Son Volt on ESPn & vinyl

criminals

Post by criminals »

I saw the commercial last night during the derby and NEVER even thought that might be SV! I thought the commercial was pretty cool, kids from England crying and tearing down posters of Beckham. I was also thinking to myself "here's a fairly weak cover of Hello Goodbye and Michael Jackson is making some more money". It sounded nothing like Jay IMO.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

ShuckOwens wrote:SELL OUT!!!!!!

When you’re driving the view and need to stay in the flow, pick up a 100 calorie FarrarBar. Candy bars are out of the picture, and it mystifies me why anyone would eat that junk. There’s nothing greater than candy when you’re young, but with all those chemicals it’s just cancer waiting to happen. FarrarBars are all natural without a trace of chemical additives. We drown each bar in vitamins with a grapeshot fine spray of chocolate and ipecac to make it alright. Folks from Dent County to Fish Fingers Norway have put down the whiskey bottle and stopped living for the moment.
Feel free to drop me a line if you have a question.

the Watcher

How the sausage gets made...

Post by the Watcher »

So how does something like this come about?

Does SV's management come to them with this offer, and they go into studio to cut this song just for the commercial? Was it a leftover from some prior session that got shopped around. Did they record it on spec, just for the purpose of selling it for commercial/ad use?

Anyone?

Hank Snow

Post by Hank Snow »

Just saw/heard Hello Goodbye on a Target commercial as well.

Not the Jay version though.

He's done Beatles covers before and has said in more than one interview how much he likes them.

danmen

Post by danmen »

Linwood Thorpe wrote:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1

link to commercial...this was posed last night, but for some reason it was taken down.
That was me posting, then pulling. I wanted to get the ok from Sharon to make sure SV is cool with it (I am sure they are), plus did not want the wrath of MLS, David Beckham or whoever currently owns the Beatles catalog. Once I get clearance I'll repost. Maybe I could put it up on a fileshare for now if anyone wants it.

danmen

Post by danmen »

Linwood Thorpe wrote:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1

link to commercial...this was posed last night, but for some reason it was taken down.
That was me posting, then pulling. I wanted to get the ok from Sharon to make sure SV is cool with it (I am sure they are), plus did not want the wrath of MLS, David Beckham or whoever currently owns the Beatles catalog. Once I get clearance I'll repost. Maybe I could put it up on a fileshare for now if anyone wants it.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

countryfeedback wrote:Those that dont like the falsetto Jay may not want to listen. I thought it sounded alright, though I never thought Jay would cover The Beatles. Or at least have choosen a more obscure song. However the jingle is quite clever and works very well for the ad.
Jay has covered the Beatles. Saw him do "Love You To" as an encore in Toronto a few years back when he was touring with Spencer. It was the highlight of the show.

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

Those that dont like the falsetto Jay may not want to listen. I thought it sounded alright, though I never thought Jay would cover The Beatles. Or at least have choosen a more obscure song. However the jingle is quite clever and works very well for the ad.

Sidenote:
I just wish the Home Run Derby could have been more exciting, but I was not at all surprised. Pac Bell Park (I refuse to call it AT&T) is the most difficult stadium to hit the long ball (though Petco Park may give it a run for it's money when it hosts the Home Run snoozefest in a couple years.) I guess this further proves how astonishing Barry Bonds achievements have become. I too would have taken the "cream and the clear" if I had to play there. :wink:

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

How much you think Apple/ Beatles ask for to use one of their tunes?
It's a fairly big deal and so is Beckham and ESPN.
I bet we'll see it alot and no, we don't need credit for it. It's not an original piece and Jay is hardly a cover artist.

Take the money and run. But some big people sure trust Jay... Ho's need to eat... :lol:

farrarfan1

Post by farrarfan1 »

I agree that it didn't sound much like the Beatles. I just wonder how many people watching even paid much enough attention to the commercial to notice the song in the background. And no, they didn't show any credits.

Tweety > Farha

Post by Tweety > Farha »

I didn't mean to imply that I couldn't tell it from the original (I am a Beatle fan, btw). My point was that I would have never guessed that the voice on this commercial belonged to Mr. Farrar. And the man has a fairly distinctive voice.

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

I don't think anyone would think it is the Beatles' original. I didn't see any sort of "credit" as to song (did I just miss this?). That is one thing I like about Japanese commercials. It will always credit the music artist (usually lower right hand of the screen), which generates sales for the band/musician in addition to the commercials main purpose of generating product sales. As far as the cover by Son Volt: so-so, pretty straight forward, but no mistaking it for the Beatles (in my opinion).

ShuckOwens

Post by ShuckOwens »

lewhoney wrote:This is America -- shuck
Sarcasm, lew. Don't make me send out for the big guns...

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Too bad Jay didn't remake it w/minor chords and have Mark Spencer go nasty...

respectful and tasteful...

I bet we'll be hearing this a bunch in the next couple of weeks...

Think Beckham...