Son Volt on ESPn & vinyl

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

WFU03 wrote:one reason people might have referred to it as Wilco-esque (and don't deserve to be crucified for it) is the original storyboard called for "a Wilco-esque, Americana rendition."

Here's the http://lariotsquad.org/Beckham_ESPN.pdf

I still want to find the full version of the cover though. I can't get it out of my head.
I certainly didn't know that that was a term used on the original storyboard, so thanks for the info. And my frothing and, to use Calexico's term, getting my knickers all in a twist, was directed towards frustration at what I saw as lack of marketing foresight. But anyhow its no skin off my teeth and you may or may not be directing the crucifiction comment towards me. But I did post to Slate suggesting that the link should be to Son Volt (rather than a link to Wilco)...and got a very nice response (pasted in an earlier post on this thread) from the Hot Document essentially showing a willingness to provide a plug for Son Volt (in the form of a link to the mp3. They already had a link to the ad itself). So because the full version mp3 seems to be non-existent, I haven't been able to respond to the Slate request...and thus endeth my shortlived quasi-SV marketing career! :D

peainthepod

Post by peainthepod »

saratoga jay wrote:
WFU03 wrote:one reason people might have referred to it as Wilco-esque (and don't deserve to be crucified for it) is the original storyboard called for "a Wilco-esque, Americana rendition."

I still want to find the full version of the cover though. I can't get it out of my head.
that is super, super cool. thanks a bunch, dude!
i wonder if
the irony of JF
singing a "Wilco-esque" song
was something the producers were trying to achieve

& futhermore
if Pele couldnt get it done
how is this poser gonna save USA soccer

pea

saratoga jay

Post by saratoga jay »

that is super, super cool. thanks a bunch, dude!

WFU03

Post by WFU03 »

one reason people might have referred to it as Wilco-esque (and don't deserve to be crucified for it) is the original storyboard called for "a Wilco-esque, Americana rendition."

countryfeedback

Post by countryfeedback »

megaballs1 wrote:Remember this bizarre new post in April by head tone harmony??

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 pm Post subject: SV story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my wife works for this ad agency in Portland. They have bands come in every week or so and play during lunch in their common area atrium thing. Its more a less a few bleachers and a floor. There are about 200 people that work there. Most of the acts i havent heard of but some can be well known from what I am told.
They dont announce the band until a few days prior to them playing. So its the week of the Son volt show (late march) and Im all jacked up for the show, playing the new record, etc. She, like i am sure is true for most of our significant others, has been barraged with Jays music for many years and although i cant consider her a true convert, she understands my obsession and lets it be.
Its Tuesday morning, the SV show is Wednesday, and i get a call from her at work saying "who is that guy you like so much?".
First off, this is probably the 50th time I have been asked this, but shes endearing that way so i remind her its jay farrar.
"Hes the guy in son volt right?"
- Yes dear -
"They are playing her thursday for lunch"
First thought was no frickin way. Second was fuck no way, I am going to be out of town.
We went to the show on Wednesday night. They rocked. Great show. I had to get up early to head to the airport (should have cancelled, I accept full responsibility). On the way, I left these specific instructions:
1. take pictures and lots of them.
2. make sure you get your hands on the video (they tape all the shows).
3. After the second song, make sure you yell “Moonshiner” as loud as you can. Its an inside joke that would just crack Jay up.
4. grab any and all merchandise, freebies, whatever and walk over to Jay and have them signed.

I got back Friday from my trip and on our dining room table was a Son Volt Search refrigerator magnet, two stickers, and a copy of the CD I already have.
The rest of my instructions were ignored. Unbelievably, we’re still married. The magnet is on the fridge.

The video may surface soon. If I can figure out the ways and means, ill share it."""""""""""""""""

Well, Head Tone Harmony....anything to add?
Really should have missed that flight....

Would love to hear more from HTH on all of this.

bwhite0421

Post by bwhite0421 »

I saw some pieces of that show last night. Strangely entertaining. I missed any SV talk.

On a somewhat related note, I find her incredibly sexy. I didn't realize that until watching the show. Can't put my finger on what it is [although I'd relish the opportunity to put my finger on somethin', if you know what I'm saying]. Maybe the fact that she seems to strive to be uber-ladylike, as opposed to Jessica Simpson burping and talking about taking dumps on that reality show she was on?[/quote]

sorry, i guess i should have id'd my post as sarcastic. i didn't see any of the show and have no knowledge that she knows who SV is.

i do have to agree with your 'somewhat related note' though. she does have a certain allure to her that you don't see in alot of the current female celebrities.

cheers,

b

hollywood44

Post by hollywood44 »

bwhite0421 wrote:
loose_string wrote:Is that song available somewhere else?

Have I missed something?
has anybody been able to come up with a copy of the whole song yet?

btw, the victoria: coming to america show was really good. she said that she was the one that picked the son volt tune for the ad.

cheers,

b
I saw some pieces of that show last night. Strangely entertaining. I missed any SV talk.

On a somewhat related note, I find her incredibly sexy. I didn't realize that until watching the show. Can't put my finger on what it is [although I'd relish the opportunity to put my finger on somethin', if you know what I'm saying]. Maybe the fact that she seems to strive to be uber-ladylike, as opposed to Jessica Simpson burping and talking about taking dumps on that reality show she was on?

bwhite0421

Post by bwhite0421 »

loose_string wrote:Is that song available somewhere else?

Have I missed something?
has anybody been able to come up with a copy of the whole song yet?

btw, the victoria: coming to america show was really good. she said that she was the one that picked the son volt tune for the ad.

cheers,

b

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Remember this bizarre new post in April by head tone harmony??

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 pm Post subject: SV story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my wife works for this ad agency in Portland. They have bands come in every week or so and play during lunch in their common area atrium thing. Its more a less a few bleachers and a floor. There are about 200 people that work there. Most of the acts i havent heard of but some can be well known from what I am told.
They dont announce the band until a few days prior to them playing. So its the week of the Son volt show (late march) and Im all jacked up for the show, playing the new record, etc. She, like i am sure is true for most of our significant others, has been barraged with Jays music for many years and although i cant consider her a true convert, she understands my obsession and lets it be.
Its Tuesday morning, the SV show is Wednesday, and i get a call from her at work saying "who is that guy you like so much?".
First off, this is probably the 50th time I have been asked this, but shes endearing that way so i remind her its jay farrar.
"Hes the guy in son volt right?"
- Yes dear -
"They are playing her thursday for lunch"
First thought was no frickin way. Second was fuck no way, I am going to be out of town.
We went to the show on Wednesday night. They rocked. Great show. I had to get up early to head to the airport (should have cancelled, I accept full responsibility). On the way, I left these specific instructions:
1. take pictures and lots of them.
2. make sure you get your hands on the video (they tape all the shows).
3. After the second song, make sure you yell “Moonshiner” as loud as you can. Its an inside joke that would just crack Jay up.
4. grab any and all merchandise, freebies, whatever and walk over to Jay and have them signed.

I got back Friday from my trip and on our dining room table was a Son Volt Search refrigerator magnet, two stickers, and a copy of the CD I already have.
The rest of my instructions were ignored. Unbelievably, we’re still married. The magnet is on the fridge.

The video may surface soon. If I can figure out the ways and means, ill share it."""""""""""""""""

Well, Head Tone Harmony....anything to add?
Really should have missed that flight....

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

Well, I guess my mail to the Fray (Slate) paid off! They are asking for an MP3 link:

Re: Beckham Ad Soundtrack
by Hot Document
07-13-2007, 10:50 AM #
Hey VoltFan -- glad to know the ad agency picked a talent worthy to carry the Beatles. if you have a link to an MP3 of the cover, would you post it for other Hot Document and Slate readers? Thanks for reading the column, Bonnie

Can anybody help me out on that link? I'd like to send it to 'em so Slate and Hot Document readers can get a glimpse of the light.

countryfeedback

http://wklondon.typepad.com/welcome_to_ ... oodby.html

Here is a link to the ad agency that produced the commercial. Apparently Son Volt played a live show in their Portland office recently.

countryfeedback

I have to admit that it was kinda weird watching ESPN this weekend and seeing the Son Volt Beckham commerical immediately followed by the Wilco Volkswagon ad. Strange shit indeed.

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

ShuckOwens wrote: Someone goofing on a Beatles classic by singing in a key that is obviously out of their range.
Nobody would watch that commercial and listen to Jay's voice on that version of the song and think it was someone singing in a key that is obviously out of their range .. except a disgruntled Son Volt fan who doesn't like the new stuff.

There's no straining to hit the high notes. He sounds great.

camaroheadus

Post by camaroheadus »

The Dude wrote:How can any Son Volt fan possibly be married to someone who hates Son Volt? Successfully? Camaro?
ya gotta let 'em know early in the game. i figured if i told her right away about my two obsessive hobbies (teh volt and civil war re-enacting) and she stayed around i had nothing to worry about.

she doesn't mind the volt and actuallly loves the live shows. she just doesn't understand how i listen SO much and how people i have never met will send me cd's in the mail.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

How can any Son Volt fan possibly be married to someone who hates Son Volt? Successfully? Camaro?