conversion help

danmen

Post by danmen »

only way to convert purchased AAC files is to burn it to CD, then rip cd into whatever format you like... go to edit, preferences, advanced, importing, then change the "import using" drop down menu to your preffered format.

bwhite0421

Post by bwhite0421 »

danmen wrote: Yes, it is generally their proprietary AAC format, but you can burn the CD, then re-rip the CD into whatever format you want. I think with some of the new stuff there you may be able to skip the burn and convert method as they have fewer rights restrictions now on some stuff.
so, i went ahead and got the itunes because their store is the best of what i can find out there but here is what they say in their help section and i'm a little concerned that i'll buy something and not be able to convert etc. later. any thoughts?

Purchased songs are encoded using a protected AAC format that prevents them from being converted.)

cheers,

b

danmen

Post by danmen »

Another prop for itunes.... just a cool place to watch 30 second video clips like this one...
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 2&s=143441

bwhite0421

Post by bwhite0421 »

not to hijack my own thread but...............

burnt it on sonicstage, ripped it on media player, issue resolved...........

and now back to your regularly scheduled shitfest about the relative difference between computer platforms, audio formats, band lineups, setlists, best place to get a burrito and/or other minutiae

cheers,

b

dcarter

Post by dcarter »

roqdawg, I assume that at the advent of the CD age, you refused to buy albums that were not released on CD Gold or whatever that double the price audiophile format bullshit was that Dark Side Of The Moon and such were released in.
Also, I am not nor ever have been a member of the "Napster gang". I never downloaded any music until around 2 years ago. I have around 1000 CDs though. I am not blessed with the cilia and/or electronic components required to notice that mp3s sound like ass gas in comparison.

roqdawg

Post by roqdawg »

Lawrence Fan wrote:
Lastly, it might surprise you to know that there are people out there who,
get this, go both ways!

!!

;):D
I figured as much...

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

roqdawg wrote:I just don't understand the "take it with a smile" attitude so many people have for Itunes and such when they are being sold a lower quality product.
These are actually fun discussions. Seriously! :)

I won't say take it with a smile, but what I believe the difference is is that
often times a lower quality product is a better value than a higher quality
product. Things like versatility, cost and, especially for us lazy Americans,
convenience can easily outweigh the difference in bytes. And it's not like
iTunes is pulling the wool over my eyes. I know exactly what I'm getting.
Heck, I've got 50 to 60 GB of flacs sitting at my feet as I type this, so it's
not like I'm not aware of the difference between lossy and lossless. I just
happen to not care.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

roqdawg wrote:
Well there's your problem. Enjoy that while it lasts because that will be going by the wayside, too. Digital distribution is the future, there's nothing you can do about it. And that's ultimately a good thing. imo of course.

:)
I knew you would be chiming in next :D There is nothing wrong with digital distribution, and there is no reason why digital downloads cannot be "CD quality" as opposed to MP3, even if the choice is offered at a different price level. The record labels are selling crap and you guys are a bunch of horseflies loving every bit of it.
If by "selling crap" you mean mp3, well I guess one man's crap is another
man's gold. I hold that 9 out of 10 people can't tell the difference between
an mp3 at 128 kbps and a lossless version. I maintain that 99 out of 100
people could care less that there is a difference. I mean, we're not talking
about the London Philharmonic Symphony here. Furthermore, I hold that
the notion that an audiophile snob who thinks they have a better
understanding of what constitutes an acceptable media standard than a
hack mp3 lover is, frankly, a load of horse shit.

Lastly, it might surprise you to know that there are people out there who,
get this, go both ways!

!!

;):D

roqdawg

Post by roqdawg »

danmen wrote:I think the main point I was making is that since you were willing to shell out $10 to one of us for a pirated copy of "inferior quality" music, why not just buy it legitmately. Either way, you get the song, albeit a digitally compressed one, but one way you are out $10 by getting a pirate copy vs only $8.00 for buying the 8 bonus tracks.
I get the point, but the offer was meant to be a statement. Some people won't shop at Walmart and will gladly pay more for the same item elswhere just to satisfy themselves of not supporting a company or business practice they do not approve of...though personally I could care less about where I buy a CD. I just despise the thought of paying nearly the same price for a lesser product (Itunes). If they add an option for flac I would be there and done that. The new bussiness model is not only to sell you a lesser quality product, but to monitor your use of it and prevent you from having anything to show for it later (like a used CD that can be sold, passed on, or given away).
I will wait for the music to eventually show up in a format that I am willing to support, it usually does...even if it's a promotional CD that I pay through the nose for and Jay doesn't see one cent from the sale. He (or Sony), makes his choices and I make mine.
It's 8 songs...err 9 now but I'm not dwelling on it. I just don't understand the "take it with a smile" attitude so many people have for Itunes and such when they are being sold a lower quality product. Perhaps it's because I listen to music on a Hi-Fi system and not my computer.

My appologies to bwhite for sidetracking this thread with an argument I have already hashed through on this board...My comment was only in support of his frustration with sonyconnect, nor meant to stir up the Napster gang.

Roqdawg

danmen

Post by danmen »

I think the main point I was making is that since you were willing to shell out $10 to one of us for a pirated copy of "inferior quality" music, why not just buy it legitmately. Either way, you get the song, albeit a digitally compressed one, but one way you are out $10 by getting a pirate copy vs only $8.00 for buying the 8 bonus tracks.

roqdawg

Post by roqdawg »

...in fact I'd rather he didn't. I'd rather him make a dollar if he'd release his music on CD, the current mainstream state of the art format for commercially released music.
Well there's your problem. Enjoy that while it lasts because that will be going by the wayside, too. Digital distribution is the future, there's nothing you can do about it. And that's ultimately a good thing. imo of course.

:)[/quote]

I knew you would be chiming in next :D There is nothing wrong with digital distribution, and there is no reason why digital downloads cannot be "CD quality" as opposed to MP3, even if the choice is offered at a different price level. The record labels are selling crap and you guys are a bunch of horseflies loving every bit of it.

Lawrence Fan

Post by Lawrence Fan »

roqdawg wrote:
Roqdawg, surely you have a friend who is less up in arms about the government/apple/sony consipiracy to get in the back door of your PC to look at all the stuff on your disk. The musically responsible thing to do would be to buy an Ipod Gift Card for $10 (you can buy one virtually anywhere - Target, grocery store, etc - you can even pay cash so the man can't tell you are succombing) - give said card to friend, that frien can download all the bonus track (they are quite good by the way) and burn them to a CD. That way you remain anonymous and your pc stays as safe as you already think it is and Jay might score a sale and make a dime while you are at it.
...in fact I'd rather he didn't. I'd rather him make a dollar if he'd release his music on CD, the current mainstream state of the art format for commercially released music.

:)

roqdawg

Post by roqdawg »

Roqdawg, surely you have a friend who is less up in arms about the government/apple/sony consipiracy to get in the back door of your PC to look at all the stuff on your disk. The musically responsible thing to do would be to buy an Ipod Gift Card for $10 (you can buy one virtually anywhere - Target, grocery store, etc - you can even pay cash so the man can't tell you are succombing) - give said card to friend, that frien can download all the bonus track (they are quite good by the way) and burn them to a CD. That way you remain anonymous and your pc stays as safe as you already think it is and Jay might score a sale and make a dime while you are at it.
I'm not really interested if Jay scores a dime off my potential itunes purchase...in fact I'd rather he didn't. I'd rather him make a dollar if he'd release his music on CD, the current mainstream state of the art format for commercially released music. I could be wrong but I'd think that special run of vinyl cost more than a CD pressing these days....It's not a question of my PC remaining safe...it's an inferior music format....if you guys like paying for that, than more power to ya.

danmen

Post by danmen »

[/quote]

BTW...if anybody will send me a CDR rip of the expanded 22 track "Search", and a 1 track CDR of "Hello Goodbye", I would gladly sent "YOU" $10.00.

End of rant,

Roqdawg[/quote]

danmen

Post by danmen »

[/quote]

BTW...if anybody will send me a CDR rip of the expanded 22 track "Search", and a 1 track CDR of "Hello Goodbye", I would gladly sent "YOU" $10.00.

End of rant,

Roqdawg[/quote]