Mind officially blown...

BoogieMan

Post by BoogieMan »

That was funny. I was just about to read about this tour

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

excerpts from an interview:

DWEEZIL:
As far as solo records, there's ten years between it. As far as other releases, there's, I don't know, four or five years between it. But the main absence really is a combination of just the change in the musical climate. Like the style of guitar playing, that I was inspired to learn how to play and want to do, is a very unpopular style of guitar playing. In fact, musicianship is at an all time low, so anybody who's actually good at their instrument is probably unpopular at this particular moment.

NYROCK:
Why do you think there's a shift away from musicianship, just popular tastes?

DWEEZIL:
Well, I think it's just what people have access to. The music that is played on the radio all the time or written about in magazines has nothing to do with musicianship. I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs. But I think what happens is because something sells a lot of records, people think, "Oh, it must be good."

There's no difference in a lot of people's minds between good musicians and popular musicians. I don't think you can get a typical 12 or 13 year old who's just starting to check out music right now and play them Billy Corgan or Eddie Van Halen and have them be able to tell you why one's better than the other. Just because they're not exposed to the background of where music comes from. You have plenty of examples of people who will sample songs and stuff like that, and kids will be like, when they hear the original, "that original version sucks," or "that version sucks, I like Puffy's version." I think it's just all based on what people are fed.

NYROCK:
Growing up, you had some pretty good exposure to some phenomenal guitar players. Would you, not necessarily get lessons, but how would that work, would you just kind of hang with them?

DWEEZIL:
Well, Steve Vai joined my dad's band right around the time when I actually started playing guitar. So he gave me a couple of lessons on fundamentals, and gave me some scales and practice things to work on. But I pretty much learned everything by ear. And, you know, my dad would show me some things sometimes, but the best things that I got to do were to actually see really good players play up close. That gives you an idea of fingering and technique and what not. So it opens up a lot of doors. I mean, I got to see Edward Van Halen up close early on too. And it really does let you see. Basically, it opens the door to the next level for you, when you can see something up close as opposed to just listening to it and trying to figure it out yourself. When you see it you go, "Oh, that's how it works."

bigdaddy

Mind officially blown...

Post by bigdaddy »

If you are a lover of virtuosity in music, you must see Zappa Plays Zappa if it comes through your town.

Never been a big Zappa fan (I am now) but a buddy had an extra ticket. I knew the name Dweezil but i didn't know he could play for shit.

I'll go on a limb right now and say that Dweezil Zappa is a guitar god. No shit and i don't use that term lightly. Every player in the band was stellar but Zappa was a FORCE.

I barely post anymore but i want you all to know that I posted because i felt it was my obligation to let you all know about this fine, fine live music. Consider yourself informed.

'nuff said.