Son Volt at Willie's Picnic

TragicFig

Post by TragicFig »

I made it to the SV show at Willie's picnic. Here is a quick summary: it was hot. I mean HOT. 96 deg or greater throughout the day. The sun was merciless. I confess to spending most of my time in the cool zone shelter on the hill adjacent to the ampitheater. People wandered in and out of the cool zone in a sun blistered daze with their shirts off, red backs, beer guts, body art, and beers. Given the time of year and the latitude the sun just would not go down. I listened to the dull rumble of the other bands and finally ventured down to the stage for the Volt.

The sun was directly behind the stage as the boys were helping the crew set up which made it hard as hell to see. There was a hot, gusty wind.

Here is the set list (from memory, may not be accurate):

Satellite
Highway 61
Search
Picture (w/harmonica)
Jet Pilot
Medication
Adreneline and Heresy
Tear Stained Eye
Windfall

Bandages
Drown

They played for about 50 minutes...sounded great. Dave huge on drums. Derry putting lots of body english into the keys. Jay in good humor. Lots of aging 10 gallon hat wearing Willie fans and slack titty Harley chicks bopping to the tunes.

Great being up close as they pumped out the volume needed to fill the theater. Jay's voice soared out over the canyon. Far and away the highlight was A&H. First time I had heard it live and it was incredible. Worth the drive and price of admission on its own.

I bolted after the Volt and drove back to Seattle - did I mention it was hot?

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

i bet that was a treat for those on the left coast.

Tokyo Fan

Son Volt at Willie's Picnic

Post by Tokyo Fan »

There isn't much here, but this is the only thing I've seen so far on Son Volt at the Gorge in George (Willie Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic). From the PI "Son Volt stuck to the booming rock songs from its new record..."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/322573_willie06q.html

Anybody at the show with further exciting details?