Better Album? The Search or Sky Blue Sky

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
dcarter wrote:
the Watcher wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:
Linwood Thorpe wrote:The newer stuff by both bands doesn't sound like the UT stuff, and that is a good thing.

NO! That is very BAD!! The new stuff is so dap. ;)

I wonder what's gonna happen when Doug finds this.
He already has. He's just posting under "hiredgun" rather than "dcarter".

That's my guess, anyway.
Fuck. All right, I admit it. I am hiredgun. It was a pain in the ass dual posting and trying to throw you all on a Brit track and shit anyway. I'm sorry for taking up board space. :oops:
HA! I proposed this very notion to Cal a few days ago, and we both panned your ability to pull it off. Good job. I was clueless until this thread, then I was pretty sure it was you. Kudos on the sneakyness, now don't do it anymore. ;)
:lol: I was looking for the "Who's Drinkin' What" thread and came across this from when I was on vacation. Dude, I am not/was not hired gun. I was just seeing who would bite. Hilarious!!

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

I personally don't see how anyone who was a fan of UT back when there was a UT, could possibly still be saying they like them both equally. That just ain't natural.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

dcarter wrote:
the Watcher wrote:
Lawrence Fan wrote:
Linwood Thorpe wrote:The newer stuff by both bands doesn't sound like the UT stuff, and that is a good thing.

NO! That is very BAD!! The new stuff is so dap. ;)

I wonder what's gonna happen when Doug finds this.
He already has. He's just posting under "hiredgun" rather than "dcarter".

That's my guess, anyway.
Fuck. All right, I admit it. I am hiredgun. It was a pain in the ass dual posting and trying to throw you all on a Brit track and shit anyway. I'm sorry for taking up board space. :oops:
HA! I proposed this very notion to Cal a few days ago, and we both panned your ability to pull it off. Good job. I was clueless until this thread, then I was pretty sure it was you. Kudos on the sneakyness, now don't do it anymore. ;)

ulsaint

Post by ulsaint »

I've thought long and hard about which one I like better and I waffle back and forth.

Let me say that I don't like either as much as I like their older work. I definitely think the Search is a huge step up from Okemah, which I just didn't care for much.

IMO, two things are hurting SV 2.0.

1. Jay's voice is not as gruff and is more high pitched. Some people like it. I don't. I don't know if he can't or if he just doesn't want to, but I miss the Life Worth Living, Whiskey Bottle growl Jay used to have.

2. Boquist was a much much better vocalist than Duplantis. Jay seemed to use more harmonies in the original lineup and I miss that.

As for SBS, it's growing on me. I really dig about half the album and the other half is eh ok.

Same for the Search. I really like a few of the songs like Meth., Highways, Underground Dream, and a few more but the rest are just ok.

Some are god awful. I don't give a shit what anyone says, but Slow Hearse is pure grade crap. Nothing on SBS is as bad as Slow Hearse.

All in all, I'd say I give it a draw, which is much better than I could say if I was comparing AGIB vs Okemah. AGIB is WAY better imo.

I tried to love Okemah and I like a few songs but none are classics except for maybe Atmosphere and Highway 61.

All in all, I wish both Jeff and Jay (especially Jay) would get back to a more alt. country sound. Jeff is better at being weird than Jay. I don't like either of Jay's solo albums. Flame on.

At their absolute peeks, Jay is > Tweedy. When they're so-so, I find I dig Tweedy more.

IMO, Anodyne, Trace and AM were the pinacle of both of their careers.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

And by the way,

someday somebody's gonna ask you
a question that you should say yes to
once in your life
maybe tonight i got a question for you...

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Well, debate and argument are two different things. i don't believe I would ever actually make an attempt to convince someone to like blueberries better than raspberries. (I like all berries equally, except for the great Chuck Berry, but hate apples, especially Fiona Apple, but not so much Apples in Stereo.)

That said, if someone likes Search or SBS better than Trace or Being There, more power to them (though secretly I gag at the thought.) I'm not an autocrat. My post was more or less just me expressing my feelings on the matter. I wasn't trying to put anybody down.

So which are your favorites, elliegurl? :)

calexico

Post by calexico »

elliegurl wrote:after reading different threads, post after post of arguing, of people making up aliases, and people trying their best to be rude and insulting to others it never ceases to amaze me how people can argue over the lamest things. who the fuck cares which cd is better? what is better to you may completely awful to me, but you know that's okay and no matter how rude or insulting one gets it still doesn't change what i like.! i don't need to prove to anybody that i am right and you are wrong because you know it just doesn't matter if you share my taste in music. its nice if people have things in common and enjoy the same things but it doesn't have to be. i mean some people like strawberrys, some people like blueberrys, some like cherrys (i know i am spelling them wrong) but you know what, i love raspberrys!!! raspberrys make my toes curl and i can eat pounds of them...so who in the world can tell me blueberrys are better? you don't know what i like! and no matter how rude and insulting one gets i still love raspberrys.
i am just glad jay and jeff are both making music and touring and both doing well at it. i listen to sbs and search equally. i enjoy BOTH equally. i like being there and i like sbs, i like uncle tupelo and i like the solo bands. and even if i liked one better who the hell am i to try and convince you that one is better then the other? yikes! so let me politely suggest that the next time one feels the need to be rude to another, take a deep breathe, and stop being a big stupid dope!
love,
ellie

Young lady wash your mouth out with soap!!

And stop hogging all the damn berries!

Linwood Thorpe

Post by Linwood Thorpe »

elliegurl wrote:after reading different threads, post after post of arguing, of people making up aliases, and people trying their best to be rude and insulting to others it never ceases to amaze me how people can argue over the lamest things. who the fuck cares which cd is better? what is better to you may completely awful to me, but you know that's okay and no matter how rude or insulting one gets it still doesn't change what i like.! i don't need to prove to anybody that i am right and you are wrong because you know it just doesn't matter if you share my taste in music. its nice if people have things in common and enjoy the same things but it doesn't have to be. i mean some people like strawberrys, some people like blueberrys, some like cherrys (i know i am spelling them wrong) but you know what, i love raspberrys!!! raspberrys make my toes curl and i can eat pounds of them...so who in the world can tell me blueberrys are better? you don't know what i like! and no matter how rude and insulting one gets i still love raspberrys.
i am just glad jay and jeff are both making music and touring and both doing well at it. i listen to sbs and search equally. i enjoy BOTH equally. i like being there and i like sbs, i like uncle tupelo and i like the solo bands. and even if i liked one better who the hell am i to try and convince you that one is better then the other? yikes! so let me politely suggest that the next time one feels the need to be rude to another, take a deep breathe, and stop being a big stupid dope!
love,
ellie
WORD. Best post ever. Debate is cool, but there are some batty, bored folks around here.

I do feel that more people need to make fun of Larry.

elliegurl

Post by elliegurl »

after reading different threads, post after post of arguing, of people making up aliases, and people trying their best to be rude and insulting to others it never ceases to amaze me how people can argue over the lamest things. who the fuck cares which cd is better? what is better to you may completely awful to me, but you know that's okay and no matter how rude or insulting one gets it still doesn't change what i like.! i don't need to prove to anybody that i am right and you are wrong because you know it just doesn't matter if you share my taste in music. its nice if people have things in common and enjoy the same things but it doesn't have to be. i mean some people like strawberrys, some people like blueberrys, some like cherrys (i know i am spelling them wrong) but you know what, i love raspberrys!!! raspberrys make my toes curl and i can eat pounds of them...so who in the world can tell me blueberrys are better? you don't know what i like! and no matter how rude and insulting one gets i still love raspberrys.
love,
ellie

creekwader

Post by creekwader »

megaballs1 wrote:Please be patient with me lyrics read like dialogue from "Girl Interrupted"...seriously folks, they're pathetic...can't he get it together?...
Exactly, I need to thank the lyric posters for reminding me why I listen to Jay more than Jeff these days. Thanks guys!

Tokyo Fan

Post by Tokyo Fan »

hiredgun wrote:
The Dude wrote:Wow, MuddyWaters has been hit in the head with said brick, but to each his own, I suppose. It's just surprising to hear the love for the newer stuff by someone who was around back in the UT formative days....
I think you speak for the majority of fans who were reared on the "old stuff." The Search, Trace, and Okemah as win, place and show is an odd trifecta indeed. I think we have to take what is "polled" on this forum with a mountain of salt, as I dont believe this site is a true sample of how most Jay Farrar fans feel. .. .
The forum poll, taken just a few weeks ago, has Trace as a Win (4.824 on a scale of 5), Anodyne as a Place (4.324) and Sebastopol as Show (4.264). Okemah and The Search are in the bottom 3. That said, it is always interesting to hear different perspectives, and as others have said, things that are happening in your life at the time weaves a heavy influence.

megaballs1

Post by megaballs1 »

Please be patient with me lyrics read like dialogue from "Girl Interrupted"...seriously folks, they're pathetic...can't he get it together?...

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

hg my man, no 'get the hell to viachicago' from me. never have and never will. the more the better. keep posting. you know, the postman always rings twice. ding dong, ding dong, is that the wizard behind the curtain? no way, it's richard buckner for your listening entertainment. saw him last night in orlando, tonight in tampa(ybor city). as stated earlier, a fabulous artist. live music is the essence of what is true and what is real. the real deal as merle travis, webb pierce and jimmie rodgers might agree if they were still pacing this planet.
keep the faith brothers and sisters, the signs are quiet evident if you only seek the truth.
over and out, mr. buckner beckons.

hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

No ones told me to fuck off and take it to viachicago, yet. :D I am impressed.

hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Muddy Waters wrote:Thanks for the Dude and Hired Guns comments...I appreciate you opinions..

I'm a transplanted Chicago guy who moved to the STL in 1986..and I was on the Tupelo train from the beginning..I'm 44 so I'm up there..In my ratings I did not include the UT albums..it's really a separte category..

IMHO Uncle Tupelo wans an incendiary star inevitably unable to reach that full evolution..There is no doubt about it...when I saw these guys kick into "Sandusky" hot off the release of March at a Sold Out Mississippi Nights in the Early 90's I got goose bumps where you knew something special was going down..Jeff and Jay had HUGE muscial chemistry...You name them and I've seen them since I started going to rock shows when I was 14.....

But these guys are 40 somethings...Jeff may be close to 40.....Perspecitives change..life changes when you have kids and get older..

There songwriting has also evolved...and IMHO it's simply better..but that's the great thing about Music it's subjective..I thinks the SBS is a flat out masterpiece..at least to these ears..this is my favorite song on the record and Jeff's best IMHO..While it may seem simplistic..It's not listen tot he piano intro..Weve all been there...thanks for the feedback..

"On And On And On"

On and on and on we'll stay together yeah
On and on and on we'll be together yeah
You and I will try to stay together yeah

Please don't cry we're designed to die
Don't deny what's inside
On and on and on
On and on and on

One day we'll disappear together in a dream
However short or long our lives are going to be
I will live in you or you will live in me
Until we disappear together in a dream

Please don't cry we're designed to die
You can't deny even the gentlest tide
On and on and on
On and on and on
We're going to try

Please don't cry
This world of words and meanings makes you feel
outside
Something that you feel already
deep inside
You've denied
Go ahead and cry

On and on and on
On and on and on

You and I will stay together yeah
You and I will try to make it better yeah
Well said.
To me Please Be Patient With Me is as good as anything he has ever done, if for no other reason than the way it hits home. In a way it's a continuation of Reservations from YHF. It takes a lot of courage to put these words on paper, IMO.

"Please Be Patient With Me"

I should warn you
When I'm not well
I can't tell
Oh, there's nothing I can do
To make this easier for you

You're gonna need to be patient with me

I'm this apple, this happening stone
When I'm alone
Oh, but my blessings get so blurred
At the sound of your words

I'm gonna need you to be patient with me

How can I warn you when my tongue turns to dust
Like we've discussed
It doesn't mean that I don't care
It means I'm partially there

You're gonna need to be patient with me

P.S. The bad ass fingerpicking doesnt hurt either.