Top 5 Son Volt songs

CopenhagenRoots

Post by CopenhagenRoots »

I believe you, but do you mind explaining in which the way you listen to music has changed...

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

cope, take your time. if you truly love good music you are just taking the first step to some amazing sounds. eventually, you will want to understand the genesis of this sound, i.e, uncle tupelo. and, after that, you will evolve to jay's more experimental solo stuff. believe me, it will all come with time. jay f., 4-5 years ago, changed the way i listen to music today.

CopenhagenRoots

I won't, but don't you know the overwhelming feeling of having so much good music in front of you that you don't know where to start. I guess I was just curious. I didn't know Windfall and Tear Stained Eye were the classics, now I'll try to find out...

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Haven't logged in for a while but for a new fan, anything.

In no particular order:

1. Last Minute Shakedown (possibly the greatest song of all time)
2. Route
3. Hanging Blue Side
4. Left A Slide
5. Live Free

Windfall and Tear Stained Eye are givens so they don't make the list.

And allow me to ask, given that you've got 5 albums and are digging on SV, why the hell would you limit yourself to 5 songs? They're ALL great.

CopenhagenRoots

I do feel very fortunate, though this songwriter makes me feel like I should've paid more attention in the english classes and travelled more in the US. The lyrics are not easy.
This seems to be a great site. Thanks.
By the way: It's midnight in Copenhagen, wife and kids are in the countryside. Just me, Carlsberg and five Son Volt albums. Can't think of a better day.

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

you are a fortunate person to have discovered sv and able to saturate yourself with all that music at one time. my top five(not an easy decision and subject to change depending on my mood):

1. left a slide- straightaways
2. windfall- trace
3. methamphetamine- the search
4. hanging blue side- wide swing
5. tear stained eye- trace

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

From Wide Swing T
Medicine Hat
Flow

From Straightaways
Creosote
Left A Slide

From Trace
Live Free
Route

From Okemah
Bandages & Scars
Highway 61

From The Search
Action
Beacon Soul

FYI Trace's Windfall, Tear Stained Eye are long-time classics and Search's Meth and Highways & Cigs are in that direction ...any disagreement?

Your list is great, congrats and welcome...
Last edited by megaballs1 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CopenhagenRoots

Top 5 Son Volt songs

Son Volt are new to me. I'm sitting here with five albums and one seems to be better than the other. I don't know what I've been doing all these years.
Well, from the first week of round the clock listening this would be top 5. If you reply, please don't mention Farrars solo work, since I haven't got the music yet:

1. Drivin' the view
2. Drown
3. Back into your world
4. Circadian Rhythm
5. Cemetery Savior

Tell me what i should listen closer to.

Best