlers around 1725, and is one of the rare places in America where you can still see the French "poteaux en terre" style of house construction, which means "posts in ground." Don't lie and say you knew that either. To build houses in this style, vertical posts were placed directly into a deep trench and earth was packed in to hold them upright. The spaces between the posts would soon become walls, filled with a combination of stones, earth and plaster. These walls were then given a finished coat of plaster on the interior and exterior, and then whitewashed. Tall, narrow openings were filled with casement windows, and had exterior shutters. At least two-thirds of the first St. Louis buildings were constructed this way, but most are gone now. The Amoreux House in St. Genevieve is one of the fine examples of this almost extinct style. While there, be sure to see the Bolduc House, designated a National Historic Landmark, built in 1770 and moved to its present site in 1784. Regarded as the first, most authentically restored Creole house in the nation, it's accurately restored with the original 18th century furnishings, stockade fence, frontier kitchen, living quarters, 18th century culinary and medicinal herb gardens and grape arbor.

Post by Sticky »

St. Genevieve is a small town about an hour from St. Louis on the Mississippi River. Lot of flooding, most every spring.

kknowles

Saint Genevieve

Post by kknowles »

Since you are a History Prof was hoping you could tell me the significance of St Genevieve that is used in a song off of Trace. What is her story and why would she "hold back the water'?

criminals

Post by criminals »

CC,

Also check out stltoday.com

I'm in Times Square, NYC. This place is crazy!

fraggle

Re: Jackhead

Post by fraggle »

Hey Coffee Creek. Check your email.

Coffee Creek

Post by Coffee Creek »

fraggle ...

Thanks for the heads up ... looks like it could be a great show.

I'm visiting friends in Belleville ... I'll see if I can coerce them into going.

As I was perusing the site ... I noticed Jackhead has played there.

They're from Carbondale ... I have a couple friends that are bandmembers. They put on a great show ... some good original stuff and a lot of good alt. country covers.... if you get the chance ... check them out.

thanks again,

CC

sawyer

Re: Sakes

Post by sawyer »

Alexa wrote:
Momo wrote:Quit namedropping Nick Sakes.

Alexa I love you. I mock Nick for you. Forget about Sawyer. Drop that zero, get with this bigdicked city boy.
I like that last part...LOL.
HA HA!! do i gotta go thru every thread every day?! momo, how'd you find out i was a zero? it was the Mish pics huh? :P

Coffee Creek

Post by Coffee Creek »

fraggle ...

thanks for the tip

I'll check out the link

CC

fraggle

sat shows in STL

Post by fraggle »

Nadine w/ Gingersol at Off Broadway in STL on sat. aug. 9.
Should be a good one.

http://www.offbroadwaystl.com

Coffee Creek

Post by Coffee Creek »

Hey all Belleville Area Farrar board posting type people!

I'm heading up to Belleville this Saturday (the 9th).

Anyone know of any good local shows going on that night?

Just thought I'd take a shot and see.

Thanks,

CC

Long Slow Fade

Post by Long Slow Fade »

It seems that this board is comparable to Jay's shows. 300 guys and three ladies.

SWORDFIGHT!!

Alexa

Post by Alexa »

saratoga jay wrote:Alexa he only has it partially right....he meant to say he IS a big dick.
:D

Damn, so many guys on this board that I'm in heaven...:-)

Alexa

Re: Sakes

Post by Alexa »

Momo wrote:Quit namedropping Nick Sakes.

Alexa I love you. I mock Nick for you. Forget about Sawyer. Drop that zero, get with this bigdicked city boy.
I like that last part...LOL.

saratoga jay

one more thing...

Post by saratoga jay »

Lastly dude...I'd be willing to bet cash money you were the drunk asshole yelling at Jay from the balcony in ithe North Star at the Philly show. I loved how he stop and yelled back at your stupid ass and asked what your name was and like a bitch you screeched out "Greg..." or "Glen..." or whatever your name is.

Tell me I'm not right dude! And don't lie to yourself!

saratoga jay

i'm glad to see you admire my work....

Post by saratoga jay »

Whats to explain Mr. Somuchsmarterthaneveryoneelse????

This is the first and only mesage board I have ever been on. The only reason I do is to get some information on Jay, who I think is the best, and share whatever thoughts and jokes I have with other people who are most likely Farrar fans too.

Debating or responding to you is not my idea of fun, but all you seem to do is spread venom by criticizing or belittling people and you come across as being a real prick. So I mentioned a movie I'm looking forward to seeing about a race horse and then when looking at the racing form before I went to the track Sat. I saw a horse whose name looked liked Jay's and I shared it with his fans. Not the typical topics, maybe.

But they are no where as weird as you suggesting Jay and Jeff banged cows back in the day, or me blowing the second place finishing Jayar after his race, like you mentioned above.

Look dude, I've made it a point not to.....forget it man...you bore me.