Son Volt / Black Crowes

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

saw the crowes this past saturday in my hometown(unfortunately no sv). can't say that i am a huge crowes fan but enjoyed the show. a medium sized amphitheatre with decent acoustics but not really the venue for a raucous rock/roll show. the opening song no speak no slave kicked it off nicely and a neil young cover was very nicely done. the encore of don't do it (the band version) rocked and finished off a great show. will see meatloaf at the same venue on thursday and then on sunday a great rock venue(the revolution in ft liquordale) for stone sour.

roqdawg

Post by roqdawg »

Mule wrote:I know I already asked, but can somebody tell me where this pairing has been announced? I can't find any mention of SV opening for the Crowes....I'm in Philly so if this is going to happen in November, I want plenty of advanced notice to round up some folks and head down there....thanks in advance!
The shows are also listed on www.pollstar.com
and www.highroadtouring.com
http://www.highroadtouring.com/tour/sonvolt/

Antelope850

Post by Antelope850 »

It's on the Son Volt My Space site.

Mule

Post by Mule »

I know I already asked, but can somebody tell me where this pairing has been announced? I can't find any mention of SV opening for the Crowes....I'm in Philly so if this is going to happen in November, I want plenty of advanced notice to round up some folks and head down there....thanks in advance!

Pancho_lefty

Post by Pancho_lefty »

sam6025 wrote:I almost gave up and came back to the dark side last night at the Astros game. The pretzels, nachos and hot dogs looked awesome, but I settled with a partial bag of peanuts and a Diet Dr. Pepper. . :cry:
Well I'm sure that only set you back $50 bucks. Uncle Drayton thanks you. So long Purpura.

jleduc

Post by jleduc »

OMG!

Son Volt and the Black Crowes...

I have had a chance to see Jay four times and the Crowes three times, both up front and personal. The Black Crowes back in '96 at the Schnitz in Portland blew the doors off the place. Easily my all-time favorite live show.

I am not sure if the Crowes are as good as they used to be, but if any of you are dying to see a great live show, you couldn't do much better than this.

In Philly?

sam6025

Post by sam6025 »

I'm sorry TS&L...I almost gave up and came back to the dark side last night at the Astros game. The pretzels, nachos and hot dogs looked awesome, but I settled with a partial bag of peanuts and a Diet Dr. Pepper. Soon, I will look sickly like Brian! Okay, I won't get that thin, but you know...I envy the Henneman so, the killer weightloss, the solo at the end of Things You Didn't Know...He's cooler than me, so I torture others for my feelings of inadqeuacy. :cry:

hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

trousersnakeandlarry wrote:Sam is a sell out that has turned his back on the fat community.
:D :D

Judging from the looks of his avatar, you are correct, sir.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

You're welcome. :P

bwhite0421

Post by bwhite0421 »

sturgeongeneral wrote:bwhite, you inquired about the lee boys. i've seen them on 2 occasions. they are from the south fla area(specifically miami i believe). they're all brothers and nephews whose sound has roots in the house of god church. i believe their father is/was a minister. a very high energy show with some very mean pedal steel. r&b/blues/gospel/alt country kind of sound.
yeah a simple yahoo search answered some of my questions but it's always better to hear from those who have seen them live.

i loved robert randolph live but couldn't deal with the recorded version. i am guessin' that would be somewhat similar here. probably if the audience responds well they'll get a good show

thanks,

b

sturgeongeneral

Post by sturgeongeneral »

bwhite, you inquired about the lee boys. i've seen them on 2 occasions. they are from the south fla area(specifically miami i believe). they're all brothers and nephews whose sound has roots in the house of god church. i believe their father is/was a minister. a very high energy show with some very mean pedal steel. r&b/blues/gospel/alt country kind of sound.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

I'm not Sam but don't miss the Lee Boys. Sacred Steel in the House Of God tradition. Think Robert Randolph but less mainstream.

trousersnakeandlarry

Post by trousersnakeandlarry »

Sam is a sell out that has turned his back on the fat community.

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

hiredgun wrote:
sam6025 wrote:
calexico wrote:Sam, dude, why the hatin'?
Because I'm old and bitter...plus, seriously, outside of a fan boy who has no attachment to reasoning or logic, why ask that question? If Uncle Tupelo reunited and toured with the Black Crowes, UT would open.

But yeah, not quite the best reply after you been gone a while. My apologies for being abrasive and mean to the new guy...
If Uncle Tupelo reunited they would not be opening up for anyone. Ok, maybe Wilco or Son Volt. If the band ever gets back together, money will be the deciding factor and I can gurantee you they will not be sharing the wealth or glory with a band not affiliated with Jay or Jeff's musical endeavors.
After all of the other innuendo, you can now color me intrigued. Why/how can you "guarantee" this :?:

hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

sam6025 wrote:
calexico wrote:Sam, dude, why the hatin'?
Because I'm old and bitter...plus, seriously, outside of a fan boy who has no attachment to reasoning or logic, why ask that question? If Uncle Tupelo reunited and toured with the Black Crowes, UT would open.

But yeah, not quite the best reply after you been gone a while. My apologies for being abrasive and mean to the new guy...
If Uncle Tupelo reunited they would not be opening up for anyone. Ok, maybe Wilco or Son Volt. If the band ever gets back together, money will be the deciding factor and I can gurantee you they will not be sharing the wealth or glory with a band not affiliated with Jay or Jeff's musical endeavors.